Win 10 Oct update deletes files in user folder- should we panic?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is Microsoft Gold diggers ?

fedexnman wrote: Is Microsoft Gold diggers ?
They sure is, but the pic Kr3eM posted was more aimed at the data mining aspect.

(Microsoft operate out of Redmont, hence Redmont 49ers, as in Miner 49er.)

A mixed bag, the '49ers is a reference to a gold rush
in California, late 1840's. Hence the name of California's
San Francisco 49ers NFL football team,
with gold colored trim and pants at the whim of
their uniform designers.

So the mining theme goes north to the Seattle suburb
township known as Redmond, home of Microsoft
corporate lawyers, and a few stragglers, some of
whom may be looking for work soon :hyper:

Redmond is not a bad place to live,
if you trim your vst budget accordingly :wink:

So... anyone switching to Linux?
No signature here!

Well it evidently an official concern/coclup as update (auto)pulled.
Ive updated no issues.
Its going to be interesting to see what responsible and why this wasn't flagged by the beta team/prerelease/early build peeps. Indicating possibly something very specific to those users. Nowadays I thought most people use backups or cloud services for important data like music/photos/files. OR Maybe thats the conspiracy, get people paying for one drive lol! Ok not a laughing matter.
But I cant help think there's a lot more too it as I've known and see over a dozen people update without incident.

MFXxx wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:38 am Its going to be interesting to see what responsible and why this wasn't flagged by the beta team/prerelease/early build peeps. Indicating possibly something very specific to those users. N
I read that it might be a problem with a new option for saving some of the personal files folders in the OneDrive app. If that is true, then it is indeed pretty specific, because you need to manually activate that option, it isn't activated by default. Would also explain that so few people suffer from this issue. I updated 3 computers on day one, no problems on either of them.

chk071 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:06 am I read that it might be a problem with a new option for saving some of the personal files folders in the OneDrive app. If that is true, then it is indeed pretty specific, because you need to manually activate that option, it isn't activated by default. Would also explain that so few people suffer from this issue. I updated 3 computers on day one, no problems on either of them.
Do you use the OneDrive app?

Yes. I don't have the saving of the personal files folders activated though.

chk071 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:12 am Yes. I don't have the saving of the personal files folders activated though.
ok, and this function was not available as an option before this update in OneDrive's settings?

(edit:spelling and such)
Last edited by Kr3eM on Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

chk071 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:06 am
MFXxx wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:38 am Its going to be interesting to see what responsible and why this wasn't flagged by the beta team/prerelease/early build peeps. Indicating possibly something very specific to those users. N
I read that it might be a problem with a new option for saving some of the personal files folders in the OneDrive app. If that is true, then it is indeed pretty specific, because you need to manually activate that option, it isn't activated by default. Would also explain that so few people suffer from this issue. I updated 3 computers on day one, no problems on either of them.
There's still no consensus what is causing this as there's many reports with completely different setups. So the root cause is still undetermined.

Also, most people are still completely oblique to what a backup is, so this is a very serious matter. People are reporting hundreds of gigs of files deleted without way to restore them. Another Windows Update huge clusterf*ck.

It also does not seem to be that limited either as all the computing sites I'm regularly visiting are full of reports of this happening. That Microsoft pulled the update indicates that it's a serious and widespread enough.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:14 am It also does not seem to be that limited either as all the computing sites I'm regularly visiting are full of reports of this happening.
And support forums are full of issues, for any OS. Doesn't mean that OS's are full of issues.

There's very few reports about this, considering how many people only visit forums to report problems, or rant about them. Dramatizing such issues isn't exactly helpful either. What we need now is people who reliably can report details about the issues, not nay-sayers, and people who spread drama.

chk071 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:19 am There's very few reports about this, considering how many people only visit forums to report problems, or rant about them.
Well, I suspect there's more than myself who choose not post anything if a issue is allready in full blown rant mode on a forum, but rather wait for any usefull information about a solution. So how many people are affected is unknown, though if it had been a forced update I think the number would have increased heavily and the outrage had been much worse, but I digress.
chk071 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:19 am Dramatizing such issues isn't exactly helpful either. What we need now is people who reliably can report details about the issues, not nay-sayers, and people who spread drama.
Couln't agree more.

Kr3eM wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:13 am
chk071 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:12 am Yes. I don't have the saving of the personal files folders activated though.
ok, and this function was not available as an option before this update in OneDrive's settings?

(edit:spelling and such)
As far as i read, it is new to the OneDrive client since the 1809 update. And, the option to sync the personal folders with the cloud have surely been revamped, they didn't look and act that way before the update.

As you had the deletion of your personal files: Did you manually activate that option in OneDrive before the update?

chk071 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:52 am As you had the deletion of your personal files: Did you manually activate that option in OneDrive before the update?
I use Windows 7 SP1 with one platform update (on My DAW), thats it, have been since 2012 or something like that. I am just asking from a pure interess point of view since I may have new build soon which I will try either Windows 10 or Linux, well most likely both.

So even though I will never ever use a cloud or any service with automated execution functions like delete or move data, I am very keen on knowing what features is available on any system I use. Specially since the directions of modern development seems to decrease the users flexibillity and freedom more and more, and I do not trust anybody on a dev team to not f*ck shit up with an update and even change system settings that I have not agreed on without notification, either by accident or intent.

I do appreciate you sharing the information, it helps me increase the view of and workings of things.

Ah... then i misunderstood one of your former posts. Thought you actually had Windows 10, and faced the problem yourself.

It's really hard to get info on what's happening on the person's concerned computers. There's gotta be something different. Issues don't just happen to pop up out of nowhere, even though it may sometimes appear that they are. A guy on a Win 10 support forum i visit daily did some tests on his computer, and suspects that the addressed OneDrive client option is the culprit. Let's see. At the moment, the "tech" sites all state scandal and horror news, instead of actually pursuing the source of the issue. Unfortunately, that's a very popular tactic these days. They rather report about people on Reddit "shouting in capitals", than to actually see what might be causing the issue.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”