E-MU 1616m, 1212m, 1820m, 0404 Audio Interface - Complete Windows 10 (1903 & Above) Installation Guide

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

All sorted now; a few of the old "try something a little different" attempts and BOOM, my 1616 has risen from the ashes. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU sherwoodsound!!!

You are all very welcome. :phones:
Those of you that have issues installing, please go through the instructions extremely precisely.
Stay safe. :tu:

vibesnrh wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:41 pm In Device Manager my card is just listed as "multimedia audio controller" under a tab called "other devices", with a problem sign on it. I changed the name in the script to "multimedia audio controller" and it ran without any errors. But the status in Device Manager hasn't changed and still when I try to fire up PatchMix, it tells me that I don't have a PCI or Cardbus installed.
Hi Vibesnrh,

Sorry, it looks like the driver installation "EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA.exe"
is failing for some reason. Cannot help you there.
Are you sure you have uninstallad the old EMU driver and PatchMix?

OK, now I saw your latest post, congrats.
Lil Borg

just registered here to say thank you ClubHouseKey and Sherwoodsound!
My Emu-0404 PCI-e works on Windows10 after using this fix. Such an excellent piece of hardware still usable in 2020.

hammerdave wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:24 pm just registered here to say thank you ClubHouseKey and Sherwoodsound!
My Emu-0404 PCI-e works on Windows10 after using this fix. Such an excellent piece of hardware still usable in 2020.
Great to see another user successfully keeping these great cards going..

And yes, the guys mentioned have done a great job... glad you found a solution here )))

I have successfully installed my old E-MU 1820m on new Ryzen 3700X / Win10 PC. I haven't used 1820M long time because I've only used laptop since after Core 2 Quad desktop. E-MU 1820m is recognized flawlessly via PCI-PCIe bridge (ASM1083). I think the hacked driver is better performance than the last E-MU beta driver. (a little better low latency performance, working without glitch at heavy CPU load by high buffer, no latency drift) Thank you very much for the effort.

I haven´t writen in a forum in more than 10 years.
I´m writing because my 1616 stoped working about half a year ago due to windowns updates. Thanks to this guide I managed to get it back up and running. Thank you so much!

Seeking a PCIe 1212 for sale. Is that okay to post here?

Several years ago, I replaced my MicroDock 1616m with a MOTU UltraLite AVB. Very similar, with some DSP processing (but hardly the array of special effects), lots of I/O including 8-channel optical (but no S/DIF), and the browser-based routing grid is fantastic! I don't do live production, so don't need more I/O, but it would be nice, if only to avoid swapping patch cords when playing more devices.

So I'd like to get my MicroDock back into the system. But my 1212 card is PCI, not PCIe. My computer's up to it and has an open PCIe slot. Anyone got a lead on an PCIe 1212 for sale? I also have an unused XP laptop in good shape, but going that route seems a bit too complicated.

Incidentally, a couple years ago, after two years of great service, my MOTU, at the time in Win 7, suddenly started giving me BSOD. We tried everything, driver rollbacks, OS rollbacks, hardware swaps, everything. It even happened on a second computer of mine, both having similar ASUS boards. In every other respect, both worked fine. So for a year, I put the MicroDock back into service. Finally, facing the end of Win 7, I got a new ASUS mobo system, upgraded to Win10, which instantly solved the problem. Not a hint of any trouble since, so I'm still very pleased with MOTU.

But I'd love to have E-Mu's DSP and extra I/O routed into its optical.

Follow-up: I've discovered this. Seems to good to be true. Will inquire as a separate post. Leaving my original post here because of the other thoughts.
https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters ... d~PEX1PCI1
(Actual retail price is a bit less than MSRP.)

olfogey wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:04 am Follow-up: I've discovered this. Seems to good to be true. Will inquire as a separate post. Leaving my original post here because of the other thoughts.
https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters ... d~PEX1PCI1
(Actual retail price is a bit less than MSRP.)

Maybe this is interesting here?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Converter-Ad ... 3332727731

Thanks. Same concept, different manufacturer (or branding, but I do see that these the components on these various cards differ). The StarTech card has arrived. Will see how it goes.

Let's take the slot adapter issue to my other thread, which is dedicated to it.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=544457

Hi,

Like so many I created an account to say thanks for putting this process together. I love my 1820M and was happy to keep it going.

Unfortunately I'm not sure it will survive my computer upgrade. Like someone wrote previously, I used the StarTech PEX1PCI to adapt the PCI card to PCIe (works great by the way). This setup was running great on my MSI i7-4770k motherboard with Windows 10 and the driver install from this thread. However, the 4770k was getting long in the tooth so I upgraded to an MSI Prestige Creation x570 motherboard with an AMD 3950x processor. My first AMD in over 15 years. Very nice for DaVinci Resolve but that's another story...

Anywho, I used the same PCI to PCIe adapter card and driver install process. As soon as I go to install the 2.30 beta drivers, the system crashes. It crashes so badly that I have to reinstall Windows 10. Has anyone else tried installing on an X570 chipset with success?

As an aside, I even went down the road of hacking Windows 7 Ultimate to run on my x570 (not fun). Unfortunately, it also crashes when trying to install the beta drivers. At least I can recover from that. Unfortunately, the common thread between the Win7 and Win10 installs are the AMD x570 chipset drivers. I think this is the problem. I'm using the latest driver.

Ok. I'm sorry for a really long first post but hopefully someone has successfully installed on an x570 chipset.

Any feedback would be appreaciate.

Thanks.

I have no solution, except to commiserate a bit. The MOTU incompatibility that popped up on my Win 7 machines happened literally overnight. Working with MOTU (who were very cooperative, but saw no other customer with my mess and had only a couple Win7 computers in-house, neither like mine), I mixed and matched, and reset and reloaded and reinstalled everything relevant, to no avail. As I've noted, the problem disappeared as soon as I replaced the mobo with another by the same maker and upgraded to Win10. (Did both simultaneously, IIRC, so not much diagnostic help there.) We suspect the issue was USB support, which I figure Windows may have changed in an update that I was unable to avoid during the Windows reinstall. So, we'll see how it goes. Enough troubles in the world right now without adding this one. First I will do a full Windows backup and manually copy my key data files. So don't wait on me.

PS: I don't think your post is too long. Solutions, like beauty, are in the details.

Thanks to all who have contributed to make my trusty 1616m continue to work in Win10.

Has anyone had any trouble getting the 2nd midi port on their dock to be recognized? My system only recognizes midi port 1, with no option to select midi 2 anywhere. I've tried all my software, and they all see only 1 midi port, so it seems to be a higher/system level issue.

On my E-MU 1820m I have both MIDI ports, but only visible if I use CoolSoft MIDI mapper.
midi_EMU.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”