E-MU 1616m, 1212m, 1820m, 0404 Audio Interface - Complete Windows 10 (1903 & Above) Installation Guide

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Leeee wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:11 pm
SoNic67 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:18 am Windows10 ver 2004 broke again the audio drivers. The X-Fi drivers are compromised, hopefully Creative will provide a fix.
I guess the only thing to do is just run through the process again, I have version 2004 and it is working. Creative won't provide a fix, since these have long been legacy devices.
I did go again trough the same process and I am still at the point where the PatchMix won't see the external bay...

Update: I had to use the corrected script for short name "E-MU E-DSP", and that had in the .ps1 file an typo at the end, that left the card (in Windows) in a "deactivated" mode. I enabled it in Windows and it worked!
Thanks!
Last edited by SoNic67 on Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

If you make installation procedure as Easy_Does_It had done it earlier your E-mu card will work like a charm without any interruptions, even on Win10 2004 version. Don’t install any X-Fi drivers it’s useless. Only beta version from 2011 year.

To use E-mu Power FX as a vst plugin you have to do another procedure as it made in description under some YT video
"For everything to work, you must completely disable DEP for all 32x applications! Next You need to open the EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.exe.rar archive, Just add the .rar extension inside the Bin.cab file you got the vst folder from it, it is located in TargetDirXP and moved it to the vst folder for all 32x plugins."
Last edited by ravraw on Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hi. I have been following you guys for a while now. Excellent job sherwoodsound and ClubHouseKey!
I have the 1616m PCMCIA version.
I held back upgrading my old laptop for years because I knew that the 1616m would not work on newer systems.
I have tried UAD's stuff (apolloX4) as well as MOTU.
As far as I can see there is no mixing + fx console that comes CLOSE to the versatility of patchmixDSP.
My question:
1. My new laptop has Thunderbolt 3.0 and is running windows 10. However, there is no PCMCIA slot. Is there any way I can get the 1616m system card to work on my computer?
2. If not :-( , which console software / interface is the most similar to the 1616m / patchmixDSP software?

Thanks,
Shmuel.

I have followed the guide up until the powershell point. I have to get to powershell by pressing "windows+R" and entering the text powershell. I then enter the script as described but I get this message:
Set-ExecutionPolicy : Cannot bind parameter 'Scope'. Cannot convert value "loclmachine" to type
"Microsoft.PowerShell.ExecutionPolicyScope". Error: "Unable to match the identifier name
loclmachine to a valid enumerator name. Specify one of the following enumerator names and try
again:
Process, CurrentUser, LocalMachine, UserPolicy, MachinePolicy"
At line:1 char:40
+ set-executionpolicy unrestricted-scope loclmachine
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Set-ExecutionPolicy], ParameterBindingExcepti
on
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgumentNoMessage,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SetExe
cutionPolicyCommand
Im not sure what this means or how to continue.
Im on WIN10 build 2004

I've gotten into powershell as admin and I still can't get past the first line you have in the directions. It would be helpful for those of us who are less experienced, if in the directions, you would delete" CODE: SELECT ALL".

Well, mine was happily working for a week or so until last night. Might very well be something unrelated, but 3 times I got some nasty transient, followed by windows crashing. The 3rd time, it made a horrendously loud hissing noise, which only stopped once I cut the power. Now, Windows will not boot, even safe mode gives a BSOD, and none of the recovery methods work (and I've tried every tutorial for fixing boot failures I could find).
The drive seems fine, I've managed to get all my files off of it, but the only solution I have left now, is to do a clean windows install and re-install my DAW, plugins & hardware all again.

It may well be nothing to do with my E-MU, maybe something else corrupted Windows 10. I had no problems at all in years of using this setup with Win7.

Hello! my problem is not resolved even i perform each task in the exact order listed, could you help me?

dharris2112 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:59 pm Hi,

Like so many I created an account to say thanks for putting this process together. I love my 1820M and was happy to keep it going.

Unfortunately I'm not sure it will survive my computer upgrade. Like someone wrote previously, I used the StarTech PEX1PCI to adapt the PCI card to PCIe (works great by the way). This setup was running great on my MSI i7-4770k motherboard with Windows 10 and the driver install from this thread. However, the 4770k was getting long in the tooth so I upgraded to an MSI Prestige Creation x570 motherboard with an AMD 3950x processor. My first AMD in over 15 years. Very nice for DaVinci Resolve but that's another story...

Anywho, I used the same PCI to PCIe adapter card and driver install process. As soon as I go to install the 2.30 beta drivers, the system crashes. It crashes so badly that I have to reinstall Windows 10. Has anyone else tried installing on an X570 chipset with success?

As an aside, I even went down the road of hacking Windows 7 Ultimate to run on my x570 (not fun). Unfortunately, it also crashes when trying to install the beta drivers. At least I can recover from that. Unfortunately, the common thread between the Win7 and Win10 installs are the AMD x570 chipset drivers. I think this is the problem. I'm using the latest driver.

Ok. I'm sorry for a really long first post but hopefully someone has successfully installed on an x570 chipset.

Any feedback would be appreaciate.

Thanks.

NEW user here..

TAICHI X370 MOTHERBOARD WITH 1700X. pcIE RISER CARD TO 1010 PCI DAUGHTER CARD WITH 1820M EXTERNAL INTERFACE.

I busted out my dusty 1820m (just bought some JBL 305's) to install and having the same issue as dharris- Right when I begin install of the driver it BSOD's with the error stopcode: DRIVER OVERRUN STACK BUFFER.

I do remember doing A line by line deletion of All EMU instAnces when I wAs still in windows 7 prior to updating to windows 10.

I'm going to check the stop code And see About thAt.

I would love to get this card working AgAin. several yeArs go I've even fiXed one of the deAd cAps that wAs cAusing A bunch of static.

Sorry for the crazy random cAps- keyboard wacked out.

Hello all,

FWIW, I've just registered here to say that I'd run across this site previously when MS broke this the first go around and it's worked then and now. I've just performed this process again with no issues.

For the record, using a 1616m.
fingersg wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:25 pm I have followed the guide up until the powershell point.
Cannot convert value "loclmachine" to type
Assuming you'd not fixed this, check your spelling.

sherwoodsound wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:54 pm
Coxy wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:27 pm Whats so good about these interfaces that isn't easily matched by anything you can buy today?

That's meant in a genuinely curious way not in a provocative way. 1212m was my first ever proper audio interface.

Whilst good, I never felt I was left wanting when I moved on to something else. Hence the curiosity.
The specifications for the E-MU 1212m and 1616m are incredible for the price at the time and as stated you would need to spend thousands to get close to these cards. For example, the Apollo series by Universal Audio starts at around £2000. The Apollo series was designed by the engineers that created the E-MU 1616m/1212m after Creative dismantled E-MU and the engineers went to work for UA.
I've just come across this post, I've been making do with a cheap Behringer UMC404HD for the past couple of years on W10. I've had an 1820m for years and it's been fantastic. I've got some time-critical studio production and mixing to do this week so I'll hold of due to risk and once complete I am very eager to get my trusty E-MU back. BTW I used to be Sonar Cakewalk also years ago on PC, but switched to Reaper around the time it was mothballed, I know Bandlab has got it now but never looked back with Reaper as it is light, powerful and a really easy workflow.

simonsifi wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:07 pm
sherwoodsound wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:54 pm
Coxy wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:27 pm Whats so good about these interfaces that isn't easily matched by anything you can buy today?

That's meant in a genuinely curious way not in a provocative way. 1212m was my first ever proper audio interface.

Whilst good, I never felt I was left wanting when I moved on to something else. Hence the curiosity.
The specifications for the E-MU 1212m and 1616m are incredible for the price at the time and as stated you would need to spend thousands to get close to these cards. For example, the Apollo series by Universal Audio starts at around £2000. The Apollo series was designed by the engineers that created the E-MU 1616m/1212m after Creative dismantled E-MU and the engineers went to work for UA.
I've just come across this post, I've been making do with a cheap Behringer UMC404HD for the past couple of years on W10. I've had an 1820m for years and it's been fantastic. I've got some time-critical studio production and mixing to do this week so I'll hold of due to risk and once complete I am very eager to get my trusty E-MU back. BTW I used to be Sonar Cakewalk also years ago on PC, but switched to Reaper around the time it was mothballed, I know Bandlab has got it now but never looked back with Reaper as it is light, powerful and a really easy workflow.
Worked perfectly! Thanks @sherwoodsound for the post. My old 1820 is up and running, I thought it was the 'm' version but alas it's just the straight 1820. Anyway, it still sounds cleaner, clearer and louder than the Behringer UMC404HD, whose inputs are quite clean but the output levels are low and quite noisy, especially the headphone out that's almost useless for live tracking monitoring even with a headphone amp attached. Much appreciated! So far it seems stable, I've had no errors or crashes and I guess the latency should be better over PCI than a USB 2.0 interface so that's good.

I'd forgotten how powerful the PatchMix was, I've got 2 x ASIO outputs setup one going to my studio monitors and the other to my headphones separately. In Reaper I've configured 2 x instances of Sonarworks Reference 4 with different plugin output pins, so I can seamlessly switch between speakers and headphones with the appropriate EQ correction curves with no plugin switching, just by muting the speakers or headphones in Patchmix.

Only slight issue is I seem to be limited to 44.1KHz and 44KHz only, PatchMix does not give me the option for 96 or 192 - if anyone has any ideas that would be useful ???

Otherwise Fantastic!

Hello, I've tried the instructions posted but cant get past step 4, tried many ways to install the drivers but the outcome is always the same " "Setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system setup will exit""

Unfortunately I've just updated to Windows 10 2004 and i've havent found a way to make it work

Does anybody has the same problem as me?

kbzona1981 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:32 am Hello, I've tried the instructions posted but cant get past step 4, tried many ways to install the drivers but the outcome is always the same " "Setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system setup will exit""

Unfortunately I've just updated to Windows 10 2004 and i've havent found a way to make it work

Does anybody has the same problem as me?
I'm on 1907 (I think) but it sounds more like hardware not being seen to me, than drivers. Windows saw the device when I first installed it and showed as 'EMU DSP' in device manager even before I installed any drivers.

simonsifi wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:09 am I'm on 1907 (I think) but it sounds more like hardware not being seen to me, than drivers. Windows saw the device when I first installed it and showed as 'EMU DSP' in device manager even before I installed any drivers.
Unfortunately I've tried all pcie slots and still Win10 recognizes it as "Multimedia Audio Controller",
maybe the problem is a combination of my hardware and windows 10

Mobo: b350m MSI
Cpu: Ryzen 2400G

Using latest BIOS

vibesnrh wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:14 am All sorted now; a few of the old "try something a little different" attempts and BOOM, my 1616 has risen from the ashes. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU sherwoodsound!!!
Seems that you had the same problem as me, card recognized as "multimedia audio controller"

would you mind sharing the solution please???

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”