Can't receive MIDI from Yamaha DX21

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I've tried Ableton Live and Tobybear Minihost. Both of them accept MIDI input from my computer keyboard, but neither of them will take anything from the DX21.

Here is my setup in Live:

I know the DX's audio works because if I plug the output into my speakers, I get sound. It's only when I try MIDI. I have the MIDI IN and OUT from the DX going to the gameport/MIDI port on my SB Live. When I press keys on the DX, I get no MIDI signal light in Live (but I do get a signal light with the computer keyboard.) I have tried what seems like every combination of enabling & disabling things in the Live MIDI setup. I have tried receiving from each of the 16 MIDI channels, as well as "all channels" (as you can see in the screenshot.)

Is it possible the MIDI is just dead on the DX, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Seiken

are you sure your midi cable is ok?

It's brand new. I bought it specifically for this purpose.

I know this might sound really obvious, but do you have the MIDI cable plugged in the right socket ? The MIDI out socket should connect to the MIDI in of your soundcard. When I first got into MIDI, I spent hours pulling my hair out until I swapped the plugs over in a moment of desperation !! LOL ;)

People who are new to this (I'm not saying you are) often think you have to connect OUT to OUT etc.

Have you selected local off on your keyboard?

It might also be the DX21 isn't set up to transmit on the correct channel. Check the DX21 manual for MIDI set up.

I also have a dx-21...did you enable midi in your synth?
Cerca almeno di essere l'uomo che il tuo cane immagina tu sia.

carlos wrote:Have you selected local off on your keyboard?
The Local On/Off setting doesn't affect MIDI output, it just switches the internal triggering of the synth on & off :)

Lovesign wrote:I know this might sound really obvious, but do you have the MIDI cable plugged in the right socket ? The MIDI out socket should connect to the MIDI in of your soundcard. When I first got into MIDI, I spent hours pulling my hair out until I swapped the plugs over in a moment of desperation !! LOL ;)

People who are new to this (I'm not saying you are) often think you have to connect OUT to OUT etc.
I was thinking this too..had the same experiences

bluedad wrote:
Lovesign wrote:I know this might sound really obvious, but do you have the MIDI cable plugged in the right socket ? The MIDI out socket should connect to the MIDI in of your soundcard. When I first got into MIDI, I spent hours pulling my hair out until I swapped the plugs over in a moment of desperation !! LOL ;)

I was thinking this too..had the same experiences
LOL, I think we all did something as silly as that at one time :) We were all n00bs once ;)

20 years later and I still make stupid mistakes :oops:

check if midi is enabled into dx21: press the function key and then the third key on bank "A" (midi on/off)

fliffo wrote:check if midi is enabled into dx21: press the function key and then the third key on bank "A" (midi on/off)
And then check the MIDI transmit channel on the DX21 matches the input MIDI channel on your host.

yep!

Oh, you guys. I am the ultimate retard. No only did I have the MIDI cables in the wrong ports (had to reverse IN and OUT,) but I also didn't have MIDI enabled on the DX21! Ah, thanks so much :) Now I have an infinite number of sounds at my disposal.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”