PCI Riser 32bit dual slot ,.. for seccond RME card

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HM wrote:Thanks a lot, P400 looks very interesting, I am not gaming at all, but maybe GTX950 will be better for 4K video and GFX-acceleration in the Vegas 14 video-editor ????
hard to know - depends what exactly it uses, the p400 does have a proper PASCAL engine, but only 256 cuda cores.
BTW just got 4K working with 60 Hz, it was a problem with setup in the monitor
does philips STILL default the monitors to dp1.1 and you have to go in to the menus and change to dp1.2 in the menus before you can do 4k@60hz? I’ve had that on their older 28” 4Ks but had hoped that by now they’d be making dp1.2 the default?

double
Last edited by HM on Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
HM

jdnz wrote:
BTW just got 4K working with 60 Hz, it was a problem with setup in the monitor
does philips STILL default the monitors to dp1.1 and you have to go in to the menus and change to dp1.2 in the menus before you can do 4k@60hz? I’ve had that on their older 28” 4Ks but had hoped that by now they’d be making dp1.2 the default?
Yes, exactly the problem, got it working late last night, setup was a mess IMHO, and defaulting to an old standard is strange, hope it will rember the new settings, so I dont have to do it each time I turn it on

Nice having 4K , .. and nice picture on the screen ,... fotos from the DSLR a hole new experience :-)
HM

HM wrote:
So what you say is that I cant use all I/O on 2 x RME HDSP 9652 installed in a Asus Z97A ????
Yes , that is what I am saying.
HM wrote: How exactly do you count to 48 Channels ???

Any combination of in and out channels you can think of that adds to 48 and doesn’t matter how many soundcards your using. Can be one card like madi or split across multiple cards.
When you enable 49 or more channels of ins, outs or a mix both in your daw, you just get loads of clicks and pops as the pci bridge tries to keep up with the amount of data its having to deal with.
Its a limitation of the bandwidth you have when bridging pci to pcie
HM wrote: From where did you get the 48-channel info ???
On the rme forum and some other forum I cant remember just now people were having trouble enabling more tha 48 channels on their madi cards when used on a bridged connection and from having two multifaces connected to my Z97k that should be giving me 70 channels(including spdif) but I get the same problems as everyone else when trying to use more than 48 channels.

I found the forum stuff by googling for rme on a bridged connection or something like that.
At the time I bought my Z97k there was lots of talk of some soundcards not working at all on some bridged connections. You can still find a lot of discussion on it.
Last edited by Acid Mitch on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

HM wrote: It surprises me much, becourse I guess Matthias Carsten from RME claiming the limit to much higher
Im pretty sure the claim is for motherboards with more than one native pci slot and not for motherboards with bridged pci - pcie slots.

you could try removing your graphics card and use the onboard graphics for testing the two RME cards to see how many channels you get without pops and clicks.
The one caveat is that if the onboard graphics or graphics card shares resources with the pci slots then this may affect the test. Should still give a good idea what to expect though.
Enable all ins and outs in your daw and check what gets recorded into the higher numbered tracks. I get the pops and clicks when just monitoring the tracks but some people recommend doing a loopback test and checking the recordings.

Acid Mitch wrote:you could try removing your graphics card and use the onboard graphics for testing the two RME cards to see how many channels you get without pops and clicks.
The one caveat is that if the onboard graphics or graphics card shares resources with the pci slots then this may affect the test. Should still give a good idea what to expect though.
Enable all ins and outs in your daw and check what gets recorded into the higher numbered tracks. I get the pops and clicks when just monitoring the tracks but some people recommend doing a loopback test and checking the recordings.
Thanks very much for taking the time to explain about the channels :tu:

48 ch limit is likely what I will get, but I can just accurately live with it, until next build, (to be based on two Raydats).

But raydats are overly expensive here, even second hand, so my two HDSP 9652 are not going to be retired yet, but got to serve me 2-3 years more :wink:

I have been trying to find solutions for keeping the GTX 950, include a relocation by a PCIe riser-ribbon, but after carefully measuring out the case for possible space for relocation I had to give up

So I just ordered the slim-line Quadro P400 card insteadt, I expect this to arrive in some days, and will just give it a rest until then

In case I will need more Cuda-cores for video-edit I can later update to P600 or even P1000, they are still slim-line, but first I will give the P400 a test-periode
HM

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”