PCI Riser 32bit dual slot ,.. for seccond RME card

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

On my Asus Z97A ,.. I miss one more PCI 32 bit slot to install a second RME HDSP 9652 Card

Could a riser-card with two PCI 32bit slots be a solution, and just as good as having two slots on the motherboard ?????

Thanks in advance for any help :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-Riser-32Bi ... Sw2x1XMKHi
s-l500.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HM

I would look at changing computer chassis to get slots on back for that - if so.
RME cards depend on that bit as I see it.

But if flat cable introduce more capacitance to actually cause problems, not sure.

I am looking for something similar for PCI Express x1 to be able to use another slot adjacent to graphics, now a little bit too high build to use slot. Interesting if it does exist like your solution there.

I was thinking of trying this with my old Creamware Pulsars but using a PCIE to duel PCI riser.
Theyre cheap enough to give it a go and no great loss if it doesnt work.

Though I imagine the RME might not work out well as its probably trying to use the maximum bandwidth already if youre using all available channels at high sample rates.
Might just depend on how youre using it.

I watched some video where they strung multiples of these together in series so I dont think capacitance would be an issue with just the one :)
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I have been using this expansion setup for PCI-e for two years now. $38.95 USD ($50 CND) on EBAY.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/172338971189

I host 2 UAD-2 cards (+2 on the motherboard) and a usb 3 card for external drives on this card. I had run out of PCI-e expansion in my px79 Asus hexicore i7 rig. My Two RME raydat cards are installed on the internal internal PCI-e slots.

I didn't test them on the expansion but my guess is they'd work fine. If I can run 2 UAD-2 cards and a USB 3 card on the expansion with no audio drop outs for a total of 9 PCI-e slots I think you'd be fine putting the RME card on the riser :scared: .

I am using Windows 7 64 bit. No drivers were needed.... at least I didn't have to install any, it self-configured.

I had to keep the side of my computer open and I made a little holder out of lego to hold the riser card and UAD-2 + USB cards on the table. My computer is on the other side of the wall in my studio so the additional noise of having the chassis open wasn't a problem.

The link will take you to the ebay listing and there is a photo. I can confirm that is is a good solution for PCI-e expansion.

YOu get two additional slots in total as one of the motherboard slots is used to host the daughter card.

I have had zero issues on large projects with a fully loaded UAD-2 system with cards both on the riser and on the main motherboard with active USB 3 external attached, two active RME cards and a 4 monitor workstation class video card. I hope this information is useful. - Scotty

^
FYI PCIe has much greater bandwidth than PCI which the OP refers to
Amazon: why not use an alternative

When using RME cards on a bridged pci to pcie connection you’ll be limited to 48 channels, even if the RME cards would normally allow more than that.

EDIT - misread the post - ignore.
Acid Mitch wrote:When using RME cards on a bridged pci to pcie connection you’ll be limited to 48 channels, even if the RME cards would normally allow more than that.

Understood but I thought it was related enough that someone might be interested in a low cost PCI-e to PCIe expansion solution for audio.
VariKusBrainZ wrote:^
FYI PCIe has much greater bandwidth than PCI which the OP refers to

HM - are you thinking about spliiting a pci slot in two with the riser card thingy you linked ?
I don’t think your going to get many more channels than you already have as pci bandwidth is too low.

Do you have room for this to hang your cardsImage
A minor scale is a major scale starting 3 half steps down from the major and visa versa. Any Chord has as many versions as it has notes.

Acid Mitch wrote:HM - are you thinking about spliiting a pci slot in two with the riser card thingy you linked ?
I don’t think your going to get many more channels than you already have as pci bandwidth is too low.
I don't really know what I am thinking of :-) on my MB, Z97A, there is two PCI slots, that's why I bought it, becourse I wanted to use it with my two HDSP 9652 PCI cards, (just bougt 6 x ADA8000),..

But now that I have put it all together, it appears that one of the PCI's are out of the game, becourse the cooler on my Asus GTX950 Strix is so big that the first PCI-slot is hidden behind it, totally hidden, and out of reach.

Unfortunately I can not just skip the GTX950 for something else, becourse I need DisplayPort 1.2 for full 4K in 60 hz on my new Phíllips 43" monitor ,.. ( but this is coursing my me troubles also, stucked at 30 hz)

But guess I better addres the screen-problem in another topic

So on the buttomline I am a little locked up now, I cant afford RAYDAT right now, and to make it even worse I will need two RAYDATS also, becourse 4 ADAT-ports is not enough

My latest idea is to simply relocate the GTX950 with a PCIe 16X 3.0 Ribbon-riser, then the two PCI's on the motherboard are both free again
Last edited by HM on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HM

Acid Mitch wrote:When using RME cards on a bridged pci to pcie connection you’ll be limited to 48 channels, even if the RME cards would normally allow more than that.
That will be a problem then I guess :neutral:

So what you say is that I cant use all I/O on 2 x RME HDSP 9652 installed in a Asus Z97A ????

How exactly do you count to 48 Channels ???

Is it like:

24in + 24out = 48
48out =48
48in = 48

Becourse in that case I can only use the 6 ADAT-pibes I/O "half-way"

It surprises me much, becourse I guess Matthias Carsten from RME claiming the limit to much higher

From where did you get the 48-channel info ???
HM

Maybe, I am not that far in the planning yet :-)

I have relatively small medium cases
Throbert wrote:Do you have room for this to hang your cards
HM

HM wrote:But now that I have put it all together, it appears that one of the PCI's are out of the game, becourse the cooler on my Asus GTX950 Strix is so big that the first PCI-slot is hidden behind it, totally hidden, and out of reach.

Unfortunately I can not just skip the GTX950 for something else, becourse I need DisplayPort 1.2 for full 4K in 60 hz on my new Phíllips 43" monitor ,.. ( but this is coursing my me troubles also, stucked at 30 hz)
there’s plenty of narrow cards with displayport that will drive 4k@60hz now - my personal fave is the quadro p400 (which will actually drive 3 4k monitors at 60hz and also has a nice low power load).

http://www.pny.com/nvidia-quadro-p400

I’d go that route myself (indeed I have one in my workstation at work) - but 3d performance isn’t a massive issue to me - if you game I guess the hit going from the gtx950 might matter?

jdnz wrote:
HM wrote:But now that I have put it all together, it appears that one of the PCI's are out of the game, becourse the cooler on my Asus GTX950 Strix is so big that the first PCI-slot is hidden behind it, totally hidden, and out of reach.

there’s plenty of narrow cards with displayport that will drive 4k@60hz now - my personal fave is the quadro p400 (which will actually drive 3 4k monitors at 60hz and also has a nice low power load).

http://www.pny.com/nvidia-quadro-p400

I’d go that route myself (indeed I have one in my workstation at work) - but 3d performance isn’t a massive issue to me - if you game I guess the hit going from the gtx950 might matter?
Thanks a lot, P400 looks very interesting, I am not gaming at all, but maybe GTX950 will be better for 4K video and GFX-acceleration in the Vegas 14 video-editor ????

BTW just got 4K working with 60 Hz, it was a problem with setup in the monitor
HM

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”