Photosounder spin-off program

Official support for: photosounder.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I came to the conclusion that I should probably start creating a program (or more than one) that would focus on doing one thing and doing it right and simply (something you don't need a manual or tutorials to learn to use), which would be an improvement over having one program that lets you do anything but doesn't even tell you how or what. So this thread is about discussing what you would like to see.

The algorithms of Photosounder are pretty powerful and allow to do a lot, in synthesis or in audio processing, so I guess anything is possible, except things that rely on processing audio input with low latency (although technically that would be possible in some cases, provided that low latency means ~30 ms). It doesn't even have to be already doable with Photosounder either, it can be anything, but unlike anything else out there it could use the power of image-based processing/synthesis. And preferably it would be a standalone app. It can be a VST but for that to happen I'd have to partner up with a VST developer.

Just some examples of ideas: a time-stretcher/pitch-shifter, a graphical vocoder, a multiband compressor, something that does outlandish effects (such as some effects demoed in the Photosounder youtube video or blog), something that generates ambient sounds, something that acts like a granular synth except the Photosounder way (with images and such). It goes way beyond that, there's too many possibilities to think of them all let alone list them all.

I have ideas but I have NO idea what people might care for. Naturally if you come up with an idea I choose to implement you get the final product and all its updates for free (so feel free to specify the price point too), and naturally you get to beta test.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

i would be very intersted, sounds awesome

In order of preference, thinking about your suggestions, I would go for one of the following....

1) A graphical vocoder
2) A graphically based granular synthesizer
3) An Ambient Sound generator

What I would love to get my hands on, however, is a very simple/basic level DAW that played images instead of loops. Something that would generate a wav file that I could then save and import into a more advanced DAW and use it in other musical compositions.

A bit more clarification.... I know how to create wav files using Photosounder, but I would like to be able to use multiple images in the same way I do loops and samples now. Create the images in Photoshop. Tweak them in Photosounder. And then use them instead of loops and samples.

lahazard wrote:In order of preference, thinking about your suggestions, I would go for one of the following....

1) A graphical vocoder
2) A graphically based granular synthesizer
3) An Ambient Sound generator

What I would love to get my hands on, however, is a very simple/basic level DAW that played images instead of loops. Something that would generate a wav file that I could then save and import into a more advanced DAW and use it in other musical compositions.

A bit more clarification.... I know how to create wav files using Photosounder, but I would like to be able to use multiple images in the same way I do loops and samples now. Create the images in Photoshop. Tweak them in Photosounder. And then use them instead of loops and samples.
Thanks for the feedback. For the graphical vocoder the way I see it you would be able to load two sounds and see them simultaneously as well as the result of their vocoding in a split screen manner, and for the modulator you'd have a knob to choose how many (non-discrete) frequency bands to have. Also possibly a knob to stretch or squeeze the modulator to adjust its length in time. Maybe even something to morph the modulator, as in, set bars on the original modulator, and in the result view move the bars arounds to fit the carrier. Maybe also options to not use a carrier from a sound but rather synthesise one? I don't know what else a vocoder needs, I'd have to check it (that's the part you tell me what features you'd really like to see in it). Same for the other two, I'd have to familiarise myself with how they're normally done.

As for the DAW thing, it sounds like all you're missing is a way to import several images in the same project? That's in the plans for soon for Photosounder. But why don't you just create your layers in Photosounder? Photosounder has some pretty well suited tools for that.

Actually after doing some research I concluded that perhaps I should do a VSTi (or several). Any thoughts on what you'd like to see in a VSTi synth based on Photosounder technology?

Thanks for the additional info! I continue to be amazed at the depth of options in Photosounder and really do need to explore the use of layers more than i have.

I like your latest idea about creating some VSTi synths. I will give it some thought and post some suggestions in another post.

lahazard wrote:Thanks for the additional info! I continue to be amazed at the depth of options in Photosounder and really do need to explore the use of layers more than i have.

I like your latest idea about creating some VSTi synths. I will give it some thought and post some suggestions in another post.
Thanks. I just released a tutorial that explains a bit better how to use layers, hope that helps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVuX1POU6Dw

Thanks! I spent some time with this last night (after you posted it on facebook.) It has provide me with a desire to spend more time exploring these features. Up to this point I have basically been playing around and experimenting. It's time to go deeper!

lahazard wrote:Thanks! I spent some time with this last night (after you posted it on facebook.) It has provide me with a desire to spend more time exploring these features. Up to this point I have basically been playing around and experimenting. It's time to go deeper!
Glad to hear that. My hope is that by making more such tutorials maybe users will do something else than using Photosounder in a really really basic way (i.e. just turning photographs into sounds or just using time-stretching).

I'll come back to this because it's fun to think about stuff like this, but one thing off the top of my head is a plugin that loads effects you've created in photosounder. This is partially selfish because I like photosounder, but I think this might let you maximize your resources. Ideally, you are rewarded for improving photosounder and making it easier to use by the users that make cool effects that can be used as plugins that they give out for free or a nominal fee. This model seems to work out really well for Native Instruments with Reaktor.

Maybe that concept itself would work? One bigger building tool and another simple plugin.

I do think you'd have a hard sell with a simpler program that works standalone unless it outclassed all competitors by a large margin. I have a feeling people are much more likely to go for convenience. Standalone isn't an issue with photosounder because I can do so much with it.

The other option for simple standalone is if you go completely mass market, like the "iamtpain" app, but that's a difficult market and if I had any brilliant ideas that I knew were going sell a million copies I'd be implementing them myself, I think. :lol:

If you do go for a plugin, Audio Units, too please! :lol: I've heard that JUCE is very useful for making plugins, although I have no experience myself.

Under the quote is a response I split off the other thread, because while I'd love to see OSC in photosounder, what I'm talking about probably makes more sense in a new plugin becasue you could also think about them as automatable parameters.

It's funny, in the time since I wrote this an app has shown up for iOS that works similar to what I described, but photosounder is better in all regards except playability. I've linked to a post containing videos at the bottom. I dunno how iOS people survive at that price point!
A_SN wrote:Yeah well, what parts of OSC are YOU interested in? I mean, sure we could have it control knobs, but are knobs that useful? We could also have like a XY surface to draw stuff or control playback, but would that really be useful?

Yes! :lol: I already use photosounder as a "monophonic" wavetable/single cycle waveform synth. You can use the cursor tool as an infinite sustain tool! This would let me take if further from a playability stand point.

I'd hope you could control multiple tools/parameters at once, either by combining OSC messages and standard mouse,keys, trackpad or all through OSC.

I think some slight adjustments would help a lot but they shouldn't be too bad. :) A cross fade option while looping would help cut down on clicks while using the move tool. I think a way to select any layer you wanted using touch would also be very important.

From there you can do lots of cool stuff with live synthesis.

Weird things I'd try to setup OSC to do: send sequences to the pixel/second time resolution, movement adjustments to a layer, change blend modes to a layer. Set up button to turn on and off layers.

Something hard to set up that might be worthwhile would be recognizing multiple "cursor" tools or allow the user to define zones triggered by different OSC messages. That way you could get polyphony by holding down multiple points at once. It'd be very cool with photosounder because it would be easy to set up different amplitude/pitch/ filter envelopes in a single image.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/08/d ... x-creator/

lahazard wrote:
Have you tried this

http://www.nullpointer.co.uk/content/?p=282
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
lahazard wrote:
Have you tried this

http://www.nullpointer.co.uk/content/?p=282

Did not know about this! Thanks!

Return to “Photosounder”