That's really too much now

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Legally they have to continue support up until the allotted eol. They can get away with it with the new chips because they aren't officially supported for those operating systems. Even MS is bound by the law to some degree at least.

Just sayin.

Astralv wrote:How do you know this is 'it"?
It's quoted online. For example here: http://www.windows10update.com/2017/03/ ... iso-files/

RTM means "Released to Manufacturers". Of course, since the Windows 10 I have installed is an Insider Preview I got this directly from the Windows Update already.
Fernando (FMR)

Another facepalm for Microsoft :dog:

I have turned off Internet Explorer in Windows 7 a long time ago, because I don't use it.

Trying to install skype today, I get an error that it can't be installed, that I must do the following:

Internet Explorer -> Alternatives for Internet -> Turn on TLS

Had I been stupid I had reenabled Internet Explorer. I don't need that to be able to access Alternatives for Internet and get to turn on TLS.

This is breach of antitrust judgement, stating that Internet Explorer is needed to run another programme :x

You're reading too much into it. That's the most common fix for N00bs who don't know better to see TLS is what's needed and it can be enabled in any browser. A quick Google is all it takes to find instructions for the more savy.

bustedfist wrote:You're reading too much into it. That's the most common fix for N00bs who don't know better to see TLS is what's needed and it can be enabled in any browser. A quick Google is all it takes to find instructions for the more savy.
In the error message in skype it is stated that a user should go via Internet explorer, not via "any browser"

They are not allowed to push their own bundled software in this manner.

I have set Firefox as my default browser a long time ago.

Had I been an ambulance chasing lawyer, I would have sued, this is a clear breach of antitrust judgement. They are to unbundle Internet Explorer from Windows. So to indicate that I need Internet Explorer to install a programme, when I have set another browser as my default browser is a crime.

I am not a new user, I installed Windows 7 on that computer in 2012, and set the default browser then as Firefox, that is before 2014 and the changes then.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ram?sd=rss

I don't get the bundled thing.

Would you be ok with them using a link to a full instruction page for every browser in every language, or are you holding out for all of it being added to the error window?

My point was it's basic instructions covering the largest user group who the only time have encountered a different browser was by accident when they failed to un-check the add-on box of another totally separate game installer or the like. Anyone else probably knows better.

Skype is owned by Microsoft. If they wanted to, they could make it an IE plugin.
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

Numanoid wrote:Another facepalm for Microsoft :dog:

I have turned off Internet Explorer in Windows 7 a long time ago, because I don't use it.

Trying to install skype today, I get an error that it can't be installed, that I must do the following:

Internet Explorer -> Alternatives for Internet -> Turn on TLS

Had I been stupid I had reenabled Internet Explorer. I don't need that to be able to access Alternatives for Internet and get to turn on TLS.

This is breach of antitrust judgement, stating that Internet Explorer is needed to run another programme :x
Unfortunately Skype for Windows has used IE as it's display back-end since time immemorial. I've had to install later versions of IE on old XP machines to get it to work in the past.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”