Windows 8: update or not

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic

Will you update to Windows 8?

I update later this year or 2013
22%
I stay with Win7/XP as long as possible
49%
Never, I switch to another platform (MacOS, Linux,...)
5%
Not for my desktop PC but for Surface Tablet/Laptop
5%
I'm not sure
12%
Yes but only if I don't lost my installed stuff
3%
This is the first time I hear about Windows 8
0%
No idea, I'm only the housecleaner^^
4%

Total votes: 242

RELATED
PRODUCTS

SJ_Digriz wrote:
Improv wrote: Was just reading today that after you do the Win 8 install, a video pops up explaining how to navigate and use W8. Now if you need a video to explain an OS, it's not very user friendly.

I was never a big Apple fan, but their products are looking better and better.
This is one of those ignorant posts I was referring to.
In your dreams. Have fun contributing to the Save Microsoft charity drive! :roll:

Improv wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:
Improv wrote: Was just reading today that after you do the Win 8 install, a video pops up explaining how to navigate and use W8. Now if you need a video to explain an OS, it's not very user friendly.

In your dreams. Have fun contributing to the Save Microsoft charity drive! :roll:
says the person who heard from someone that there might be something that could possibly support the opinion that the internet fed into his head.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

I would have settled for a stable Windows 2000. :hihi:

Microsoft seems to forget that Windows is a means to an end not the end itself. But no doubt they will keep pumping out new versions because folks gotta get paid. That's capitalism for ya.
I mean, for how many decades have they been "improving" and adding new ingredients to Shampoo eh? By now the stuff should be curing cancer by the first rinse. You bring something to the point where it works just fine, after that you're changing it just to keep it fresh and to keep the money rolling in.

I'll stick with Windows 7 until I'm forced to upgrade by the industry. :borg:

lotus2035 wrote: Microsoft seems to forget that Windows is a means to an end not the end itself. But no doubt they will keep pumping out new versions because folks gotta get paid. That's capitalism for ya.
Ok, this is the internet and I shouldn't bite ... BUT :)

How is that different than OSX,Linux, Android or any other company driven by technology. Are they supposed to just pretend that newer/faster/better parts aren't available? That storage is now so cheap that companies can give millions of people gigabytes for free? That bandwidth is now cheap enough that HQ video is viable?

The idea that we should just stagnate to avoid change is not my idea of a good time.

SJ_Digriz wrote:
Improv wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:

says the person who heard from someone that there might be something that could possibly support the opinion that the internet fed into his head.
Welcome to my Ignore list, resident of PRATT ville. (And in Alabama too, imagine that!) :roll:

Improv wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:
Improv wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:

Welcome to my Ignore list, resident of PRATT ville. (And in Alabama too, imagine that!) :roll:
Imagine the same someone using a prejudicial stereotypical cliche as a core for an argument when they realize they have nothing to add. Be blissful in your ignorance.

i have XP SP2 on my windows machine. it's not hooked to the internet and i don't think i could upgrade to win7/8 if i wanted to. it's an older laptop machine w/an AMD chip in it. i only use it for FX anyways. it doesn't need to do much other than real time processing of hardware. it does that really well.

SJ_Digriz wrote:The idea that we should just stagnate to avoid change is not my idea of a good time.
Who said that? I certainly didn't.

The upgrade from Windows 7 was very easy... All applications are still there, not needs to install all again. All plug-ins, Cubase...
I had only a error with the elicenser because not proper permissions, so I installed the newest version and this solves this problem.
I installed only a newer Chrome browser to see how this Metro stuff works with Chrome. There is also a Firefox version but still in a early development.

I used the upgrade directly from a running Windows 7. With my SSD.. hmm.. 20min or so? Some reboots and the good thing, the upgrade will not touch the MBR, so bootloaders like Grub (for Linux) will still work.

Performance is excellent and the handling with Metro/Desktop/Application is easy with the keyboard shortcuts.
Metro apps are great, some very good weather apps and stuff (most is free, some commercial but not expensive)...
I installed Microsoft "One Note" Metro App, it's free! Very nice and I like it more than Evernote.

Re-running the update wizard from a installed Windows 8, asks for the key and later there is the option again to make a ISO/USB stick. So if people used the easy way from a running Windows 7 to upgrade, it's no problem to get later the ISO of Windows 8! Because Windows 8 has a own refresh/reinstall mode, this ISO is IMO more for emergency stuff (rewriting MBR/Bootloader if something is going wrong with the drive).
It's always not very clear how a clean-install works. Some guys saying the update key would not be valid to activate Windows 8 if installed from the ISO. There is a trick to run the Windows update from this installation (but I cannot confirm this, because I have not installed it on a empty partition without a previous installed Win7)

Media Center Pack with codecs and DVD support is free for some time, it needs a registration with a e-mail and they mail a key to update the Media Center. Unfortunately I have not received such a key yet... maybe it needs some time.

lotus2035 wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:The idea that we should just stagnate to avoid change is not my idea of a good time.
lotus2035 wrote:I would have settled for a stable Windows 2000. :hihi:

You bring something to the point where it works just fine, after that you're changing it just to keep it fresh and to keep the money rolling in. I'll stick with Windows 7 until I'm forced to upgrade by the industry. :borg:
If that isn't what you are saying then I certainly don't know what you are saying...

4damind wrote: I installed Microsoft "One Note" Metro App, it's free! Very nice and I like it more than Evernote.
One Note has been one of the best Microsoft apps for ages, and it is the best note taking app ... few seem to know about it because they are too busy being cool making fun of M$ without putting in any actual effort to figure out what they are criticizing.

SJ_Digriz wrote:
lotus2035 wrote:
lotus2035 wrote:I would have settled for a stable Windows 2000. :hihi:

You bring something to the point where it works just fine, after that you're changing it just to keep it fresh and to keep the money rolling in. I'll stick with Windows 7 until I'm forced to upgrade by the industry. :borg:
If that isn't what you are saying then I certainly don't know what you are saying...
Ok then.

My (Windows 7) PC Up-Time: 80:01:37:29 (80 days, 1 hour, 37 minutes, 29 seconds) and counting.. It is pretty stable.

The only thing that would entice me to move to Win8 would be if driver support for Win7 disappears (unlikely for a long, long, long time) or if there were some sort of security flaws that Microsoft could not (read: purposely refused) to patch.

Beyond that.. this one is nice. It might not have the fancy tile stuff or the metro apps.. but I don't need those.

That 40 bucks for the upgrade fee can go to something else I'd rather want... or just sit in the bank.

I'm hoping something useful will come with Windows 9 though. If they retired the Registry for per directory XML files, that would be something. :love: Would mean all installs could become a portable install and thus backups would be a lot easier (drag and drop).

VitaminD wrote:Beyond that.. this one is nice. It might not have the fancy tile stuff or the metro apps.. but I don't need those.
There is much more in Win 8 than stupid metro tiles and touch support.

I'm not a fan of the metro interface but I have to say the other technologies they've added/refined are quite good. I've been using the release preview on a laptop now for about a month and it's grown on me. It feels very responsive and fast, even on a my 5 year old core2duo Dell.

I'll wait to see support statements from all the vendors/products I use today and plan on switching once the early-adopter kinks get worked out. I purchased the download $39 version today because I know I'll eventually switch. $39 is pretty darn cheap for a latest OS release.

There weren't enough choices in the poll...I plan to install the upgrade 64-bit Pro version as a third boot choice along with my existing 64-bit Win7 Pro and 32-bit WinXP Pro. I'll install it there and begin messing around with it. I won't be switching to it real soon because I think it will interfere with my productivity at least until I can get a good quality 5-point multi-touch monitor for pretty cheap.

Microsoft as hardware vendor is the start of a new trend away from custom PCs. It will become more expensive to build a custom rig once MS puts its current hardware OEMs out of business. And I think Win8 will be rejected by a lot of pros and techies who will hope Win9 adds more productive GUI options.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”