I need a high end music pc - advice appreciated

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:Wow. Never heard that someone maxes out 32 GB of RAM. :)
One of my audio for film guys took a 64GB workstation around a decade ago... and then came back the following week for another 64GB.

It's not that uncommon! :)

About 8 months ago I bought a new computer for my music. I tried to figure out what specs are the most important for music software. What I learned after spending weeks of reading was that CPU speed is the most important. Get the fastest CPU (multicore) you can find. Second is to get a decent sized RAM. I choose 32 GB because it's enough for the stuff I am working with. I am not even using half of it so far. Your case might be different but more RAM will not remove underruns and other issues that you can get when the CPU load is high. If you don't have one you should buy an external audio interface. There are many good ones out there. I got myself a SSD and one regular 2TB drive. I store all my Kontakt libraries on the 2TB drive but most plugins and the DAW's are on the SSD. Loading stuff is much faster. USB ports are always good. The more the better :) ..for the rest I just got a decent graphics card and other more standard stuff.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Make sure you get M.2 NVMe drives, they are amazingly fast and if you do run out of ram are the quickest storage access available. Make sure you get the NVMe one as not all M.2 drives are. For example a Samsung 960 gives an amazing 3,500 MB/s read and 2,100 MB/s write speeds

Another massive +1 for going with Scan.

The knowledge pool there is deep, and the service second to none.

If you're going the Intel route, be sure the 4-digit model number starts with an 8 rather than a 7 (e.g. i7-8700K). The 8 series added an additional 2 cores to the entire line-up, making for the first 'generational' leap in performance since Sandy Bridge in 2011.

Amram
I'm impressed :love:

prob a bit rich for my budget, but heck
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Been looking at the HP Z series specs & prices that amram suggested:

https://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/business ... #!&tab=vao

Quite outrageous cost but it points the way toward a high end spec that could run a network.

The 2nd article link, the build-it-yourself approach, is pretty fascinating too, where the guy builds the lot for half price.

https://medium.com/@timgasser/build-a-1 ... de4d10a686

I found it all really useful info, and a good starting point for further searches.

cheers again, amram
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

You are welcome

You have this one too:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2818518760

It is up to 1tb memory DDR4.
the xenon cpus are really cheap , you can get 2 cpu of 4.2ghz or 4.5ghz for ridiculous prices.

I can confirm that 32Gb is not enough with large sample sets. I use Hauptwerk, a pipe-organ-specific software instrument. Some of the larger organs cannot be loaded even in 32Gb at full quality, with multi-samples.

Mushy Mushy wrote:Are you sure you're not doing something wrong? That spec looks quite decent already.
Actually, that build is not quite decent at all if you compare it to the performance of more recent chips. For instance, the OP's i7-4790 is barely faster than my 6 year old 3770k!

To the OP: maybe consider going all out and picking up a i9-7900X or faster? ;)

faster_pussycat.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Zexila wrote:Think that most folks who are heavy into Kontakt use another machine to host it via VEPro or similar.
This. I’m pretty sure that serious orchestral composers often use multiple networked machines to host all their samples.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

kevvvvv wrote:Am looking to get a new Win 10 machine to run Studio One, Kontakt and all the usual music stuff.

I'm looking for better performance to replace my current i7-4790 32gb RAM machine with invidia GTX 60 graphics card. I'm happy with my Presonus Audiobox.

The current system struggles when too many kontakts or synths are open.

What processor, memory, graphics card, and any other accessories do you recommend?

Also: Do you know a good UK music PC builder?

I've got £2k-£3K GBP to spend.

All advice welcome.

thanx = kevvvvv :)
I'm at a loss as to why someone would want a £3k new PC and to keep going with the Audiobox.

Heartfeltdawn wrote: I'm at a loss as to why someone would want a £3k new PC and to keep going with the Audiobox.
Well, to be fair, the Audiobox is built like a tank. :lol:

But yeah, that’s an entry-level interface. Just don’t know if replacing it with something like an RME or Focusrite would address the OP’s actual issue.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”