M-Audio products on Windows 10, Fast Track Ultra

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I had it installed on Win 10 likely 0415 update (one before Anniversary and before drivers signing). And I just installed it on Kaby Lake with 0716 Anniversary update. My motherboard is set to not use Secure Boot, so it does not enforce driver signing. If OP has custom built system, he can disable secure boot. If it is OEM system, he may have difficulties disabling it. But again- if it is driver signing issue, it will state so. When my secure boot enabled, it actually will say, "Windows blocked driver installation because the driver is not signed". If it does not say it, then it is not an issue. Also yes, try to restart with driver signature check disabled.

Never heard of Fast Track Ultra. It is 8R. Meaning 8 preamps. Are you connecting it to USB 2? Make sure you always turn it on first.

The Fast Track Ultra is not the 8R, it's a little brother of that one. It's a different thing.
http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/m-a ... rack-ultra
I never got any message telling me the driver was not signed. So I am a little confused by what you say here, because if I didn't get that message then why try rebooting with signing disabled?
Thanks for your help here. My computer tech guy is telling me that all windows 7-8 drivers are the same and will work in windows 10, but that is not what I read here or elsewhere, and my experience says so too.
Mark Swanson, guitarist and luthier
Click to visit Swanson Guitars
http://www.MarkSwansonMusic.com

What is your computer configuration? Is it custom built or factory like Dell, HP, Asus?

Can you go to BIOS and check if there is Secure Boot settings available?

Are you turning your USB interface first then powering on computer? What happens in your DAW? The Inputs/Outputs not being listed? Did you set the ASIO driver in DAW? Did you check Fast Track Ultra Control panel? There are settings for Inputs and Outputs. Check that control panel.

Did it work at least one time? Did it have sound in your DAW? Does it show in Device Manager? Does it show in right lower corner when you click on little speaker icon?

Thanks for taking an interest in helping me out! Things have been running ok lately. I'll answer your questions one by one:
My computer is a custom built one. It's got an i7 and Windows 10 pro.
I should be able to check the BIOS but I haven't done that yet.
The interface draws power from the computer, and it powers up before I turn the computer on. What happens when the DAW fires up, it just shows the available inputs and outputs, the standard things on my soundcard and it does not list the fast Track as being available, nor the ASIO option. The fast Track Control panel will run, but it tells me that the interface is not connected and not streaming. So no software sees it. When this happens, I have to boot up repeatedly, or power the interface by unplugging it over and over until it finally will load up. Then things have been running fairly well.
When things are all connected, then the answer is YES to all of the questions in your last paragraph.
Before I ran the driver in compatibility mode, it would abruptly stop working, and return a blast of nasty distortion while the CPU meter would peg. I could click "reset the device" and things would be normal for a bit. Other kinds of erratic behavior would happen, too.
I am not sure what I did to make it work better but the last few times I worked with it, it was acting just fine.

Mark Swanson wrote:Thanks for taking an interest in helping me out! Things have been running ok lately. I'll answer your questions one by one:
My computer is a custom built one. It's got an i7 and Windows 10 pro.
I should be able to check the BIOS but I haven't done that yet.
The interface draws power from the computer, and it powers up before I turn the computer on. What happens when the DAW fires up, it just shows the available inputs and outputs, the standard things on my soundcard and it does not list the fast Track as being available, nor the ASIO option. The fast Track Control panel will run, but it tells me that the interface is not connected and not streaming. So no software sees it. When this happens, I have to boot up repeatedly, or power the interface by unplugging it over and over until it finally will load up. Then things have been running fairly well.
When things are all connected, then the answer is YES to all of the questions in your last paragraph.
Before I ran the driver in compatibility mode, it would abruptly stop working, and return a blast of nasty distortion while the CPU meter would peg. I could click "reset the device" and things would be normal for a bit. Other kinds of erratic behavior would happen, too.
I am not sure what I did to make it work better but the last few times I worked with it, it was acting just fine.

First, congrats on being one of the few that post direct answers to direct questions, it's a breath of fresh air. :tu:

You might want to check BIOS for a Fast Start setting. This prevents loading of certain drivers, like USB and other things until done so by the OS to speed boot time. This can cause the OS not to catch it in time, thus the associated device doesn't get loaded all of the time depending. Also, the losing connectivity thing could be down to a power saving scheme shutting things off when not used for X amount of time, again, like USB and drives, etc... Advanced Power Options or the Performance Scheme would be where to look for that issue.

I'd still research the driver signing override. The ones having no issue with the device appear to have upgraded an older OS or had driver signing disabled from the get go. I've seen no in between, anywhere.

I'm still trying to fix this boot up problem. I have been sitting here for over an hour now trying to get my computer to see this interface, this sucks. Here is a link to the current driver at the Avid website. http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_U ... ra-Drivers It clearly says that it is not qualified for Windows 10. It sure seems like that would mean more than just being "unsigned". I am going to try and install the driver now with signing disabled.
Once my computer does see it, it seems to be running ok, I had a lot of problems but compatibility mode has been letting me use it.
But this booting issue sucks!

Hey again. The driver that I use is "Install M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R 6.0.8.exe." It is listed for Win 7, but works on Win 10 for me. Sorry for saying something this trivial, but are you sure your USB port works 100% of the time? I had USB port of the computer case malfunctioning as well as port on motherboard loosing connection, as well as bad USB cable at the motherboard level. Check your USB connectors, try another port, another cable. What motherboard are you using? Disable fast Boot and Secure Boot.

I have tried other cables and other ports too. And other devies work in those same ports.
I can't use the 8R drivers for my unit, it's a different beast.
I finally got the computer and interface to talk to each other and then everything worked well. I re-installed the driver in "signing disabled" mode, no difference. I'll just have to keep looking for answers! I did disable Fast Boot in the BIOS, but I didn't see a Secure Boot...I may have missed that. Tomorrow I'll take a look.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
The last known driver for Windows (version 6.1.10 downloadable here (http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/Fast-Track-Ultra-Drivers)) does work under Windows 10, but in my case it does not show the Fast Track Ultra Control Panel anymore...
So I used the work of Mark Heath (NAudio (http://mark-dot-net.blogspot.fr/search/label/NAudio)) to make a little utility which can start the Control Panel without launching your favorite DAW each time you need it.
The source code is located on GitLab (https://gitlab.com/damien.garrido/audio/asio-control-panel).
Or you can download the binary from this link (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Nmr48Uhvyh-QdeYu3H1ZrcAiR9NDrVCd).
Hope it helps!

hi all!

i installed 6.1.12 driver on windows 10 home

well, it works, BUT not properly - there are only 2 outputs detected, 1 and 2
outputs 3-4 are not detected and not indicated by any DAW i'm using (fl studio, abletone, vegas)

is there any solution for this bug?

many thanx for ANY answer!

Has Windows configured the interface as part of the operating system resources?
If so, disassociate them as a system resource, it's a long shot.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Are you using the interface only via the USB port or are you using the power plug as well?
If you only use the USB interface then you will only have the two main outputs available.

The inputs and outputs should be enables in M-Audio control panel.

Hey I know this is an older post..... but...... in regards to to the driver installation, I ran into the same challenge and went thru hell with Microsoft... they couldn't seem to solve the problem..... Then on a separate issue, I discovered that I wasn't an admin on the computer (used to be my wife's computer)...

Once I changed myself to administrator, the install complication went away... for what it's worth :-)

About the driver problem with M-Audio interfaces, i've always had problems with the Fast Track Ultra while working it on the latest driver available (6.1.10 and 6.1.9), on both versions i was having blue screen all the time and audio was flickering. The solution to that is using the version 6.1.8. other versions even before will fail.

One thing that will happen sometimes is that the process which handles the driver interface can suddenly fail and start consuming CPU process, it happens more often than you think; You will know this is happening when your DAW or PC audio blacks out and restarting the card doesn't do anything. To solve this, you'll have to do the following steps:
  • 1) Turn off the interface
  • 2) Go to the windows process manager
  • 3) On the Background Processes section, look for the following process:
    Fast Track Ultra Audio Device Monitor (32 bit)
  • 4) check if the process is taking more then 10% of CPU (in case of failure will take normally 25% - 34% of CPU)
  • 5) if it's taking that amount of CPU, finish the process and power up the interface
NOTE: This happens more on a short list of serial numbers which were affected by a failure that made them not being recognized on power up or losing connectivity, in the case of not being recognized at power on do a fast power cycle for a few times (turning on and off very quickly 3 or 4 times) and that way will be recognized. If the 6th digit of the SN of you card is "F" you have one of the affected cards, if the 6th digit is "9" then you are free of problems.

About the problem of using, it with only the USB bus, if it's true that is designed to work that way, the drivers on windows 10 doesn't help at all with that mode, you will lose connectivity, audio will flicker and frequency rate will not be recognized properly. The best way to use it is with the 5V adapter

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”