BEST CPU FOR REALTIME AUDIO

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Get the Ryzen. It's just overall better and more powerful CPU.
No signature here!

Turbo's are staggered. So on a 4 core chip it might be:

core 1 = 4.2 (base clock
core 2 = 4.3
core 3 = 4.4
core 4 - 4.5 (single/duel thread turbo)

Channels are assigned to threads on the CPU. If any given thread craps out the whole lot crackles, so in this instance if the 4.2GHz thread is overloaded, then it crackles and it doesn't matter about the extra performance that's left over.

I tend to favour locking all the cores to a given clock speed to ensure a more uniformity in performance handling. It's overclocking, but I tend to advcate remaining around the "max turbo level" but doing it to all the cores.

robotmonkey wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:52 pm Get the Ryzen. It's just overall better and more powerful CPU.
If you work at low latencies the current generations of i7 and i9s will give superior ASIO performance which some audio nerds need... follow the scanaudio posts on this topic if you want some solid information on this topic.

Scotty wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:52 am
robotmonkey wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:52 pm Get the Ryzen. It's just overall better and more powerful CPU.
If you work at low latencies the current generations of i7 and i9s will give superior ASIO performance which some audio nerds need... follow the scanaudio posts on this topic if you want some solid information on this topic.
:roll: I'm well aware of this. If you'd bothered to read the OP then question was about choosing between two specific CPU's.
No signature here!

I can't afford an i7 not to say an i9

Yes, my apologies robotmonkey... I missed the obvious step of going back a page and made assumptions. - Scotty

robotmonkey wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:18 pm
Scotty wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:52 am
:roll: I'm well aware of this. If you'd bothered to read the OP then question was about choosing between two specific CPU's.

Hi all, first post here.

I'm looking to upgrade from my 2009 Macbook Pro with core2duo 2.53GHz at some point. Is the core speed the most important when it comes to audio proccesing? Would an AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 4 core @ 3.5GHz be a decent upgrade or would an I5 8400 6 core be better despite the speed being lower at 2.8Ghz? I currently use a Motu 8pre Firewire.

Thanks!

Same old question, More cores or more speed... It will depend on what software you're using and how it manages multicore processing. Also what kind of work you are going to do.

I5 8400 6 core is overall much better and faster CPU so it's an obvious choice. Especially if looking into the future.
No signature here!

Only the latest "unstable" (whatever that currently is in the development repository) linux kernels are likely to run ryzen correctly, something to keep if mind if you ever intend to run linux on that machine, you may need to wait a few years until the dust settles in.
~stratum~

Hi, funnily I have the same DAW Usine Hollyhock and the same problem: real-time audio effect with guitar plugged in the audio interface. I use many zynaptiq plugins which are insanely CPU hungry. Given that I’m considering a Linux/Hackintosh PC (laptop or desktop), which are the best CPU right now for real-time audio processing? Could you give me some choices both for laptop and for desktop? Please consider an unlimited budget.
Thanks

alemusica wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:34 am Hi, funnily I have the same DAW Usine Hollyhock and the same problem: real-time audio effect with guitar plugged in the audio interface. I use many zynaptiq plugins which are insanely CPU hungry. Given that I’m considering a Linux/Hackintosh PC (laptop or desktop), which are the best CPU right now for real-time audio processing? Could you give me some choices both for laptop and for desktop? Please consider an unlimited budget.
Thanks
I don't have an answer per se, just a complication :D

Real-time audio performance is the sum of all the parts, of which the CPU is only a part. I don't know about server parts, but the 9900K or the 3900X are great - if you can wait, the 3950X should definitively beat the 9900K in pretty much every benchmark. But there's also the audio interface, motherboard, the RAM, the GPU, all the drivers, OS settings, etc. that go into real-time audio. With a high-end CPU, you're actually likely to NOT see 100% CPU usage yet be getting audio drop-outs due to other parts of the system.

The thing about high-end chips is that they can easily produce a lot of heat. Unless laptop fan noise won't bother you, I'd stick to desktop towers (e.g., Fractal R6) with Noctua cooling.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”