Do all Audio Units (macOS) require restarting now?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

superscan wrote:In a high 98%, i do not need to log out or reboot. Some AU's require being removed and re-instanciated in the DAW. Universal Audio is the only installer that requires a reboot. I have over 1000 AU's scanned when Logic does it's update, so you might have a different issue. Since you list Logic, I'd open a case with Apple to see what they say.
Under High Sierra and Logic 10.4?

Neither Logic nor Live work as expected.

Not sure what triggers this but some AUs require restart, some don't. The number of cases where I needed to restart seems to improve though. Didn't have to restart for quite a while now. The logout/login trick is interesting. Good to know.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

I just read this thread:

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/view ... equired+AU

Someone suggested it has to do with Apple's new file system in High Sierra. I bet it's some kind of cache problem. The new file system has caused numerous problems. Poor testing was done by Apple of such a critical system component.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:Someone suggested it has to do with Apple's new file system in High Sierra. I bet it's some kind of cache problem. The new file system has caused numerous problems. Poor testing was done by Apple of such a critical system component.
Had the same impression although I do not have enough data to actually confirm this.

Btw, if you are running a Waldorf AU you should reinstall those with the updated versions (especially Largo and PPG Wave 3.V). They had a rather serious APFS bug that would screw up the directory structure during plugin scanning.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Many reasons to stay on macOS Sierra for now :)

I moved once and it was a nightmare for me too and I work in IT with this every single day
So I assure you, as someone who has supported and run Macs for about 5-6 years now (also actively participated in hackintosh forums and troubleshooting), I would suggest remaining on Sierra as long as you can.

This is the first time I have remained for so long on the previous OS, but there are too many bugs and potential pitfalls for macOS HS right now

Advise to wait..and wait and wait some more

This may all be fixed by 10.14 anyway :P

I have read many issues around the APFS system, including a possible deletion of data in unexpected circumstances..so best to stay put

Some more on this: https://www.logicprohelp.com/small-warn ... gh-sierra/ (https://www.logicprohelp.com/small-warning-updating-macos-10-13-high-sierra/)

Sierra was only usable here at 10.12.4 so there's hope yet for High Sierra. But I'll be staying on Sierra for a while as the impending end of 32-bit support will break too much stuff here and High Sierra already broke Logic 9.
Image Image Image Image

Well, with the exception of the occasionally required reboot everything is working perfectly fine now. Waldorf was the last major company to make their plugins play nice with High Sierra as far as I know. And to their credit they moved pretty quickly once they became aware of the nasty directory structure bug. So, unless you are doing commercial work and need to be cautious for professional reasons, there really isn‘t any reason anymore to stay on Sierra.

I’m on High Sierra on my new MacBook, no choice in the matter, but my home Hackintosh is staying on Sierra for the foreseeable future.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”