Running commercial audio software on linux

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I hate when I double post, I'll do a useful 'instant replay' to hide my gaff :(

https://www.tone2.com/nanohost.html

manual https://www.tone2.com/nanohost_manual.html

Tone2 Nanohost is a 4.4 meg plugin host, used to make what amounts to a standalone instrument out of any plugin. I have quite a few favorite synths set up that way, Fathom, Hive, Synth1, Oatmeal, Superwave P8, BlueArp etc Nanohost adds some menus for choosing devices for i/o etc

Copy the Nanohost.exe alongside the desired dll, (with the plugin's support folders/data in the same location) and rename the .exe with the .dll's name
Fathom.dll then has Fathom.exe alongside it, inside the main Fathom folder.

Fathom-nanohosted.png

Plugins with special characters in the title, like the parenthesis in Hive(x64).dll
will need to be renamed

Hive-Nanohosted.png

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by glokraw on Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The choices are still there in winecfg panel. I have no idea
what any plugins look for in determining if they'll play,
or take their ball and go home. I doubt a superbly crafted
win-version search mechanism would be advertised as a feature. :wink:

winecfg-choices.png

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

No, I was referring to this change: https://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/ ... becfa03c1a

I've created a Wine bug tracker ticket for this here, but I don't know if that will get any activity.

coolblinger wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:51 pm Wine 6.7 had a fairly subtle but probably breaking change where it now reports to be running Windows 10 instead of Windows 7 like it did for a while now (this is independent of the Windows version dropdown in winecfg). I've seen this break the Spitfire Audio plugins, and it can probably break (or magically fix?) other things as well.
I went back & forth between 7 and 10 restarting Reaper/Kontakt each time, and then the same with the Plasmonic demo, and couldn't hear a difference, or see one in qjackctl cpu use gui. Let's hope there's more fixing than breaking until they get it fixed. Is placebo coding a thing? :hihi:

(now I've got cravings to buy Plasmonic, but a tax bill just arrived :dog: :( )

There may be a UNO Synth Pro on the shelves and in Fed-Ex trucks, but I've got the original UNO going to the great BlueCat Axiom amp-effects suite, in linux Reaper, and also to the great Rakarrack multi-effects app, commonly available, if not a default inclusion, in a linux setup near you. The outputs all recorded in Timemachine. This is Reaper 5.9x with wine-staging 6.7, and Ubuntu Studio 20.04, kernel 5.4.0-72-lowlatency #80-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT

Gimme a great ampsim, great effects, a great synth,
and wi-little-bitty cutoff knob :scared: :party: :hyper: :party:

ReaperAxiomRakTime.png

I've also secured the UNO output port to a splitter cable, so I can send dual outputs to various hardware effects units, when the Muse whispers such. The cable is secured to protect the UNO jack, with one half parallel on the left side of the synth , and the other tucked under the back edge flange that gave it some space for batteries, and a slightly beveled elevation when on a flat surface. Almost the weekend, hope the UNO Synth Pro owners will start dropping some reviews. The few I've seen are pretty impressive.
Cheers

There are some fun samples for PianoBook's DecentSampler,

https://www.decentsamples.com/product/d ... er-plugin/

and with this acoustic guitar 'strum' sample,

https://www.pianobook.co.uk/library/thr ... -guitar-3/

I carefully modified Replika's Notchrider (diffusion-enabled) preset to add a sustaining slowly pulsing rumble beneath the guitar sound. (emphasis on carefully!) Playtime!
I think I'll noodle an Array Mbira sound

https://www.pianobook.co.uk/library/array-mbira/

on top, for a melody, when I get this dialed in a bit more.

DecentSamplerReplika.png

I’ve been away for a bit, but my latest project has been a touch screen linux tablet. It’s a work in progress, but it’s coming along. Once things settle down on it, I’m going to try to see how it does with music apps. 🙂
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Sounds great, definitely a niche that needs to be filled! Tablet brands, model numbers and prices/stores would also be good to know as things progress. The DecentSampler has some decent sounds not requiring a flamethrowing gui, would be fun on a touch setup! The Nux MP2 headphone guitar-studio-on-a-jack also has an open-source editor, 'Mightier Amp' from Tuntori.
Cheers

Discovery Pro 7.2 is just out, with a linux vst3i included, with three sizes of the gui
to choose from, and Ob-XD also getting great updates. The presets from the screenshot make a decent starting point, no bassoon, or tuba, but still, gotta start somewhere... :hyper:

D-pro-Ob-XD-vst3.png

I didn't imagine the evening going this direction, but I added a new AVLinux drive to my setup, making another drive qualified to become a spear-catcher. So I went grubbing around for Pipewire documentation, because it's more of a buzzword lately, and soon will be a possible default install audio server in various linuxi, so a little nawliige kan't hertz......so after reading a qui little byte, I thought, this might actually be doable, donned my linux-doc hip-waders, and went fish'n

https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/pipewire-on-ubuntu/20008

https://wiki.debian.org/PipeWire#Using_ ... ACK.2FALSA

After the good-luck reboot :scared: things still seemed to have a pulse,
so went back to the docs, pretending to be an end-level BOSS :x BOSS

The picture is worth a hunnerd words, if willing to squint at the terminal texts, you'll see two jackd standalone apps started and working with the pipewire jackd wrapper... :hyper: My beeerain is officially done for the rest of May 2021 :wink: :party: TIME :party:

Pipwire-wrapper-in-da-haus.png

pw-jack .628/reaper

This little terminal command launches the V6.28 linux Reaper with Pipewire, so I loaded up the new free Martin acoustic guitar soundset from the PianoBook group, in
Kontakt 6, the plugin wrapped by LinVst for native linux daw use...and ready for action...(I can't really justify buying a Martin at this time, just sayin' :( )

Pipewired-linux-Reaper-K6 Martin.png

Why not? Here's Amplitube 5 with Fulltone overdrive and delay effects,
and a Coppertop Amp added to soften the blows just a tiny bit, running in the
same Pipewire launched Reaper 6.28

PipewiredReaper-Amplitube5Fulltone.png

Three-day-weekend left an hour for the yearly trip to Bandlab, to see if Cakewalk By Bandlab will still install and run...and yes, it does. I installed in the latest AVLinux, with wine-staging 6.8. As usual, several errors pop up, but just choose the ignore options and in the end, all should be well. I rejected the chance to install wine's Gecko, and msofts Edge browser, chose the basic session from the initial setup, loaded a demo project, and hit the play button. Musique! Then I had a squint-fest, and ree-reminded myself how to load a plugin in the beast, and the pic is worth a hundred and twenty three words.

I personally don't have time to learn such a massive daw, but I'll try and load some of the few problematic (for me) plugins in coming weeks. And how cool is the price, and the frequent updates from Bandlab?! I assume there is still a forum somewhere, and there is a discord:

https://discord.com/invite/bandlab

and of course all the Bandlab services awaiting orders.
Cheers

Cakewalk-SM_ONE-in AVLinux.png

The sounds are even better than the artwork :hyper: U-he More Feedback Machine II and Twangstrom spring reverb bring out the best in clean guitar tones, and with Bitwigs effect rack, it's simple to slide in a metal monster, or crunch amp to suit the song.

MFM2-Twangstrom-Bitwig.png

(A june sale on Bitwig 16Track would be kompletely kool...

(sorry, couldn't resist :dog: }

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”