43" monitor anyone?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does anyone use a 43" monitor for their set-up? If so how is it?

You can get the Illyama 43" with a 3840 x 2160 resolution for around £400 which is the equivalent of four 21" monitors apparently.

One guy on Youtube is saying you need to be at least 2-3 feet away otherwise your eyes tire very quickly... but then is the text too small in a DAW? Is a smaller resolution better in fact?

Dunno about tiresome, but, if you have such a big display in front of you, you will be moving your head around a lot to see things left, right, or at the top and bottom. Also, I just don't see the point of such a big display right in front of you. Better get a ultra wide screen for more screen estate. That makes much more sense in my opinion.

A chiropractioner said to me you always look straight ahead or down to a computer monitor, so good point.
An ultra-wide mean a much larger left-right movement however..

Super useful- thanks

Finding a 43" without PWM and TN which doesn't make me use vertical upwards head movements ..

I have a curved 4K 40” and found that I prefer to run it at 1440p. I’ve also noticed that I don’t use the full height of the display with my DAW. I’ve come to believe that ultra wide QHD is the ticket but I currently use a separate mixer window or zoom video)/ outside my daw on the screen works well.

I’m not a fan of multiple screens, prefer a centered display.

Interesting.
You prefer to run it at 1440p because the text ends up bigger I presume.

I've tried both 43" 4K and 38" UW (3840x1600)

At a workable viewing distance I found the 4K too tall, definite neck strain looking up to the top edge (espec on macos since that's where the menu bar is). Horizontally no problem - though being flat had off-axis issues at the edges.

The curved 38" cured all those complaints - but cost considerably more

jdnz wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:54 pm I've tried both 43" 4K and 38" UW (3840x1600)

At a workable viewing distance I found the 4K too tall, definite neck strain looking up to the top edge (espec on macos since that's where the menu bar is). Horizontally no problem - though being flat had off-axis issues at the edges.

The curved 38" cured all those complaints - but cost considerably more
Great info, thanks. I'm going to ditch the 43" idea.

I had a 43" for a couple of weeks.
Like people have mentioned above, you have to move your head a lot.
I found that the edges were really too far out to the sides for it to work for me.
In the end I settled for a 32" 1440p screen. Love it. Would like it slightly bigger, but AFAIK there's still no 34-36" monitors on the market with a 16:9 ratio, so I'm happy with what I've got for now.
I complement it with a 27" monitor in order to have the mixer and a spectrum analyzer open at all times. Suits me better than one massive screen.

I could get a 40" monitor: https://www.amazon.co.uk/HANNspree-HL40 ... 223&sr=8-3
but the resolution is HD. Does that mean it will be grainy at this size i.e effectively a TV?

pinki wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:18 pm I could get a 40" monitor: https://www.amazon.co.uk/HANNspree-HL40 ... 223&sr=8-3
but the resolution is HD. Does that mean it will be grainy at this size i.e effectively a TV?
there are uses for 40" fullHD/1080p monitors (things like digital signage where you just don't need/want 4k resolution) but not something you'd want to be running on your desktop (even for gaming it's pretty chunky)

for ukp400 you should be able to find a decent 34" uwqhd monitor (3440x1440) - a good compromise between size, pixel density and cost

jdnz wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:28 pm
pinki wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:18 pm I could get a 40" monitor: https://www.amazon.co.uk/HANNspree-HL40 ... 223&sr=8-3
there are uses for 40" fullHD/1080p monitors (things like digital signage where you just don't need/want 4k resolution) but not something you'd want to be running on your desktop (even for gaming it's pretty chunky)

for ukp400 you should be able to find a decent 34" uwqhd monitor (3440x1440) - a good compromise between size, pixel density and cost
Yes.. good, I was just starting to go that way. The Iiyama 34" Ultra Wide seems just the ticket and around £300
https://www.amazon.co.uk/iiyama-ProLite ... 881&sr=8-1

My Studio with 43" 4K Samsung TV used as a monitor.
viewtopic.php?t=7760&start=5010

Mostly use the bottom half
The top half is for less used apps.
I am thinking of getting a program to split the screen (top and bottom) as if it were two monitors.
All programs will open in the bottom screen and then I can move some to the top.

Any bigger screen and my right ear will not see the right speaker and the left ear will not see the left speaker. I view the screen at about 18" away.

It is so big that I often cannot locate the cursor.
Perhaps it actually disappears.
Last edited by Kalamata Kid on Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:43 am, edited 6 times in total.

pinki wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:24 pm A chiropractioner said to me you always look straight ahead or down to a computer monitor, so good point.
An ultra-wide mean a much larger left-right movement however..
It really depends how big it is. Admittedly, for working, ultra wide has its cons.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”