Cloud storage : what do you use?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Neon Breath
KVRAF
3098 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Post Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:52 am

Hello folks!

(Hopefully I posted in the right section)

Wondering, what cloud storage service do you guys use to save and backup all your tracks, samples, sounds, music sessions, etc?

Mega? Dropbox? Any other suggestions?

robotmonkey
KVRAF
2113 posts since 20 Jun, 2012

Re: Cloud storage : what do you use?

Post Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:52 pm

I don't trust any cloud service for backups and neither should anyone else. Too many cases of services closing out of the blue or randomly changing terms of service.

I back everything up to external hdd-s. It's also cheaper this way.

For file transfer I use Microsoft OneDrive mostly.
No signature here!

starflakeprj
KVRian
876 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Post Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:18 pm

I use both a local backup (NAS) and CrashPlan Pro from Code42, and I'm satisfied with this solution.

I Would never use any of the usual cloud storage services as Dropbox, OneDrive or Google Drive, and especially not Mega due to the owner's history. They are not encrypted either, so you will have to encrypt your files on the client side before backing up.
Intel Core i7-4930K @ 4.1GHz | 64GB DDR3 | 3 x Nvidia GTX 780 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Arturia AudioFuse | M-Audio Code61
Studio One 4.1 | Reason 10.2 | Bitwig Studio 2.4 | Reaper 5.95 | Renoise 3.1 | FL Studio 20 | 460+ VSTs | 170+ Rack Extensions

lfm
KVRAF
4866 posts since 22 Jan, 2005 from Sweden

Post Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:27 am

robotmonkey wrote:I don't trust any cloud service for backups and neither should anyone else. Too many cases of services closing out of the blue or randomly changing terms of service.

+1

I don't get total lack of privacy that people are into.
My backup software expanded a lot on to backup things to their cloud service - who is trusting and using these services to backup a computer.

Two levels of safety is enough:
a) mirror on internal hdd - not shutting down computer unless this is done.
Will at least be ok unless power supply break in uncontrolled manner. Or thunder and lightning strike is also a risk that might break all electronics inside.
b) external hdd with two images history of everything at least.

If this fails - I was probably hit by lightning as well - and it does not matter anymore. :wink:

Armadillo
KVRAF
2029 posts since 31 Dec, 2002 from London, UK

Post Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:58 am

Backblaze - $5 a month. It uploads everything on your computer to the cloud and as soon as you create new files they are uploaded as well. Highly recommended.

Neon Breath
KVRAF
3098 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Post Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:26 am

Thanks all! Very interesting info.

I like the idea of an external hdd, easy, fast and offline but like every other material thing, they can fail and crash too. That's why I'm looking and exploring the cloud options, combined with physical backup.

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
23517 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:55 am

I use an external drive for backups, as well as burning a BluRay or DVD ... for transferring files it's Dropbox or Box

chk071
KVRAF
18579 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:59 am

2 external hard drives. One backup, and one backup of the backup. If one fails (which has already happened to me... file system corrupted), i have the other one at least.

That said, i wouldn't worry using OneDrive, or Google Drive. Both companies are very unlikely to get out of business, and, apart from that, you'd get warned to backup your files, if they do so, anyway. I rather use hard drives anyway, as i need more space than the free offerings, don't want to pay for more space, and i have too slow upload anyway to back up into the cloud anyway (which fortunately will change in about a week :D).

rod_zero
KVRAF
2983 posts since 28 Jan, 2011 from MEXICO

Post Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:20 pm

I would recommend going with one of the companies that actually own the servers, many companies rent from Amazon, Google, Microsoft, etc.

Recently gobler, the company providing some other developers the front end for their subscription service ,was also providing free cloud storage. One day all data was deleted from their cloud, they didn't pay their bills to amazon because the bill was way higher than usual.

This could happen to any small company that relies on some of the big ones servers, so I wouldn't trust their service.

I currently use Onedrive, mainly because it is included with my Office subscription (you get 1 TB per account, you can have 5 accounts). To me it is very cost effective because I get the software and cloud service for a good price.
dedication to flying

Mystic
KVRist
293 posts since 24 Sep, 2012

Post Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:19 pm

I use OneDrive as well as multiple local storage backups. It's worked really well for me over the past few years.

mgw38
KVRian
1259 posts since 26 Jul, 2015 from Philadelphia

Post Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:51 pm

The key to optimal protection from data loss is backup diversification. Use multiple solutions based on different technologies simultaneously. I use Splice for "real time" online backup during production with additional traditional backups onto two external HDs (one using Time Machine the other one using Acronis True Image). And once a track has been completed it is archived on an NAS and on Dropbox.

I have not yet used OneDrive even though it comes with the Office Subscription since it has (or at least used to have) a couple of very unfortunate restrictions in terms of file size and number of files it can sync.

I have also been considering Amazon Glacier for long term storage but have not yet found the time to test it.

topaz
KVRAF
4299 posts since 15 Jul, 2001 from Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, U.K

Post Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:36 am

What happens if you ever got burgled ? Or worse ?
robotmonkey wrote:I don't trust any cloud service for backups and neither should anyone else. Too many cases of services closing out of the blue or randomly changing terms of service.

topaz
KVRAF
4299 posts since 15 Jul, 2001 from Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, U.K

Post Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:38 am

Did you ever have a drive go down and had to redownload ?

Bit concerned how long it would take to upload/download 2tb at a time.

I only get around 25mb dl at my studio.
Armadillo wrote:Backblaze - $5 a month. It uploads everything on your computer to the cloud and as soon as you create new files they are uploaded as well. Highly recommended.

melomood
KVRist
326 posts since 15 Oct, 2017 from U.S.

Post Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:02 pm

A Lindt Holiday truffles box loaded with usb flash drives & SD cards,some external hard drives filled with dupes + dvd-r's

tylercassidy
KVRer
10 posts since 3 Jan, 2017 from Canada

Post Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:28 am

I use SpiderOak One since everything is encrypted before it leaves your computer. You can also setup syncs between computers kind of like Dropbox. Just don’t forget your password :D

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”