AMD's a-comin!!!... and Intel's been a-dunnin!!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'll probably get a new rig next year. If Zen will be comparable to Intel top CPU, I will take it. If not, I'll look for some second-hand Xeon. You can get them for 10% of original price.
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

New socket, new boards. Intresting

AMD said they don't want to be considered the cheaper option anymore, so they intend to compete on high end market.

Interesting, seems like they are gunning for performance possibly at the expense of cost.
Any time I ever chose AMD it was due to cost VS performance. Without a significant cost
advantage it would take allot of performance for me to go with AMD over Intel again.

What they really need to do is to get rid of the CPU entirely and concentrate on the GPU.
The CPU can only become more and more of a bottle neck, and these two companies
will fight tooth and nail to hold technology back and keep themselves in business. :borg:

-Cheers

By contrary, if AMD goes for performance it will be a true competitor for Intel. Intel will have to come with something better and so on. This can only lead to better performance for the end user at a lower cost. Competition is everything. Tell me when was the last time when intel came with something big, a huge performance improvement, a huge step from previous generation? If AMD will leave processor market we are doomed. Prices will go up cause there is no competition. Anyway Intel said they are not concentrating on the PC market anymore http://www.chinatopix.com/articles/8481 ... market.htm.

Our last chance for a PC reviving is Zen. If AMD doesn't land right with this CPU they most likely go bankrupt. We all can see that CPU prices for PC are quite high comparing it with what was like 10 years ago. You could've got a top intel cpu (not extreme edition) with like ~$200, right now we are talking about double the price.

I suppose they have a lot of money for r&d as well, they earn a lot from all the gaming consoles, which run on AMD processors.

I assume one reason they decided to get back into the CPU war is the lucrative server market, whose processors use very similar technology. They are already working on a 32-core server monster CPU.

Not sure about the price. I will opt for AMD anyway, even if they were more expensive than Intel now. After all, I buy a CPU for like 6 to 8 years into the future, so who cares about an additional 100 or 200 dollars spread over that time.

I guess anything can be beat, but what price does it come at?

AMD will always have the 2nd place and thats what they deserve. Okay, that's the status today.

Anyway, it's beyond me why people still believe that bs? I mean sorry??? If that would be true that would change the world. I'm not an Intel fanboy but we can really talk when it's available and confirmed not because of some marketing bs before any release.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:Anyway, it's beyond me why people still believe that bs? I mean sorry??? If that would be true that would change the world. I'm not an Intel fanboy but we can really talk when it's available and confirmed not because of some marketing bs before any release.
:roll:

Numanoid wrote:
murnau wrote:Anyway, it's beyond me why people still believe that bs? I mean sorry??? If that would be true that would change the world. I'm not an Intel fanboy but we can really talk when it's available and confirmed not because of some marketing bs before any release.
:roll:
A very substantial reply.. ..as usual. Keep them coming: 20.000 posts are in sight. :lol:

If you actually work with a DAW you know the benefits of Intel. :hihi:
Last edited by murnau on Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

It will happen, for the Zen project they hired the same chip freak that already helped AMD beat Intel many years ago.

There is also some odd ideas that AMD was incapable of doing better. They made a few unfortunate decisions, yes, but they were not sleeping. They know the world of processors as well as Intel. It was just a matter of putting it all together the right way again. Everyone knew what was wrong with their more recent products. All they needed to do was to fix it. Also, they use the latest foundry processes now, in some partnership with Samsung.

chip freak? Jesus.. You even don't know that ZEN is an architecture, not a CPU.

Huh? His name is Jim Keller and he is a microchip engineer:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Keller_(engineer)

And?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”