iLok is dead, long live iLok

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pheeleep wrote:They are adding cloud as a 3rd option. Dongle and machine based authorization will remain in place. What is the fuss about?
Just the usual much to-do about nothing!

iLok is bad mkay. :P

chk071 wrote:
Daimonicon wrote:
fese wrote:
Upon launching iLok Cloud protected software, the users will be prompted to provide their username and password. That’s it—the iLok protected software is now ready for use, without any dongles or having to use
What? I hope not every time I instantiate a new plugin! :o
Also, passwords are inherently insecure. That's just screaming for malware collecting people's accounts :) hmmm...
It will be hacked. Just a matter of time. The problem with all kinds of protection it only makes it more difficult for the legal buyer. Warez users just download and install plugins. I wish there could be a better way for the legal buyer.
Nonsense. Unless you also think leaving your car with the doors wide open is a smart thing to do, because you feel hassled by locking, or opening it every time you want to drive with it. A copy protection scheme is supposed to give SOME kind of protection, not a bullet proof protection against all kind of idiotism.
When I lived in a bad neighborhood, after a break in, cops told me to leave nothing in my car and leave it unlocked. The idea being that crackheads looking for change/stereos were going to smash your windows and/or break your door locks to get in and you could at least save your windows/doors.

I’m not sure how some developers seemingly thrive on basic password authentication, yet some seem to need something like iLok. I’ve made peace with iLok, but I still get weird errors saying that some part of it crashed. It doesn’t seem to cause any real problem, but... wtf.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

chk071 wrote:Anyway, maybe the comparison is wrong indeed. Software protections has completely other demands than protecting a car, because the possibility of a compromise is much higher, hence the protection must be much more solid.
The car analogy is ridiculous. A car key protects YOUR car from being stolen. Software protection protects THEIR software from YOU. Does anyone here have a car that can only be unlocked by the car company?
DRM is not User Rights Management (by the user).

A car is useless without fuel.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:A car is useless without fuel.
Have you tried turning your PC on... or paying the electrical bill? :hihi:

T-CM11 wrote:
chk071 wrote:Anyway, maybe the comparison is wrong indeed. Software protections has completely other demands than protecting a car, because the possibility of a compromise is much higher, hence the protection must be much more solid.
The car analogy is ridiculous. A car key protects YOUR car from being stolen. Software protection protects THEIR software from YOU. Does anyone here have a car that can only be unlocked by the car company?
Well, as a user you merely own the rights to USE the software too. :shrug: Of course a company which would lend you a car would make sure it does not get stolen too. At least you, as the one who rented it, would have to make sure that it doesn't get stolen, otherwise, you'd be in trouble.

Anyway, enough of that. As i said already, a digital product is something entirely different, so, no need to compare it with cars.

I don't think it will make the dongle obsolete. Let's say I hope so. As far as I understood it, it's just another option for the license storage. Again at least I hope so. I know if steady internet connection is mandatory, and I have pretty stable connection, the internet will definitely go down in the worst possible situation. That's the situation I expect Ilok-protected plugins to still run, minimum a couple days or weeks.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

chk071 wrote: Well, as a user you merely own the rights to USE the software too. :shrug:
Usage right and ownership are all relative and very much related. A car owner owns his car, but still doesn't have the right to do everything with it (like drive into a bunch of people).
These days people are lulled into believing that purchasing a software product is not the same as owning it for personal use. Can you imagine Ford taking back all its sold cars because the company goes bankrupt? (ok this is more "online activation" than dongle-related) Why should it be different for the customer, just because software is easily copy-able and a car is not?

Ford is dead, long live Ford
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

@T-CM11, true! Renting is for a period. When you buy is for as long as you want it to be, so when you buy software you own the license (copy). You can use that license as you wish, but if you break the law (license agreement) that license can be void. Now, not being able to use that software because developer decided to use a certain protection, that's not right. To make a car analogy, is like manufacturer of your car made a certain key for the car that sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't and when you need it most it happens you can't enter that car.

chk071 wrote:Of course it complicates geting into the car. Just opening the door, or even having no door at all, which would be the equivalent to no copy protection, is much easier, than getting the key out of your pocket, unlocking the door, and opening it. The next step on top of that would be an alarm system. The thing with software is also that the threshold of committing a criminal activity is much lower, when you sit at home in front of your PC, and don't have to fear instant prosecution, because you feel safe.

Anyway, maybe the comparison is wrong indeed. Software protections has completely other demands than protecting a car, because the possibility of a compromise is much higher, hence the protection must be much more solid.
Did you miss the part where i just press a button to unlock the door now?

Also, car alarms suck. They're utterly useless for anything but being a public nuisance. Adding car alarms to this actually brings the car analogy more in-line with copy protection schemes... ;-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Car analogies aside... does anyone know more details about the iLok cloud? How will it impact the user, if at all? Or just a new option?

stardustmedia wrote:Car analogies aside... does anyone know more details about the iLok cloud? How will it impact the user, if at all? Or just a new option?
From what I read it's just another option... you know, like on a car.

bobhva wrote:
stardustmedia wrote:Car analogies aside... does anyone know more details about the iLok cloud? How will it impact the user, if at all? Or just a new option?
From what I read it's just another option... you know, like on a car.
Thanks.

But you won't be able to drag me into the car analogy. I'm a fully loaded truck with two trailers, so dragging is impossible for your car :lol:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”