Windows 11 coming very soon

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

anyone know about i9 7900x compatibility?

BONES wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:09 am What yellow icons?
Folder icons.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:00 am I will upgrade to Windows 11 probably as soon as my PC receives it. I am assuming my PC will be compatible, as it is 2017 make and my motherboard has the TPM module (not sure if it is 2.0, but it is likely).
i have a Surface Book (with Performance Base) from 2016. I was surprised to find that PCHealthCheck reported it would not run Windows 11. The only thing I am missing from the stated requirements was TPM 2.0

I think this is going to be the case for a lot of computers out there.

EDIT: this is very confusing. It turns out PCHealthCheck is reporting incorrectly, and needs to be fixed. I checked my Surface Book again and it does indeed have TPM 2.0 so I am now hoping that I will be able to update, but I will wait for the fixed PCHealthCheck to arrive to know for sure. What a mess MS has made with this simple tool.
Last edited by JamminFool on Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:25 amFolder icons.
But that's the colour of a folder, a manilla folder. What other colour would they be?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Haptix wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:17 am
chk071 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:04 pm Uh oh... there's a storm brewing up over the requirement to have a Trusted Platform Module 2.0 in your computer to be able to run Windows 11.
TPM 2.0 has been a requirement for WIN 10 laptops since 2016...
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... urity.html
How can that be when 3 of the 4 Windows 10 computers I maintain don't have TPM, and half of the net wonders about the new requirements in Windows 11 to have TPM?

My PC isn't compatible either. I am going to replace it, really glad I didn't do that when I originally planned.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Yes, so this will certainly be a big problem, since most computers do not support TPM 2.0. Many will wonder if their CPU or motherboard is even compatible, which TPM module might need to be purchased, etc.

This will be interesting if hardly any computer supports the requirements for Windows 11.

I really can't imagine that, that's why I wait what will happen. Microsoft worked hard to get Windows 10 on 1 billion home PC's, so, they surely wouldn't want to throw that away now.

Btw... I read this:
Microsoft has posted the specific requirements for the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) chip that will be needed to install Windows 11, indicating that TPM 2.0 is recommended but not a firm requirement for running the operating system.

As I understand this.. TPM 1.2 is working too for the installation but the newer 2.0 is recommended. But TPM support must be present in any case, Windows 11 cannot be installed without TPM.

BONES wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:20 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:25 amFolder icons.
But that's the colour of a folder, a manilla folder. What other colour would they be?
Yes, I understand. Actually, colour is one thing, but even the folder icon itself does not appeal me and I am tired of seeing the same (similar) icon since ages. I love the icons (type and colour) on Mac OS and I am happy I don't need to hunt for such skins or gimmicks (not that I would though considering how messy it can be) now that Windows 11 will bring this natively.

Unfortunately, there is no way to change icon colour and type of ALL folders at once in Windows 10.

JamminFool wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:37 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:00 am I will upgrade to Windows 11 probably as soon as my PC receives it. I am assuming my PC will be compatible, as it is 2017 make and my motherboard has the TPM module (not sure if it is 2.0, but it is likely).
i have a Surface Book (with Performance Base) from 2016. I was surprised to find that PCHealthCheck reported it would not run Windows 11. The only thing I am missing from the stated requirements was TPM 2.0

I think this is going to be the case for a lot of computers out there.

EDIT: this is very confusing. It turns out PCHealthCheck is reporting incorrectly, and needs to be fixed. I checked my Surface Book again and it does indeed have TPM 2.0 so I am now hoping that I will be able to update, but I will wait for the fixed PCHealthCheck to arrive to know for sure. What a mess MS has made with this simple tool.
Thanks for the information. I will check on my PC today and let you know how it goes. It would be disappointing to miss out on this free upgrade that I am looking forward to.

Bummer, my motherboard does not have TPM module installed. It just has a header, so I will need to buy it separately. Damn it. I will wait to see if Microsoft changes there requirements though. In the meantime, any suggestions for a TPM 2.0 module? I have a Gigabyte motherboard, but guess any brand is fine since it is a standard module.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:05 amYes, I understand. Actually, colour is one thing, but even the folder icon itself does not appeal me and I am tired of seeing the same (similar) icon since ages.
If that's your biggest problem with Windows, then I think Microsoft have been getting a lot of things right for a very long time. Because I have to tell you, that even as a graphic artist the style of any of the folder icons in any OS is not something I have ever spent so much as a single second thinking about. If it looks like a folder, then it's doing it's job.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:06 am Bummer, my motherboard does not have TPM module installed. It just has a header, so I will need to buy it separately. Damn it. I will wait to see if Microsoft changes there requirements though. In the meantime, any suggestions for a TPM 2.0 module? I have a Gigabyte motherboard, but guess any brand is fine since it is a standard module.
I just checked what this module cost if you buy the Asus one, and it was around 10 EUR. Not too expensive, but still a bit annoying.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

BONES: I wish I could overlook the looks. :) But it is just something that helps me to be a bit more creative/productive. I agree that in the end it is not helping us complete our things. I will not think too much about it since at some point I will migrate to Windows 11.

starflakeprj: Yeah, exactly. I have asked my computer vendor if he has a TPM 2.0 module. Hopefully it will be cheap where I am. I am not going to buy it now though, only when Windows 11 is finally available for upgrade and the TPM requirement is still valid by then, which I think it will be, unfortunately,

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”