Cloud storage : what do you use?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Rockatansky
KVRist
274 posts since 3 Jun, 2017

Post Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:14 am

I doubt that Dropbox are going anywhere anytime soon, and AFAIK they have data centers all over the world. (Aren't they even with Akamai like just about everyone else?) So if three of their data centers get struck by lightning, flooded by tsunamis and crushed by earth quakes at the same time, they'll still be able to restore your data.

Personally, I've been happy with Dropbox for a while. Fast, easy to handle, good and stable client software. But I'm slowly reaching the 1TB limit of my personal account, the next step is a 5TB account with 5 users, that means there'll be a jump from 9.99€/month to 60€/month, and I sure as f*ck won't pay that. Except juggling multiple personal accounts, which means a lot of bandwidth-intensive juggling with the client software that can only handle one login, there's no way of incrementing space in smaller steps. And I don't have the patience for that.

So I'm probably moving all my stuff into iCloud, where I can have 2TB for the same price as 1TB at Dropbox. Plus it's built into all my devices, meaning I don't need any extra software. Apple also have data centers all over the planet, so if anything ever happens to a few of their hard drives, who cares.

My carelessness continues, in that I honestly couldn't give a scuttering sod about who looks into my files. Go ahead, download my backups, see if you can re-register my Windows serial numbers or if you can change the user name of my ToneBoosters license files. Unzip the Gigabytes of boring holiday photos from 2008 or when I last went on a vacation and have a blast. Try to mix the shitty music I made, I'd even pay someone for that. :D

So yeah... as far as that goes, doesn't bother me.

To be even more safe and to not have to rely on an Internet connection, there's always the possibility of a DIY NAS. You can purchase small NAS enclosures in various shapes and sizes (AsusTor, Synology, etc.) without hard drives for not too much money, then stick a bunch of WD REDs into them. This gives you RAID (=data redundancy and fast access speeds), plus you don't have to worry about your data if your computer's CPU ever kicks the bucket.

If you're really paranoid and you have the funds to spare, basically what's called a "prepper", then you could put a regular WD RED into your computer and use a sync software to mirror your internal RED to several identical external NAS-es at different locations (kitchen, attic, closet, etc). Gives you fastest possible read/write speeds (since the main drive you use is internal) and several shots at your data surviving if anything should happen.

Or you could just use the more reliable services of companies who already do that.
Confucamus.

topaz
KVRAF
4330 posts since 15 Jul, 2001 from Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, U.K

Re: Cloud storage : what do you use?

Post Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:53 am

15 day trial Backblaze is doing my nut in, no matter how many times I remove exclusions etc it still is only backing up a small amount of files.

Seriously considering just getting a 4 or 6 tb drive and replacing every few years. And possibly keeping new songs on google drive or iCloud.

aMUSEd
KVRAF
30635 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:55 am

Rockatansky wrote: So I'm probably moving all my stuff into iCloud, where I can have 2TB for the same price as 1TB at Dropbox. Plus it's built into all my devices, meaning I don't need any extra software. Apple also have data centers all over the planet, so if anything ever happens to a few of their hard drives, who cares.
This is true but I like the convenience of Dropbox where you can just upload a file, right click and copy a shareable link anyone can access (including non Dropbox users) - can't seem to do that with iCloud (or can you now?)

Jace-BeOS
KVRAF
4936 posts since 7 Jan, 2005 from Corporate States of America

Post Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:47 am

I don't use third-party services to back up my data. I don't trust their continued existence, I don't want to pay them, and their terms of service are unacceptable (like most computer industry crap, no warranty, therefore no accountability). Then there's the potential for loss of data, service outages, and data mining, (depending on the business, but who can be sure these days?). If I'm going to lose data, it should be my fault and not a situation where I've become victim to the computer industry's total lack of accountability.

I do use Apple's iCloud for certain types of content between my Apple devices, but I regularly back them up to local storage (manual file copying and iTunes). I don't trust them much more than I trust anyone else, but at least their entire business model isn't about making me their product. Plus, like I said, I make local backups.

I used to make double DVDs as backups but the data grew too large. Now I use hard drives.

I'm not fond of hard drives either, because they can fail spectacularly without warning, especially if you let them sit unused for a long time, so I keep multiple duplicates and try to keep them in circulation (use).

Hard drives are costly for me (I'm poor). Sadly, optical drives are growing less plentiful and are cheaply built today (my two Plextor drives are from the good era, but they won't last forever). The built-in Apple optical drives fail over time and are non-existent in new machines, plus, optical drives tend to sometimes make discs that don't read well in other drives.

I wanted to move to blu-ray years ago, but the costs and the lack of official Apple support kept me away. The costs might be better today, but I'm not sure what drives to buy, if anyone makes solid ones. I don't own a digital TV either, so any investment in Blu-Ray seems weird without the ability to play Blu-Ray discs for entertainment.

I've never liked tape backup. I know it was an industry standby but I never liked them. Too slow. Sequential.

I use DropBox, on occasion, to transfer things between people or machines, but very rarely.

If my house burned down, I'd be f**ked. I've no off-site storage. I could hypothetically drop a pair of hard drives at my parents' place; in a fire safe, even. I could hypothetically buy myself a fire safe. But that's money I don't have.

Still... If I lost all my stuff, I'd have nothing to use my data on anyway. I'd probably kill myself if my house burned down. Insurance wouldn't resurrect my cats or replace all my stuff (everything I have is considered obsolete). It wouldn't get me a new house. All the worse that I live in a row house. One of my neighbors could burn me down and it wouldn't even be my fault. My one neighbor has already had a kitchen fire. I see burned-out row houses in the city often. It's depressing. Savage.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

chk071
KVRAF
18861 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:59 am

Jace-BeOS wrote:I don't trust their continued existence
I don't think that's an issue at all. The one time one of my cloud providers went out of his business (Ubuntu One), they warned half a year in advance, so, should be no issue to back up your files, if your provider goes bust.

As mentioned earlier, i use Google Drive mostly, and sometimes Microsoft OneDrive to back up some smaller files, and transfer files from one computer to another, or to or from my smartphone. For anything else (the big stuff), i use external hard drives. I could back up a lot of stuff to OneDrive though, as i have 1 TB cloud space there, from my Office 356 subscription.

Jace-BeOS
KVRAF
4936 posts since 7 Jan, 2005 from Corporate States of America

Post Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:12 am

chk071 wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:I don't trust their continued existence
I don't think that's an issue at all. The one time one of my cloud providers went out of his business (Ubuntu One), they warned half a year in advance, so, should be no issue to back up your files, if your provider goes bust.

As mentioned earlier, i use Google Drive mostly, and sometimes Microsoft OneDrive to back up some smaller files, and transfer files from one computer to another, or to or from my smartphone. For anything else (the big stuff), i use external hard drives. I could back up a lot of stuff to OneDrive though, as i have 1 TB cloud space there, from my Office 356 subscription.
I'm glad you're having a positive experience. :-) It doesn't change my unwillingness to trust computer industry companies, though ;-) I've watched so many companies fail, almost overnight...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12922 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Post Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:39 am

Armadillo wrote:Backblaze - $5 a month. It uploads everything on your computer to the cloud and as soon as you create new files they are uploaded as well. Highly recommended.
That sounds horrible to me. You might as well give them full remote access :hihi:

Aren't we talking about good old file sharing? Hasn't that always been on the cloud even before we called it cloud?

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Post Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:47 am

Jace-BeOS wrote:I don't use third-party services to back up my data. I don't trust their continued existence, I don't want to pay them, and their terms of service are unacceptable (like most computer industry crap, no warranty, therefore no accountability). Then there's the potential for loss of data, service outages, and data mining, (depending on the business, but who can be sure these days?). If I'm going to lose data, it should be my fault and not a situation where I've become victim to the computer industry's total lack of accountability.

I do use Apple's iCloud for certain types of content between my Apple devices, but I regularly back them up to local storage (manual file copying and iTunes). I don't trust them much more than I trust anyone else, but at least their entire business model isn't about making me their product. Plus, like I said, I make local backups.

I used to make double DVDs as backups but the data grew too large. Now I use hard drives.

I'm not fond of hard drives either, because they can fail spectacularly without warning, especially if you let them sit unused for a long time, so I keep multiple duplicates and try to keep them in circulation (use).

Hard drives are costly for me (I'm poor). Sadly, optical drives are growing less plentiful and are cheaply built today (my two Plextor drives are from the good era, but they won't last forever). The built-in Apple optical drives fail over time and are non-existent in new machines, plus, optical drives tend to sometimes make discs that don't read well in other drives.

I wanted to move to blu-ray years ago, but the costs and the lack of official Apple support kept me away. The costs might be better today, but I'm not sure what drives to buy, if anyone makes solid ones. I don't own a digital TV either, so any investment in Blu-Ray seems weird without the ability to play Blu-Ray discs for entertainment.

I've never liked tape backup. I know it was an industry standby but I never liked them. Too slow. Sequential.

I use DropBox, on occasion, to transfer things between people or machines, but very rarely.

If my house burned down, I'd be f**ked. I've no off-site storage. I could hypothetically drop a pair of hard drives at my parents' place; in a fire safe, even. I could hypothetically buy myself a fire safe. But that's money I don't have.

Still... If I lost all my stuff, I'd have nothing to use my data on anyway. I'd probably kill myself if my house burned down. Insurance wouldn't resurrect my cats or replace all my stuff (everything I have is considered obsolete). It wouldn't get me a new house. All the worse that I live in a row house. One of my neighbors could burn me down and it wouldn't even be my fault. My one neighbor has already had a kitchen fire. I see burned-out row houses in the city often. It's depressing. Savage.
I am similar in that respect. I only upload music files to box.com because they are completely worthless and uninteresting to anyone.
But important stuff I only back up on my three USB pen drives in parallel, i.e. redundantly. They are right next to my folder with important paper documents. So if there's a fire, I just stuff the USB pen drives into my pockets and grab my folder. Everything else is just replaceable material stuff.

Burillo
KVRAF
3222 posts since 15 Nov, 2006 from Hell

Post Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:05 am

i'm surprised no one is using Amazon Glacier for backup purposes. granted, it's really hard to set up for an average user, but it's dirt cheap when all you use it for is backup (i.e. they charge you on download, but if you don't download, you just pay for storage, which is peanuts).
From Russia with love

arkmabat
KVRAF
3603 posts since 6 Nov, 2009

Post Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:10 am

Whoa... Is it true a hard drive is more likely to fail if it sits for too long, unused? I might start plugging them in once in a while just to keep them fresh if so.

chk071
KVRAF

Post Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:32 am

arkmabat wrote:Whoa... Is it true a hard drive is more likely to fail if it sits for too long, unused?
No. Why would they? Hard drive failure is normally related to the mechanical components overheating. Or too many write operations, when it comes to SSD's. I can't see how sitting too long would affect them at all.

nirm123
KVRer
22 posts since 7 Sep, 2012

Post Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:35 am

I use cloud services.

I found the following claims brought in this thread against using cloud services absurd:

1) Lack of privacy - so it's ok to store all of your e-mails in google (as most of us do) but not your "private" stuff ? at least for me there is no difference between my "e-mail" private stuff and the "storage" private stuff.

2) Data resiliency of leading cloud services (i.e - google, microsoft and so on) will be MUCH better than someone locally saves data to hard-drive (even 3 disks using raid configuration) - this won't protect you from stealing and many other things that can happen to it (disks breaking up). you'd also have to migrate your stuff to a new hw every couple of years (hard-drives usually last for 3 to 5 years).

3) Yes, google and/or Microsoft can do down (anything can happen) but if this happen soon I think we'll have much worst things to worry about and it won't happen all the sudden, one can easily download 200GB and transfer it to another provider (or keep it locally for a few days/weeks).

Also the ability to easily share some of the data with other people is very helpful, doing it using one local hard-drivers will be possible but much more trickier and then the security holes will beprofound (having to expose the LAN to the outside world).

Also, as internet connections become so fast I believe that we won't use hard-drives much soon, it would be so fast to consume data out of clouds that even our PCs would be able to store "local" data on cloud services, so this method is becoming obsolete very fast.

I can understand that you don't trust provider with your private data but this train had already left a long time ago, google has an access to so much of your private data, microsoft provides the OS for most of our computers, storing your data locally would only mean that data loss is much more likely to happen and I believe also to a worst privacy (unless one encrypts his/hers hard-drivers for an example, I believe that most ppl don't do it and anyone who steals this data can easily read it).
Last edited by nirm123 on Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Post Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:36 am

chk071 wrote:
arkmabat wrote:Whoa... Is it true a hard drive is more likely to fail if it sits for too long, unused?
No. Why would they? Hard drive failure is normally related to the mechanical components overheating. Or too many write operations, when it comes to SSD's. I can't see how sitting too long would affect them at all.

I think there is even a command for securing a hard drive when not in use, for instance during transport. Like with washing machines, basically, just not with bolts :hihi:

mgw38
KVRian
1283 posts since 26 Jul, 2015 from Philadelphia

Post Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:40 am

Burillo wrote:i'm surprised no one is using Amazon Glacier for backup purposes. granted, it's really hard to set up for an average user, but it's dirt cheap when all you use it for is backup (i.e. they charge you on download, but if you don't download, you just pay for storage, which is peanuts).
Most people probably don't even know that it exists. If I would start fresh, I would use it for backing up old stuff that I very rarely ever need to access. At the moment I am already settled with other solutions though.

chk071
KVRAF

Post Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:43 am

nirm123 wrote: 3) Yes, google and/or Microsoft can do down (anything can happen) but if this happen soon I think we'll have much worst things to worry about and it won't happen all the sudden, one can easily download 200GB and transfer it to another provider (or keep it locally for a few days/weeks).
Thinking about it, i even have 2 examples of providers giving out warnings months before their service is going down. The mentioned Ubuntu One, and Yahoo Geocities, which also warned half a year before the stuff on my web space was removed. I really think it's a no deal, and people see a risk where there isn't any.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”