Running commercial audio software on linux

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I saw that Plugin Boutique had a sale on Ascension, so I watched some videos, and liked it's arpeggiator and midi file setup enough to cover the $22.
Ascension.png
There are four oscillators, and a lot of waveform and routing capabilities that I'll never get around to using, but some people thrive on such things, and Ascension provides a ton of sounds from which to build or carve.
There is a separate preset browser page, handy to get into the various collections (4 of them are included in the current sale)
and from there, you can go back to the main gui and go thru the sounds with the < and > widgets, where it's easy to turn off the too-often-used delay effect, to more cleary envisage using a sound. And you can utilize a long vertical list and choose from among the naming schemes, pads, basses leads etc

There are many enjoyable sounds to be found in the huge numbers provided, but many are also obscured by effects, rather than enhanced, but it's simple to turn off and drag/drop reorder the effects once you've found a cool sound.

I'm using it in Ubuntu Studio 20.04, with wineHQ stable 5.x and linux Reaper 6.x. when wrapped with LinVst. A 'sorry, reaper must close now' message has appeared several times during two hours of use. This pairing is far more crash-prone than most commercial plugins I'm using in linux, but some of that is on me
for having an unkempt system. :scared:

But this lack of stability is outweighed for me, by how well the user interface is presented. Instead of a wall of features, the most needed things are up front, while the depths are easily in reach when desired. The videos available are a big help.

https://youtu.be/y50couF-uxQ

WeeBeeJammin :hyper: Even if on eggshells :hihi:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

It's been awhile since a Cakewalk install in linux, so a fresh Ubuntu Studio with no wine
over-rides was a good test to see if wine is better, and Cakewalk still in the game..
Yes to both. The pic is the very nice Breverb, of which I had no knowledge,
and even less experience, hosted in basic Cakewalk in Ubuntu Studio 5.10 Good times. Cakewalks 'Drum-Replacer' is something I look forward to using :hyper:

Breverb-Cake-Linux.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

:neutral: I suppose we all have those days where reading the
effffinnnnngggggg manual is just unthinkable :neutral:

So with that in mind, I waddled over to the Tracktion website to see what's been sprouting. I came away with a 90-day trial of
'Collective', a sample player with a 3-gig library . I really like the gui, the colors, the sounds, and the presets are tagged.

I had to futz a little to get it installed, but it wrapped OK with LinVst, and working in linux Reaper 5.9. I sent a support request, but if you can handle reading a 38 page manual on a weekend, you might be well rewarded. Or watch a nice video with more
sounds than chat :hyper:

https://youtu.be/BImXoBN3r_M
Traction-Collective.png

glokraw wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:34 am I had to futz a little to get it installed, but it wrapped OK with LinVst
I think all/most of the Tracktion stuff is available natively on Linux as well? At least Collective seems to be :). Have you tried it?

Here is a debian package of MOK Wavrazor in use.
I haven't installed their other recent linux versions.
Reaper is simple to me, and more than I need,
so more complex daws can't compete for man-hours.
I tried the windows Waveform 10 in wine, which
seems in working order, but as with Cakewalk By Bandlab, I lack the time to 'learn' it.

MOK-Wavrazor.png

Waveform-wine.png

Amplitube 4/Fulltone in Waveform camouflage:

Amplitube-Waveform 10.png

:tu:
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Just dropping a post to say I really appreciate the work/documentation here, glokraw.

imrae wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:25 am Just dropping a post to say I really appreciate the work/documentation here, glokraw.
Definitely Agree! I may not always comment--other than an emoticon here or there, but I read glokraw's two Linux threads like a weekly magazine subscription. I always try to get the latest news and successes and such from the Linux realm from glokraw's threads. :phones: :tu:
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

A bit unrelated, but I see wine configs, so this may fit. Has anyone tried a KVM-QEMU win10 virtual machine with soundcard passthrough?

The performance drop should be negligible with KVM, and it might be very easy to get running by doing an USB soundcard passthrough, so the ASIO driver runs on the VM. Never having to reinstall all plugins when upgrading computers

rafa1981 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:36 pm A bit unrelated, but I see wine configs, so this may fit. Has anyone tried a KVM-QEMU win10 virtual machine with soundcard passthrough?

The performance drop should be negligible with KVM, and it might be very easy to get running by doing an USB soundcard passthrough, so the ASIO driver runs on the VM. Never having to reinstall all plugins when upgrading computers
I can't say that I've personally tried it. My goal was always to get "AWAY" from Windows and its licensing. :-)

I understand. I unfortunately don't have enough free time to spend it tinkering anymore, so I thought that this would be a way for me to be able to obliterate my win 10 partition on my next machine with pretty low running maintenance.

This way hopefully the setup would only be done once, instead of the configuration potentially breaking when updating Linux, wine, or some of the other moving parts. The VM could be for the DAW only, so no network card, no windows updates, etc.

Enough offtopic anyways.

Heh, I have a $3-400 win 10 lenova laptop that someone gave me unused. I was pretty shocked to learn
that it can not run linux, hard to believe but yeah, something about it's bios. Good thing it was free.

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobi ... n_v1.0.pdf

This might help, an official lenovo linux install guide.

papafox2 from a Lenovo forum mentions

"You need to disable "OS optimized Defaults" and allow legacy boot (by default UEFI boot is enforced). "
Hope it helps!

glokraw wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:18 pm https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobi ... n_v1.0.pdf

This might help, an official lenovo linux install guide.

papafox2 from a Lenovo forum mentions

"You need to disable "OS optimized Defaults" and allow legacy boot (by default UEFI boot is enforced). "
Hope it helps!
Thanks, I'll have a look. Not a huge deal as it's a pretty crappy laptop :lol:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”