NVMe vs SATA SSDs

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sale on this evening, so will buy a new laptop. Am I right in thinking I should go for a NVMe (PCIe based) SSD if I can, rather than an older SATA based one? Quick google searches are telling me NVMe drives are far quicker, and haven't seen any obvious down-sides to them. Apologies if this is a dumb question, but though I can run a ventilator in ICU, probably strip a medical device down and put it back together without killing someone...computer drives are just magical little boxes where you put stuff in, and some gremlin inside churns stuff back out at you... :hihi:

NVME all the way - heaps faster (as in 2000mb/s+ vs about 500mb/s tops for a sata ssd).

And thanks for reminding me the PBT sale is online tonight....off to hunt bargains....

Thanks - confirmed what I was Googling. I ended up getting an Hp laptop with 512MB NVMe SSD - only saved $200, but still better in my pocket than theirs. There are a few good deals on there though - I thought about one of the ASUS zenbooks, some of which have decent reductions and similar spec except they're all SATA SSDs.
Strangely I thought long and hard about getting an e-scooter. Dunno what on earth a computer shop is doing selling scooters, and in the end I thought - yeah great for going down to the beach, but I seriously doubt those scooters would get me back up the hill here. Nothing flat within miles round here, unlike down your neck of the woods...

NVMe seems to be what it's all about today. I went with a 970 Pro for my new build (the Pro having twice as long life expectancy over the Evo and doesn't rely on a cache to cheat to the high speeds, not that that would be an issue, the cache is so large, you'd never out do it).

No more seeing those nice landscapes when booting W10. Browsing sounds is so much quicker, the load in kontakt flashes on the screen faster than being able to know what it was, like snap of your fingers fast. Preset hopping in Nexus, quicker than quick... DAW/Project load time still takes time but vastly improved.
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

Having used the new laptop for a wee while now...jeez, it loads up fast. Used to have to go make a cuppa or something while the old desktop booted from scratch, but with these new NVMe drives, it's probably 3 seconds or less. Everything is just so much quicker.

...don't they get reeeealy hot the nvme's

I do prefer standard SATA SSDs.
If you have a good standard SATA SSD like Intel 545s or Samsung Evo 860, you won't notice any difference in speed. You only see a difference if you completely run out of RAM memory as the dump to virtual memory will be much faster but still slow.

NMVMe requires dedicated cooling to work properly under heavy load, standard SSDs do not.
NVMe only advantage is saving space, it is designed for laptops and other forms of small form factor computers. And by the time you add proper cooling to the NVMe SSD you lose this advantage.

BananaJoe wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:27 pm I do prefer standard SATA SSDs.
If you have a good standard SATA SSD like Intel 545s or Samsung Evo 860, you won't notice any difference in speed. You only see a difference if you completely run out of RAM memory as the dump to virtual memory will be much faster but still slow.

NMVMe requires dedicated cooling to work properly under heavy load, standard SSDs do not.
You really shouldn't be giving advice about PC storage. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

-e.B
-- Insert profound words here --

downSouthside wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:26 pm
BananaJoe wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:27 pm I do prefer standard SATA SSDs.

You really shouldn't be giving advice about PC storage. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

-e.B
If you had an idea you would be contributing showing how i am wrong.

How can you hook up a NVMe to an iMac or Mac mini without spending $300 on an enclosure? Any reliable enclosures that are cheap and do the job just fine?

downSouthside wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:26 pm...
BananaJoe wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:50 pm...
Throttling, whilst there is some truth to the issue, it's not one.

An NVMe drive is so fast, by the time throttling would occur, you'd already be so far ahead it wouldn't matter... finished! Especially when considering the newer drives like the 970 pro. The 960 doubled the throttling window of the 950 and it's faster. A double win. We're not talking catch up, this thing will be finished.

A lot of the MB's have a heat plate now specifically for the drive. I didn't get one but there's no graphics on my music PC (Integrated i7), plenty of airflow.
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

what is a PBT sale?

Peanut butter toast, I assume?

I’ve got NVME drives in my 17” Alienware laptop, and that thing is screaming fast. I’m actually thinking of swapping one of them out... I’d foolishly added a 1tb drive for samples, not wanting to pay the premium for a 2tb 970 pro. Of course I filled that up quickly and am now wishing I’d just bought the 2tb to begin with.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

mitchiemasha wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:04 pm
downSouthside wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:26 pm...
BananaJoe wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:50 pm...
Throttling, whilst there is some truth to the issue, it's not one.

An NVMe drive is so fast, by the time throttling would occur, you'd already be so far ahead it wouldn't matter... finished! Especially when considering the newer drives like the 970 pro. The 960 doubled the throttling window of the 950 and it's faster. A double win. We're not talking catch up, this thing will be finished.

A lot of the MB's have a heat plate now specifically for the drive. I didn't get one but there's no graphics on my music PC (Integrated i7), plenty of airflow.
The mainstream sources typically only do synthetic benchmarks that does not matter anything. Several tests made by users including myself shows negligible difference when comparing high end standard SATA with high end PCI-e of same brands and lines, you may google for it. Boot times are improved with PCI-e and you may notice it, it is just a few seconds faster at most. Other than that the only improvement comes from copying files to another PCI-e storage device. Throttling is a major issue depending on your work, and it is caused by heat, heat decreases the life time. The heat dissipation that comes with a few motherboards does almost nothing without a fan pointing directly to it to dissipate the heat.

Work flows that benefit from PCI-e are video edition workstations and high performance servers that serve a huge number of clients where every little bit of extra performance matters in the big picture as well as the already mentioned small form factor devices, at the cost of losing PCI-e lanes too.
Last edited by BananaJoe on Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Comparative in real life https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKv8cAaJgqs

Most of the time is is about the same speed, sometimes slower, sometimes faster by like 2% at the double of the cost.

Video author:
"vmreviews7
I don't find any significant difference between these two in gaming, be it fps or load times. There was a slight difference when working with editing tools like vegas, premiere i.e. the response time was better with nvme when scrubbing through video files ."

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”