Desktop Vs laptops for live gigging

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anybody got any experience of using a desktop in a live performance setting?

Need a new audio PC to be the backbone of my band's live show (running a DAW with 3 hours worth of multichannel loops and backing, some instruments (although nearly all instruments are on another PC), and inputting/outputting midi for various controllers) as well as light production work.

My instinct is to go with a laptop, but once I've specced up what I think is needed all dedicated "audio laptops" are well over the £2k mark. Bang-for-buck desktops appear to be much better, as well as more configurable and expandable but I'm nervous about how they'd hold up with gigging, short-medium distance travel, wear and tear, all that stuff.

I'm also a bit nervous about saving money with a desktop but then potentially spending all that saved money on stuff like flightcases, racking, furniture etc... just to make sure it doesn't fall apart on the first outing!

Any advice or thoughts?

The only advantage of lap top is that it lightweight and has attached monitor. But if you don't mind to carry desktop and monitor, it can be easily connected with HDMI or DP. The desktop can be small enough. If you have help to carry to the gig multiple MIDI controlers, you should be ok with setting up desktop every time. Also you will need small workstation for keyboard and mouse. I went with laptop and had laptop stand with mouse shelf. But here many portable folding unfolding tables you can use for desktop.

humdingergravy wrote: My instinct is to go with a laptop, but once I've specced up what I think is needed all dedicated "audio laptops" are well over the £2k mark.
It would be a good start to know WHAT you think is needed. The way i see it, there's not really much CPU or system heavy involved in what you want to do, so, i'd think a decently spec'd laptop would do already. I wouldn't go for a desktop PC for live use really. A laptop is more portable, has 2 power sources, if one may fail (unlikely), and you don't need a display, keyboard, mouse, and cables either.

And what about bringing a printer, to print boarding passes for the flight to the next gig.

I had a 17" studio/performance laptop built a couple of years ago, and yeah, £2000 is about right. I used a sampling groovebox for gigging 10 years back. Laptop is convenient and quick to set up.

Numanoid wrote:And what about bringing a printer, to print boarding passes for the flight to the next gig.
Set the ticket as your desktop wallpaper and have them scan the laptop screen. ;)

lmao. I have never seen a desktop on a gig setup. Everyone use laptops or Mac.

Numanoid wrote:And what about bringing a printer, to print boarding passes for the flight to the next gig.

This comment broke my rib! :P Haha, good one boy

Thanks for all the replies, I hadn't even considered a printer until this thread... :hihi:

Desktops at a live show aren't *that* unusual, IME, but they're normally racked up out of sight.

I still can't shake the feeling that desktops would be less hassle ultimately, but the convenience and ease of transport with a laptop is hard to ignore. Racking up a desktop would be a given and it's easy to find a suitable PC case, plus I already have a rack for the interface and other hardware at gigs though I'd probably feel safer with a heavier duty rack.

I still don't know... I'm thinking out loud here... but it's good to get opinions. Thanks again!

Hey guys so im new here.. Im a 30y drummer who is forced to switch to electronic drums. I don't want to play only via Roland sound module so im searching for a good laptop which will allow me to use VST for live drumming. Im not interested in mac because i will be also using graphic design programs to draw. Im a total noob but i heard about ASIO for all and later will probably also buy some sound card to make the latency even smaller. I cant spend much on it so i found this DELL PRECISION M7510. It has Intel Core i7-6820HQ Quad Core (8MB Cache up to: 3,60 Ghz) and 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz. Will it be enought? I can afford anything more expensive than 1250eur.. Any ideas? Ive seen some lenovo with i7 6700 but heard negative opinnions about this company and it also has a graphic card i dont really need to pay for (right?). Thx in advance and sorry for noob questions :)

humdingergravy wrote: the convenience and ease of transport with a laptop is hard to ignore.
Nobody thinks, "Hey, I like convenience and ease of transport...I think
I'll make a band, and then pack them all up,
and take them all to a bunch of dodgy venues".

(If you're not doing 'dodgy venues', you've got roadies, problem solved :wink: )

spukin wrote: Will it be enought?
Should be fine. Your screen position and viewing angle when drumming,
and the laptop display quality, will be more important, you'll want to see your gui's clearly, so make sure that your external monitor ports on the laptop,
are capable of any potential needs. And verify what screen resolution
quality is like, in resolutions other than the default, should you need something
different. Gaming websites might have useful laptop screen reviews.

Native Instruments usb audio interface gets consistant good reviews,
'Komplete Audio 6'
Cheers

A desktop will always offer more processing for less money....by a huge factor.
Not forgetting its easier to upgrade and repair.
Your laptop is technologically redundant the moment you buy it.

The only immediate benefit is transportability and environment resistance.

A 'Desktop computer' doesnt have to be a tower or box that your average n00b buys.

Bear in mind some of those above have previously openly confessed they now little about 'computer technology', hence their blinkered view and interpretation of 'desktop' vs 'laptop'.

Spend £2000 on a laptop or £500 on something that can do the same, be upgraded and future proofed
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Mini-ITX and a good processor,that's what i did.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

t3toooo wrote:Mini-ITX and a good processor,that's what i did.
:tu:
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”