Technical (audio) problem. I need help! (please)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello.

I'm having a problem which I think should be fixed in the Windows settings but I don't know how:

When I'm using my DAW, if I touch (put focus to) another window for example Mixed In Key for example the default Windows internet browser then my DAW audio engine and playback stop. It resume when I touch (put focus back to) the DAW.
This wasn't a problem until I want to automate a VST instrument which opens a 2nd window for its interface. I'm not giving the name of the instrument, to protect the innocent!

My old computer didn't do this.
My new computer do this and has always do this since I had it.
I'm using Windows 10 on a decent enough spec computer. The problem isn't the spec of the computer I think.

I've tried with Reason 10.4 and with Maschine 2.9.2 and the same thing happens.
I've tried with Ableton Lite and the DAW playback engine doesn't stop when I touch for example Mixed In Key or for example the default Windows internet browser, but nonetheless it breaks when I try doing automation. Actually it doesn't even bounce correctly with Ableton Lite or Maschine. For example 4 quarter notes 1 2 3 4 on the downbeat, it only records the first note then a nasty noise.
In Reason it record all 4 notes but they sound different than was playback. (for example filter or unison are not correct).

Thankyou very much. I ask here first because I thought people on this forum enjoy being helpful and resolving technical problems. If nobody can help me here then I'll ask the developer of the instrument. Once again: Thanks!!

I forgot to mention: My audio interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen.

I have updated the drivers/firmware of the Scarlett to the latest version, but the problem still the same.

I suspect you are using the Asio driver of the Focusrite Scarlett. The Asio driver is usually not multi-client. Just one program is granted exclusive access, because then it can dictate the sample rate to the hardware.

Could it be that on your prev computer you used built-in audio chip? These are usually multi-client...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

^^ Seems likely. Some asio drivers are multi-client (NI for example), but not all.

Thanks for your replys.

My previous computer was using an M-Audio M Track 2x2m with ASIO drivers.

I think the Scarlett sounds much better than the M-Track. Can you recommend something with a decent sound quality comparable to Scarlett but multi-client ASIO drivers? My immediate thought was "oh no not NI!"

I haven't heard the sound quality of NI, except my new Traktor Kontrol 2 which i'm not completely happy with the quality of the sound.

Spring Goose wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:22 pm Thanks for your replys.

My previous computer was using an M-Audio M Track 2x2m with ASIO drivers.

I think the Scarlett sounds much better than the M-Track. Can you recommend something with a decent sound quality comparable to Scarlett but multi-client ASIO drivers? My immediate thought was "oh no not NI!"
I'd go for RME. But thats just me :)
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Which RME? :D

I'm trying to get my head around the Babyface Pro FS. Can you tell me what "24 channel" means?

I've used an NI Audio Kontrol 1 for 13 years and never had an issue with it. Sound quality is spot on, as is the midi with low latency. If it ever fails I'll likely buy a new NI interface.

Spring Goose wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:13 pm I'm trying to get my head around the Babyface Pro FS. Can you tell me what "24 channel" means?
Looks like 4 stereo line ins, 2 x mic ins plus ADAT connection.

Thanks.

I just thought, maybe I can use both the Scarlett and the M-Audio, swapping to the M-Audio when I need it, then back to the Scarlett for mixing. :)
Well it might be the interim solution.

Does anybody know if the UAD has multi-client ASIO drivers?

I'm worried that there won't be much between the NI and the M-Audio, and that I'll be wasting yet more of my money!

I mean i'm not unhappy with my Komplete Control keyboard, and the Komplete Kontrol software, and the Maschine software, but I was a bit concerned by the noisy audio of the S2.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”