Need a laptop dont need the best just good enough

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,
I currently use an old Toshiba 17" i3 4gb win 8.1 laptop. It is starting to give me some trouble.
Any recommendations of replacements to check into?
Looking to spend 500-100 usd.
I dont need the latest and greatest. I usually only run 8 to 12 tracks with amp sims, vocals, drum vst, synth/keys vst, and a couple fx vst.
I like 17" but 15" would be ok if I could plug in a bigger monitor. Oh, and at least 4 usb ports!
Thanks all.
James

Look for a used laptop with an i7-8750H, it's still plenty fast and will be more than enough for you. Acer Nitro 5 or Lenovo L340, or maybe Asus TUF gaming.
4 USB ports on a laptop? Unlikely, just use a 5$ USB hub like I do.

Is your budget $500-1000USD or $100-500USD? It looks like you might have made a typo.

If your budget is $1,000USD and all your stuff will run on an M1 MacBook Air, I think that is a no brainer. The performance, cost and battery life is exceptional.

If you want to stay in the PC world, I think Microsoft devices are best. Long term support from other vendors is so unreliable that I can't take them seriously. Microsoft have demonstrated that they can provide a level of long term support that rivals Apple.

Yeah. It was 500 to 1000. Think I will get a less powerful laptop to hold me over while I build another desktop system. Prolly take a while to get parts for one.
Thanks all,
James

The hp 17-ca0xxx 17.3" touchscreen /w dvdrom has got it all, sputters a bit but pulls through. I'd upgrade with an ssd, go with samsung evo 500 or 1tb, they're 99 / 169 cad right now. Also picked up 2 x dual chanel 2666 kingston hyperx ddr 4 ram also (116 cad) , and a 1tb 2.5" crucial ssd using 3d nand. You can also put a conventional/2.5" ssd in that bay also. Roughly 550 cad

It can be upgraded, that's the nicest part. The graphics though, unsure about that; I'll be trying out the older version of the radeon software called crimson, apparently it has amd overdrive built in allowing a bit more speed. I'll try and get another 100mhz out of the core speed and that should be sufficient. Not a gaming pc.

edit: mine has 3.2ghz amd a9 9425 with radeon 5 graphics built in.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”