Free Kaspersky Antivirus

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Still, I think the most important antivirus mechanism is the user him/herself

Clicking on a link in a dubious E-mail, not smart, not smart....

sprnva wrote:On W10 I just use the built-in Microsoft one. I got fed up with free AVs pestering me to buy the full version.

I don't know how reliable AV Comparitives is, but according to their latest monthly Real World Protection tests, MS is in 3rd place with Kaspersky in 5th. The top 4 all blocked 100% of the tests and were then sorted according to false positives, with MS having more than Symantec and Tencent.
AVC real world detection test gives a pretty good overview of respective products capabilities. And if you look at the yearly average, not only the last month, you'll see that Microsoft is not even in the top 10 while Kaspersky is 3rd.

Windows Defender was significantly improved in the last Creators Update. Before that it was absolutely useless. Kaspersky has been among the top 3 for decades.
No signature here!

I've been online since the very beginning always without AV. Thinking about it now I've been infected only once and because I was dumb enough to open one friend's file I trusted.

robotmonkey wrote:Windows Defender was significantly improved in the last Creators Update. Before that it was absolutely useless.
For me it worked well.

I just don't understand what sites or places on internet a user goes to that needs better protection ?

Kaspersky has close links with Russian intelligence agencies. I wouldn't trust their stuff no matter how free it is.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... telligence

ferranastals wrote:I've been online since the very beginning always without AV. Thinking about it now I've been infected only once and because I was dumb enough to open one friend's file I trusted.
I always thought, as Numanoid stated, that the person using the computer is the weakest link in the security chain.

Frantz wrote:Kaspersky has close links with Russian intelligence agencies. I wouldn't trust their stuff no matter how free it is.

That wouldn't keep me from using Kaspersky. MS and US AV makers also work together with secret services, they build backdoors into Windows operating systems etc.

The US' campaign against Kaspersky is just part of an economic war against Russia, China and other countries. In China they keep accusing Huawei of all sorts of things, again without any proof. The Brits have set up a dedicated department to investigate Huawei products, they have found nothing.

fluffy_little_something wrote:MS and US AV makers also work together with secret services, they build backdoors into Windows operating systems etc.
It is amazing all the things you know :o

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Frantz wrote:Kaspersky has close links with Russian intelligence agencies. I wouldn't trust their stuff no matter how free it is.

That wouldn't keep me from using Kaspersky. MS and US AV makers also work together with secret services, they build backdoors into Windows operating systems etc.

The US' campaign against Kaspersky is just part of an economic war against Russia, China and other countries. In China they keep accusing Huawei of all sorts of things, again without any proof. The Brits have set up a dedicated department to investigate Huawei products, they have found nothing.
I would choose USA before Russia any day of the week, but I hardly think that Kaspersky Lab helps the Russian government to spy on people around the world.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

You know, government institution can force internet service providers to make data accessible to track criminals, or terrorists. In the same way, it doesn't surprise me at all that a security company would work together with secret services. The question is of what relevance that is for an end user like me. I would say, not at all. If there was some secret back door, and user data of some odd kind would be transmitted, then it would be made public, especially when the company is suspected to do odd stuff. I don't see a problem with that. Apart from that, Kaspersky is well known to develop some of the best security products there are. Surely not because they spy on people.
Last edited by chk071 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starflakeprj wrote:

I would choose USA before Russia any day of the week, but I hardly think that Kaspersky Lab helps the Russian government to spy on people around the world.
Well exactly. People just love conspiracy theories these days.

chk071 wrote:Well exactly. People just love conspiracy theories these days.
+1

It is a way to make a person feel important: "somebody is out to get me" :P

starflakeprj wrote:I would choose USA before Russia any day of the week, but I hardly think that Kaspersky Lab helps the Russian government to spy on people around the world.
After Snowden I wouldn't choose the US over Russia or China anymore. All those governments are very problematic, to put it mildly. I don't trust any of them as they are basically out of control.

Kaspersky should come out with a Snowden edition, then we all would feel secure :P

starflakeprj wrote:I would choose USA before Russia any day of the week, but I hardly think that Kaspersky Lab helps the Russian government to spy on people around the world.
After Snowden I wouldn't choose the US over Russia or China anymore. All those governments are very problematic, to put it mildly. I don't trust any of them as they are basically out of control.
Well, US don't captivate dissident people.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”