The linux DAW thread

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MusE Rosegarden Waveform Pro

audiojunkie wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:02 pm
ckam03 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:46 pm Awesome, I'm gonna give it a go then. KDE is looking pretty sweet these days.
If you don't already have Kontakt (Maybe you already do...), there is an incredible trick that is working right now that allows you get it really cheap. You can get Kontact for $124.50 US dollars. :-)

1. You have to buy Embertone's free Arcane sound library.
2. Install Native Access
3. Log onto the Native Instruments website, and go to the Kontakt 6 pricing page and select the 'Crossgrade' option.

Doing this will give you a price of $124.50 Euro. If you are buying in US dollars, you will be offered a price of $124.50.

This method works until September 20th

See the following blog post for more details:

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2021/0 ... est-price/

Be sure to read the comments on the post which explains why the US cost comes out to $124.50 instead of $150. :-)
Marked that date down on my calendar already :hihi: but thanks for the tip

[NEWS] SLUB Adapted To Be Real-Time Linux Compatible (PREEMPT_RT)

New news about the real-time kernel patches upstreaming (to the mainline kernel) that is going on:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... Compatible

Written by Michael Larabel in Linux Kernel on 9 September 2021 at 12:00 AM EDT. 3 Comments

LINUX KERNEL -- One of the nice low-level improvements we've seen with Linux 5.15 is a number of pieces falling into place in the quest of upstreaming the real-time (RT) patches for Linux. The latest merge makes SLUB RT-compatible.

The big RT addition for Linux 5.15 was the PREEMPT_RT locking code being merged and that representing a bulk of the previously outstanding real-time patches needing to be upstreamed. That is a big milestone albeit not across the finish line yet and more of the kernel code continues to be adapted to make it compatible with RT configurations.

Linux's SLUB memory management code on Wednesday saw RT support merged. The SLUB allocation code is now considered "fully PREEMPT_RT compatible" and so far has been found to not introduce any performance regressions for RT or non-RT kernel configurations -- besides the expected RT tradeoff of some throughput regressions due to preemption improvements through the RT mutex.

The merge comment notes, "This series was initially inspired by Mel's pcplist local_lock rewrite, and also interest to better understand SLUB's locking and the new primitives and RT variants and implications. It makes SLUB compatible with PREEMPT_RT and generally more preemption-friendly, apparently without significant regressions, as the fast paths are not affected."

More details on the SLUB changes for Linux 5.15 via the merge.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Want a fine sounding simple amp/filter plugin to fix up
a piano or other sound? I've used Sir Elliot's 1977 on pianos, and it really is easy craft a tone you're happy with. Might be 2013 old, might be Synthmaker, but an easy end result from a nice gui is what counts. Also some nice EQ's at the link:

http://sirelliotvst.blogspot.com/

K6piano-thru1977-amp.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Lamp is a DecentSampler sound from

www.Pianobook.co.uk

that is great to blend with pianos etc for some relaxing ambience. It isn't a reverb, but something it's creator
sampled after repeatedly bonking his head into it
while working at home in lockdown :hihi:

1977amp-K6-The-Lamp.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The link is to a DecentSampler fender Stratocaster lib, that is getting
very positive reviews. :hyper:

https://www.pianobook.co.uk/library/rjs-guitar/

Sometimes it's therapy to just play a piano, without all the hoopla
and complexities. In this case, I loaded one of the PianoBook 's
DecentSampler Pianos, and turned off most of the Rakarrack modules in the preset, leaving just EQ and Reverb to adjust, and then enjoy some peaceful moments. :pray:
(This is the standalone version of DecentSampler, so you have to set it's audio/midi prefs from it's gui. It installs to .local/bin)

rakarrackDecentPiano.jpg

It's finally possible to activate Melodyne 5 with the current wine-staging (6.18) :party:

And maybe some more people could try SA_BOTAGE

Thanks for mentioning this. I think I have a light Melodyne version that came as part of a hardware bundle, and I have a wine 6.18 setup, so I'll try to find and install it. Which linux is the wine 6.18 installed in?
Cheers

I get it from the WineHQ repository, so I don't think distro matters much.

For the patient geniouses out there, the old Quik Qwak Barchimes plugin is great fun, even though the gui is not rendered perfectly (you may have better luck) Velocity control is important, as hitting a bar hard might make it strike the one next to it, and a chain reaction, both visual and audio may result. I'm more a mental patient than patient genious, but it's great fun. Demos are available

https://www.quikquak.com/downloads.html

I applied a Replika diffusion reverb to make the
DecentSampler strat into a nice pad beneath the chimes.

quikqwak-3D-bar-chimes-plugin.jpg

This post should have preceded the one above,

I used Tone2 Nanohost to make UGO's Dualisn dual-arpeggiator plugin a standalone executable, and used that to arpeggiate the linux Reaper, arping whatever tracks reaper has going. I used DecentSampler with a stratocaster guitar sound, effected by rakarrack, and all recorded by jackd Timemachine.

dualism.exe-reaper-DecentSampler-rakarrack.jpg

Audio Assault are having a sale, with the Blacksun ampsim for $0.00…
With lx standalone and vst2

There are times when two audio devices as inputs are desired, and the alsa_in command makes that easy. In my case, it's usually a Fender usb guitar amp, and my Alesis QS8 midi keyboard,

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/alsa_in -j 2496 -d hw:1 "M Audio Audiophile 24/96" -q 1 2>&1 1> /dev/null 

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/alsa_in -j mustang -d hw:Audio "Fender Mustang-GT USB Audio" -q 1 2>&1 1> /dev/null 
type arecord -l in a terminal, and you'll see your available input devices within brackets. Paste that text without the brackets, but in quotes, as seen in the two examples above. The name following the -j can be what you desire.

In the screenshot, I can play/record from the Fender usb amp, while someone else could use the Alesis to play the Hydrogen drumkit samples, with or without the pattern playing, as well as the Yoshimi synth sounds. One-man-band types could trigger long evolving Yoshimi sounds between riffs, to be accompanied by guitar, as the Hydrogen drum machine plays on.

alsa_in-guitar-drums-keys.png

I now have my instrumental music on Spotify and the other streaming sites supplied by Distrokid. I tried to have the song cover art and titles be indicative of the general mood and energy, as there is a lot of variety. I can blame U-he, NI, IK, BlueCat, KV331, William Kafelz, ArtVera, and the late Tim Conrardy and H. G. Fortune, for creating so many sounds I could not resist playing. :hyper:
A search for Franklin Cheney on common streaming sites should find the music. These songs are all made in my various linux setups. So distro creators like Puppy Studio IOwt3ch, AVLinux Glen MacArthur, the various Ubuntu Studio and Bodhi linux teams, Texstar for pclinuxos. And of course, the premier linux audio package supplier, falkTX, with his many KX Studio releases over oh so many years :hyper:

Some samples:

https://open.spotify.com/track/1IPaQJ1W ... 5800e14ffb

https://open.spotify.com/track/0ka2JemP ... 54e784415d

https://open.spotify.com/track/4yfbGI9z ... 754c0c4044

https://open.spotify.com/track/5bPtF55g ... 01302946af

Hope you find a few you enjoy!

Studio Dave Phillips is an author/musician/all-around-great-guy, who has provided countless linux based musicians with solutions to the many tough technical issues over the years, as well as pointing out the totally obvious things we missed, or failed to read up on, without hammering away at us. :hihi:
Men like Dave are far too rare, in any area of expertise and society! :clap:
Cheers

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”