Budget Ryzen vs. M1

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Today, at the GOOGLE convention (GoogleIO), they announced they have a chip (the TP4) that runs at EXAFLOP speeds.

"Think about it this way, if 10 million people were on their laptops right now, then all of those laptops put together would almost match the computing power of one exaflop," said Pichai.

They are throwing money at AI and virtual human building. They can render you virtually in 3d now.

also, South Korea announced a nation wide endeavor to create a virtual world.

we are f**king DOOMED.

Hehe. Bigger problems Dasheesh ?
Yeah, I started whatching the IO highlights with what they calling Lambda
I think it was borderline creepy.

That's why I'm not the target audience for such presentation shows. They make you think that they will take over the world soon. Obviously people like and need that. To be WOW'd.

Frankly, I don't even understand most of the shit they talk there. I have my feet on the ground, I don't fly high up in the sphere somewhere. Bullcrap.

how old are you again chk071? I was thinking you were older then that. Do you remember the world before 2000? the entire world was turned on it's head and made unattainable in the last 20 years. we went from push button phones to hand held data collection devices. These people have your eye scan, your finger print, your daily movements, who your family and friends are, how much money you spend and what you spend it on. They know where you are and what you are doing right now. They know where you are sitting, and in what room. They know where your kid goes to school, when you pick them up, and what route you take home. They even have your DNA. Their goal is to make a digital copy of you and render life useless. They are pure evil, and we cannot shut them off.

If you have never taken the time to GOOGLE GOOGLE's quantum computer and image it.... you should. we are about 20 years away from cyborg tech. Our grand children will be fighting each other over implanted tech. The richest will survive.
Last edited by Dasheesh on Wed May 19, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

As I mentioned...
chk071 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:52 am I have my feet on the ground, I don't fly high up in the sphere somewhere.
;)

jancivil wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:29 pm There is a Thunderbolt 4, so I don't know how it's being phased out. I don't know, but I would need that supported by something before I believed it.
Well, perhaps then it's the earlier version which was merely replaced by usb3. It's nothing new, it's been occurring in Macs for the last 7 years that there's less thunderbolt connections than ever. I'm glad to hear the technology is improving though; that will probably ensure that the technology gets a fair shake, faster than usb3 after all.

you could look it up

Personally, I'm jumping into the M1 world. Yes, I have just upgraded my Ryzen CPU/Motherboard/RAM in my Desktop PC but I'm getting MacBook Air so I have both worlds in different sizes :hihi:

M1 looks fantastic (I really don't care about OSX vs Windows vs Linux! All are OSes!). The energy consuming + the silent operation means a lot! If I haven't a desktop already (good monitor with PS5/Xbox/Switch connected as well), I would buy the new iMac! It is a crazy great value for the money! But I don't have room for it unfortunately!

The only thing is to check the compatibility of the software with M1 (native or Rosetta). I'm not worried about the support. Soon, all will support M1 natively. It is the history repeating itself when Apple moved to intel!

Being a fanboy is old fashioned now :hihi: I'm an opportunist when comes to computers :D I'm with the strongest! M1 seems the winner in CPU wars for now ;)

^ Strongest compared to what? It's not that powerful...

Compared to AMD and Intel in energy/noise/heat. These are very important factors especially for musicians. I have my PC now almost silent with some light tasks (like writing here!) with just 35c but as soon as the pressure starts and the CPU temperature is 70c, the fans will start like crazy! (I have silent good case by the way).

I chose the lowest speed to make it almost silent (and still I can hear the whisper of the fan!).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I'm running an AMD Ryzen 1700 and it's dead silent. I can hear monitor hiss and I won't hear my computer, even when working on heavy projects. So I wouldn't say you can't have a really quite PC, you just need to have the right cooler and case.

I'm using an air cooler, BeQuite! Dark Rock Pro 4, huge cooler, but it keeps it really cold at low rpm and the case is a Fractal Design Define R5. Before, I had a Hard Drive in my PC, and it was the only loud part, you could actually hear it buzzing and I thought it was something else. As soon as I switched to SDDs, that noise went away and it's whisper quite.

After did all that, I was scared, I thought the fans weren't spinning cause I couldn't hear it. :lol:

nIGhT-SoN wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:46 pm I'm running an AMD Ryzen 1700 and it's dead silent. I can hear monitor hiss
Try some balanced cables (if you're talking about the path from your audio interface to your studio monitors, of course). I had some noise issues, which I lead back to my monitor, but, it actually was my wireless mouse, and using balanced cables from my audio interface to my speakers completely removed the noise.

nIGhT-SoN wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:46 pm I'm running an AMD Ryzen 1700 and it's dead silent. I can hear monitor hiss and I won't hear my computer, even when working on heavy projects. So I wouldn't say you can't have a really quite PC, you just need to have the right cooler and case.

I'm using an air cooler, BeQuite! Dark Rock Pro 4, huge cooler, but it keeps it really cold at low rpm and the case is a Fractal Design Define R5. Before, I had a Hard Drive in my PC, and it was the only loud part, you could actually hear it buzzing and I thought it was something else. As soon as I switched to SDDs, that noise went away and it's whisper quite.

After did all that, I was scared, I thought the fans weren't spinning cause I couldn't hear it. :lol:
I have fractal design Define r5 like yours with hyper 212x air cooler. I had be quiet with the previous cpu (1600x) and it was very quiet, but 5800x is different, so the motherboard has aggressive cooling. I have gigabyte, maybe Asus is better, or maybe the cooler is not quiet as the previous one, but something is sure and it's this 5800x can run hotter than 1600x.

Anyway, I already ordered a MacBook air, so I will enjoy the silence as Dave did :D

I was considering upgrading my i7 8700k to a Ryzen 5900x but went with the M1 Mini instead for my DAW and web dev computer. I was using a 2018 i7 mini and the PC is mainly for gaming but I was considering moving to Windows for music full time since I'm running Cubase and an RME HDSPe AIO Pro interface. The cost for me to upgrade my mobo and CPU is right around what I paid for the M1 with 16/1TB drive. I decided on the Mini for the single core speed, low power consumption (5w idle to 30w at load for the M1 vs 130w at load for the 5900x) and the overall lack of noise from the M1. I haven't heard the fans once and the machine runs super cool. It's been 3 weeks and so far I don't regret the decision I made. :tu:

B

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”