The linux DAW thread

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
KVRAF
7999 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Post Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:59 pm

Paree wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:41 pm
Not to mention all the uhe synths and carla!
U-he made a great contribution to musicians by porting their products to linux.
It inspired new interest in linux vst plugin format, and Qtractor daw coder
Rui Capela put in some long hours to support the capability for multiple vst plugins to reside in a single installer, as is the case with Zebra 2, Repro, and Filterscape. I hope a lot of linux musicians will add a U-he product to Santa's wishlist this year. World class sound, and world class fun :party: The screenshot is Hive 2, Zebra 2, and ZebraHZ running in a CD sized Puppy linux, in linux version of the reaper daw.

I was able to install and use the Akai MPC Beats you mentioned, seems like an excellent and deep creative environment :hyper: I'll definitely need the manual and videos :hihi:
Cheers
HiveZebraZebraHZ.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRAF

Post Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:13 pm

This is the default wallpaper from the particular version of Puppy Bionic64 linux
I use. It's one of the few backgrounds I never considered replacing. I assumed it was India, but a horticulturist might be able to prove it, sure is a beautiful landscape!
Is this India.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRist
340 posts since 21 Jun, 2015 from India

Post Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:31 am

glokraw wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:13 pm
This is the default wallpaper from the particular version of Puppy Bionic64 linux
I use. It's one of the few backgrounds I never considered replacing. I assumed it was India, but a horticulturist might be able to prove it, sure is a beautiful landscape!

Is this India.jpg
It might be India, but it can be any other south asian country like Sri Lanka, Malaysia or Indonasia, We do have a lot of coconut trees here in India.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVmlgT ... subscriber
Waveform 11, Synth1, Zebralette, TAL Noisemaker, Helm, Firebird (Legacy) and Surge.

KVRAF

Post Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:10 pm

It's FridayDrumFreak time, and I wanted to play my Alesis QS8
synth drums/kits using guitar, (substitute brands etc) so

SonuusAlesisHydroRak.png

Connect Sonuus GM2 guitar-midi output (or similar device)
to
Alesis synth midi-in
Select drumkit from Alesis interface,
connect Alesis audio out to linux audio-in .
connect linux audio-in to rakarrack for effects
experiment choosing Alesis kits/sounds (they are based on the D4 drum module from the 90's)
------------------------------------------------
It's Friday, so also connect a synth's midi-through to linux audio
midi interface midi-in
Start Hydrogen, and connect using qjackctl, and pick a kit

The Sonuus GM2 is for single note midi, and isn't up to shredding, and does best with a perfectly tuned guitar. But it is plug and play,
and rewards exploration. Has a AA battery slot, and shuts off after
after 30 minutes without input, and restarts by replugging the guitar cable. Plus it has a tuning regimen built in.
Cheers

Since drums aren't primarily melodic it may take longer than usual
to find patterns to record, but the journey may hold surprises.

A second Hydrogen or other well-behaving drum software can be
added as well, so once the routings are wedged in the cranium chasms, all future Fridays are at your mercy :party:
Last edited by glokraw on Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF

Post Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:15 pm

Here are the basic qjackctl connections:
alsa-midi-connections.png
audio-connections.png

KVRist

Post Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:54 pm

I tested out latest version of Caustic on Wine and it works perfectly:

Here are the DAWs that have worked flawlessly so far:
Cakewalk
MPC Beats
Caustic (Wine Stable)
Ableton Live 10
nanoStudio 1

DAWs that didn't work:
Studio One 5
Waveform 11, Synth1, Zebralette, TAL Noisemaker, Helm, Firebird (Legacy) and Surge.

KVRAF

Post Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:18 pm

Since a free version of Matt Tytels excellent Vital synth is on the way, here is a screenshot of the LV2 version hosted by Qtractor daw, in Ubuntu Studio 20.04

Vital-LV2-at-play.png

A must-have powerhouse synth, and because it's great fun to use, a playhouse party synth. 8) It has multi-tiered pricing beyond the free version, and a bargain is available for a few days in the notes from a video:

https://youtu.be/UmSQZRmYOa8

KVRist

Post Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:01 am

Tested Few Plugins and Reason
KV311 Synthmaster Player - Works Flawlessly
D16 Drumazon - Works Flawlessly
Orb Synth - Works with minor glitches in GUI
Reason 11 - Installs, Fails on loading, however the rack plugin worked with Ableton installed via Wine. The plugin didn't work via carla or linvst3. Standalone gives Unkown Exception due to some plugin, renaming plugin folder temporarily fixes the issue, however menus cannot be accessed.Offline authentication does not work either, So a its a no go.

KVRAF

Post Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:57 pm

The Vital Synth release has arrived, with free, paid, paid more,
and subscription offers :hyper: Santa better not screw this up :dog:
For linux users, there are LV2, standalone, and vst3 versions.
If you hate wearing sunglasses while studying wavetables and mod matrices,
Carla is a good choice for long sessions 8)

Better stock up on coffee and pizzas, the holiday and the weekend are coming :party:

Vital-Carla.png

KVRist

Post Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:49 pm

glokraw wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:57 pm
The Vital Synth release has arrived, with free, paid, paid more,
and subscription offers :hyper: Santa better not screw this up :dog:
For linux users, there are LV2, standalone, and vst3 versions.
If you hate wearing sunglasses while studying wavetables and mod matrices,
Carla is a good choice for long sessions 8)

Better stock up on coffee and pizzas, the holiday and the weekend are coming :party:

Vital-Carla.png
Yay, finally a great serum alternative for Linux native. Surge used to fill that role, vital does it better.

Fun fact: Matt is a Linux user, found out from vital discord.

KVRAF

Post Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:04 am

Some of the common problems I read about in kvr threads, can be addressed by a simple linux setup on a usbstick, sd cardreader, or even a booted linux dvd/cd.

Missing a few 'reality' shows, sports broadcasts, or social media fests, yields enough time to learn the linux basics, and even discover some productivity.

Funny that win 10 victims are worried about their plugins being the malware, the irony is thicker than a slice of your mother-in-laws holiday fruitcake :scared: :dog:

KVRist

Post Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:37 am

Found a linux binary for the open source synth Tonez and uploaded to github. you can find the binary here
https://github.com/Paree24/ToneZ/releases/tag/1.3
you need to install csound for the plugin to work
@glokraw, if you want you can post the link in linux musicians forums

https://github.com/Paree24/ToneZ/releases/tag/1.3

KVRAF

Post Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:19 am

A new OS and a new synth arriving in the same week can only mean one thing,
sleep deprivation :scared: :dog: :hyper:

Pic shows the new release of AVLinux, a debian/MX-Linux system, running the new Vital synth from Matt Tytel, in linux Qtractor daw. Birds would be singing, but global warming has driven them to their southerly migration playgrounds early, as skiers are vying for lift tickets amid various virus restrictions.

AVLinuxQtractorVital.png

KVRAF

Post Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:52 am

A new standalone generative sound creator is released from Boris Kovalev, called EthericFields. Boris was a big part of AlgoMusic, and known well for his own coding adventures, like Ambitron and psyGen.

Follow the readme file steps to get the new app working. A few extra clicks are needed. It's churning out new sounds as I write this, with a few seconds pause between regenerations, blending ambient, industrial, engine-room, and choral qualities in a stream of drones.

I'm using wineasio, qjackctl, and Jack Timemachine to to drive, connect and record the output. No doubt renewed interest for his previous projects will be hitting sundry forums soon :hyper:

EthericFields.jpg

I suggest just letting it run and be recorded, and note the time of the good parts, so it will be easy to fetch them from a long wav file in audacity. OOH, OOOHH...a good one incoming!!! :tu: Boris, hope you are doing very well. :clap:

Also, Timemachine pre-buffers about 10 seconds of audio, so with EthericFields connected, do your computer sundries, and when you hear a keeper, just press the record button in that timeframe, and you won't have missed the fade-in :hyper:
Cheers
Last edited by glokraw on Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF

Post Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:35 am

Here's a teaser, blended a few short clips from the longer portions. Expecting the unexpected would be lucky :wink:
EthericFields.mp3.zip

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”