difference between Seagate , WD and Samsung ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi ,

I'm planning to buy a 1 TB internal SSD hard drive .

What's the difference between Seagate , WD and Samsung and which one is better ?

And why is there a huge rate difference between them ?

Thanks

Short answer: get a Samsung 850 EVO 1TB drive.

dark water wrote:Short answer: get a Samsung 850 EVO 1TB drive.
:tu:

In my experience:

Seagate: unreliable
WD: ok
Samsung: best SSDs

Acknowledgement wrote:In my experience:

Seagate: unreliable
WD: ok
Samsung: best SSDs
In what way it is best ?

Is there any place where there are good Thanksgiving deals ?

I upgraded from a WD Black, to a Samsung 850 Pro (500GB) a few yrs ago and couldn't be happier! Initially, I was gonna go w/the EVO but was advised to purchase the PRO instead.... I plan on building another desktop in a couple of months and I will definitely be purchasing another 850 Pro for its main (OS) drive!

thecontrolcentre wrote:

Even though i got a Samsumg 850 Pro. The Evo should already have a life span which will exceed the one of your computer though.

Took 1TB WD Blue 3D NAND over 850 EVO, about as fast but has more wear rate.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

What is the difference between Samsung 850 EVO and 850 Pro ?

Why is the Pro costlier ?

Will 850 EVO suffice ?

Different technics. The Evo has TLC flash memory, which is cheaper, and takes less write processes, and the Pro has MLC flash memory, which is more expensive, but takes more write processes. If that is relevant to you is quite questionable, because the Evo already will most likely last longer than any computer you will use. But, if you want to be totally on the safe side, i'd go with the Pro. Especially when you use it as the sole harddrive in your computer, and you go with a "large" size, like 512 GB or 1 TB.

vignesh.vijay wrote:
What is the difference between Samsung 850 EVO and 850 Pro ?

Why is the Pro costlier ?

Will 850 EVO suffice ?
See:
https://www.anandtech.com/print/8239/up ... d-die-size
https://techreport.com/review/27909/the ... e-all-dead

https://www.anandtech.com/show/9799/best-ssds

Why ask these questions- why not look at specs? If you dont want to read about the product, then why post new thread- you will still have to read the answers. Time better spent to read specifications. Sign up for NewEgg deals- they just had samsung 1TB at like $260 if I remember correct.

Having benched both the WD Black NVMe and the Samsung Evo, whilst they read the same on paper, the Samsungs bench about 30% faster for me, making them more than worth the small premium IMO.

Also, I only tend to go with SSDs that use their own IC's or have extremely close ties to the manufacturer, rather than buying them off the shelf as it cuts down issues when stuff goes wrong. Anyone who remembers the Sandforce bug early on that crippled the majority of drives out there for a number of weeks a few years back, will probably understand where I'm coming from with this.

Sure, Samsung has had some minor issues too in the past (as has everyone else I'm sure), but when they spot them, they tend to throw a fix out in a few days as they have more control over the support process. If the drive maker buys the controller solution off the shelf, then they have to wait for someone else to fix it and then they have to mod (build their official installer package for example) the driver to meet their requirements, which ends up taking a while longer still.

I have two 850 EVO 1TB and one 950 EVO M.2 1 TB. With Samsung Magic you can actually get a little boost. In all I find them to be faster than my previous WD Black NVMe. I notice in loading my orchestral template...that is where it really shines. If you are writing to the SSD a lot the WD Black NVMe gets really hot. Someone online mentioned that they had one fail as a boot drive.

I stick to mechanical drives for boot and Program files, but all of my data is on SSD.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”