Tracking Apple Silicon Native Hosts, Plugins, Effects

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic

Double Tap wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:32 pm Apparently anything that requires iLok or uses Pace software can't be updated until Pace updates to Apple Silicon. Some background here:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/produc ... compatible

Yikes

Double Tap wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:32 pm Apparently anything that requires iLok or uses Pace software can't be updated until Pace updates to Apple Silicon. Some background here:

True. But it should be noted that Pace itself runs fine under Rosetta 2 for x64 binaries.

teilo wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:12 pm

True. But it should be noted that Pace itself runs fine under Rosetta 2 for x64 binaries.
Yes of course, but this thread is about which developers have released native software, so if someone is wondering why their favourite plugin isn't here, that might be the reason. I'd be interested to know which developers use Pace, since from my very limited understanding, it's not just about iLok.

Double Tap wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:16 pm

Yes of course, but this thread is about which developers have released native software, so if someone is wondering why their favourite plugin isn't here, that might be the reason. I'd be interested to know which developers use Pace, since from my very limited understanding, it's not just about iLok.
There are other Pace copy protection products, particularly in the industrial and financial markets, but that's pretty much irrelevant for music production. I know of no music developers that use Pace outside the iLok ecosystem.

teilo wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:36 pm
Double Tap wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:16 pm

There are other Pace copy protection products, particularly in the industrial and financial markets, but that's pretty much irrelevant for music production. I know of no music developers that use Pace outside the iLok ecosystem.
sonible

Ouch! That is brutal!
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Ploki wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:55 pm
teilo wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:36 pm There are other Pace copy protection products, particularly in the industrial and financial markets, but that's pretty much irrelevant for music production. I know of no music developers that use Pace outside the iLok ecosystem.
sonible
sonible uses iLok. Just as with many other developers, you can choose to use the dongle or not, but it's still iLok.

teilo wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:41 pm
teilo wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:36 pm There are other Pace copy protection products, particularly in the industrial and financial markets, but that's pretty much irrelevant for music production. I know of no music developers that use Pace outside the iLok ecosystem.
sonible
sonible uses iLok. Just as with many other developers, you can choose to use the dongle or not, but it's still iLok.
Not entropyEQ, and you still need to install pace support.

https://www.sonible.com/wp-content/uplo ... ropyEQ.pdf

I dont have it in my ilok manager, and it says in the manual it needs it installed. I remember when installing it

Ploki wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:19 pm
teilo wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:41 pm
sonible
Not entropyEQ, and you still need to install pace support.

https://www.sonible.com/wp-content/uplo ... ropyEQ.pdf

I dont have it in my ilok manager, and it says in the manual it needs it installed. I remember when installing it
That is not what the docs say at all (and I own a few Sonible plugins, by the way). The only Pace product Sonible directs you to install is iLok License Manager. You don't need an iLok account to use its activation support, so you will not see any Sonible product in iLok License Manager unless you transferred your Sonible license to iLok. But you still need the iLok Manager for activation to work.

https://help.sonible.com/hc/en-us/artic ... SB-dongle-

So as I said before: I know of no music production software that relies any Pace product outside the iLok ecosystem.

true - i had remember as if you only need pace support files.
i remember Melodyne making callbacks to Pace related stuff even if you don't have license on iLok - but it also seems it's iLok related in one way or another.

So I guess the sensible thing to do is to run two systems - if possible - one for older projects and one for new projects using plugins that are available... or wait!

kelvyn wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:56 am So I guess the sensible thing to do is to run two systems - if possible - one for older projects and one for new projects using plugins that are available... or wait!
No, there aren't many plugins which don't work at all on my M1 - this is about whether or not they have native architecture and will run faster.

There are a few plugins which don't work at all yet, like several of d16s instruments, because they need to be completely rewritten (they told me), but most plugins which work on Intel MacOs will work when translated through Rosetta.

kelvyn wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:56 am So I guess the sensible thing to do is to run two systems - if possible - one for older projects and one for new projects using plugins that are available... or wait!
Even via rosetta, m1 performs as good as a 6-core i7 (but cooler). Which you cant get in the form that M1 is currently offered in.

Double Tap wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:12 am
No, there aren't many plugins which don't work at all on my M1 - this is about whether or not they have native architecture and will run faster.

There are a few plugins which don't work at all yet, like several of d16s instruments, because they need to be completely rewritten (they told me), but most plugins which work on Intel MacOs will work when translated through Rosetta.
I only use my M1 Mini for live streaming with Audio Hijack and OBS. I use the native version of Audio Hijack, Loopback, and FF Pro R and Pro C2 in that workflow. But I did load up a few projects in Logic on it just to test things out. Rosetta 2 really is seamless. It easily kept up with my 2019 16" Macbook Pro 8-core i9 for anything I threw at it. But my projects are not super complex.

I will be switching to the first 16" AS machine as soon as Apple releases it. (As the CIO of my company, I get the new toys, and others get my hand-me-downs).

teilo wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:41 pm
I only use my M1 Mini for live streaming with Audio Hijack and OBS. I use the native version of Audio Hijack, Loopback, and FF Pro R and Pro C2 in that workflow. But I did load up a few projects in Logic on it just to test things out. Rosetta 2 really is seamless. It easily kept up with my 2019 16" Macbook Pro 8-core i9 for anything I threw at it. But my projects are not super complex.

I will be switching to the first 16" AS machine as soon as Apple releases it. (As the CIO of my company, I get the new toys, and others get my hand-me-downs).
nice!
It handles more in practice than my i7 6-core mini - in fact i sold it because i had no reason to keep it at all. Even where memory is of concern (sample libraries), M1 with half less RAM simply handled more voices, via rosetta no less.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”