anyone here use multiple computers?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

especially for running vsts with oversampling and processing, heavy fft stuff, like as a live fx box, that kind of thing

You mean, to run the plugins on different computers? How do you connect the DAW? And what about the latency introduced by networking? I don't think that's a very good, and practical idea...

Just get the most powerful processor of the latest generation, it should be powerful enough for all your needs.

I get the feeling this idea stems from being the digital equivalent of using external analogue effects for processing. You could argue that transforming from digital to audio, sending to the analogue hardware, receiving from the analogue hardware and transforming from audio to digital introduces latency and makes processing in the DAW harder. I'd agree. Many would say "Ah, but you can't beat analogue, can you?"

If you replace the analogue hardware with dedicated digital effects processors and replace to DAC/ADC loop with straight digital cabling, your DAW will then just see audio sends and receives, as with the equivalent analogue processing.

If you want to replace the digital processors with standard PCs, then you really want to make life as simple as possible and put a dedicated interface in -- didn't someone like FXPansion have this? Effectively looked like an VST effect and did the network send/receive, blocking processing of the buffer and hence introducing no latency. If you're lucky with your local network, that's actually not an unreasonable expectation. As with many "normal" VST effects, there you could use PDC to cover for any measurable latency.

In my memory, there have been at least three attempts at doing this seamlessly from DAW to DAW but I cannot remember the details. (I'd guess it can't have been that successful or useful.)

Yeah I mean run plugins on different computers, I thought Ableton Link was moving things in this general direction?

@fluffly_little_something - I wish I could afford it at the moment. I am running an old xeon x5687 lifted from a server on eBay.

And my needs are using a tonne of high-cpu plugins like Reaktor x 5, then Melda MXXX & Zynaptiq in a giant processing chain(s) so its a bit hairy if you can imagine

https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Vienna_Softwar ... semble_PRO

Never used it and no idea about latency.

Logic used to have Node which allowed you to farm stuff out but it was 32 bit only and doesn't look like being replaced.

I did this years and years ago, and tbh, it was more of a POC than anything else. But it did work.

Essentially, all I did was sync up 2 DAWS on 2 separate PCs using MIDI clock sent over the network. There are obviously some limitations to this approach, because you can't easily send individual audio tracks to the second PC for processing. Instead, I had separate instruments and FX set up on the second PC so it was functioning like an outboard sound module or HD recorder. I then sent the final 2-channel stereo mix from the slave PC back to the first PC via digital I/O so I could mix everything together for the final output.

I used the network to transfer files between the two PCs, which was a bit cumbersome. I also found it helpful to have a network desktop sharing app, so I could access the slave from the master PC. A bit slow, but it was halfway usable as long as there was nothing too graphically intensive going on on the slave.

I think I was also sending MIDI data from the master host to the slaves so that the MIDI parts would play, but this was ~15 years ago. At any rate, you can set up a second PC to function as a sound module relatively easy. Farming out processing to another PC on demand is a different kettle of fish.

studiowaveform wrote:Yeah I mean run plugins on different computers, I thought Ableton Link was moving things in this general direction?

@fluffly_little_something - I wish I could afford it at the moment. I am running an old xeon x5687 lifted from a server on eBay.

And my needs are using a tonne of high-cpu plugins like Reaktor x 5, then Melda MXXX & Zynaptiq in a giant processing chain(s) so its a bit hairy if you can imagine
I can send you my old Phenom 1100T processor for free, that should be enough for one more track :hihi:

Why are you using so many plugins in the first place? Sounds like overkill...

Reaper has Reamote which is pretty clever.

I don't normally use it since my workstation is beefy enough, but I tested it with a Reaper slave in Linux from a Windows Reaper master and it's amazing. Reaper does the delay compensation and it's flawless (assuming your network doesn't get saturated intermittently by other things). Is that cool or what? I mean, it's networked *and* cross-platform. If there are any old nerds around, imagine a Beowulf cluster of reverbs.

yellowmix wrote:Reaper has Reamote which is pretty clever.

I don't normally use it since my workstation is beefy enough, but I tested it with a Reaper slave in Linux from a Windows Reaper master and it's amazing. Reaper does the delay compensation and it's flawless (assuming your network doesn't get saturated intermittently by other things). Is that cool or what? I mean, it's networked *and* cross-platform. If there are any old nerds around, imagine a Beowulf cluster of reverbs.
Good stuff if you need it and might be what the OP is after?

Does the master only run on Windows or is it cross-platform?

No - not yet anyway. But Vienna ensemble pro linked to above is probably the one I would look at.

Freezing tracks and freing up resources is so good with current daws it's not really needed to run every plugin/instrument in realtime until final rendering.

Lots of composers use Vienna Ensemble as their track templates are often several hundred channels. Seems to work for them, but expect some configuration.

lnikj wrote:Does the master only run on Windows or is it cross-platform?
The master and slaves can run on any platform that Reaper runs on. This includes Windows and MacOS, and Cockos Inc. says the Windows versions runs fine on Wine (Linux).

lfm wrote:No - not yet anyway. But Vienna ensemble pro linked to above is probably the one I would look at.

Freezing tracks and freing up resources is so good with current daws it's not really needed to run every plugin/instrument in realtime until final rendering.

Yeah thats what I am doing currently, I just wondered if there are people doing it with more tweakability.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”