Best HDD For Sample Libraries (6TB+)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've got a dedicated 2TB sample library HD that's full, and additional sample libraries spread across another drive for that's got 1.5TB used up (combination of media and sample libraries). I'm thinking at some point I should really just consolidate into a single, 6TB (or larger) hard drive.

What's got the best blend of great performance (e.g. running BFD3 and/or Kontakt libraries), good to decent noise, decent power consumption and large sizes? I think I'm basically for 7,200 RPM platter...so are we talking WD Black and like Seagate Exos or Ironwolf Pro? Anything else I should be checking out?

I'd go ssd sata3. probably crucial for a decent price. Practically everything they make is refurb tho, often people forget that was their sales pitch years back in early 2k. The speed on hdd just is not enough for a sampler imo.

This 4tb, a price that could likely be bettered somewhere else for an idea.
https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-870-QVO- ... B089C5P5SX

So nobody was able to use samplers until they had SSDs; riiiiight. That sounds legit and very well-informed about BFD and Kontakt disk streaming.

Anyway, FWIW, a 4Tb SSD will cost you an arm and a leg, next step up is 8Tb at two arms, two legs and three bollocks. Crucial dont make any internal SSDs larger than 2Tb.

Quick looks makes me think IronWolf Pro seems to be better priced than the WD Black? £185 for 6Tb from Scan.

Definitely a swap, not an add, ie no spare SATA ports?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:23 pm So nobody was able to use samplers until they had SSDs; riiiiight. That sounds legit and very well-informed about BFD and Kontakt disk streaming.

Anyway, FWIW, a 4Tb SSD will cost you an arm and a leg, next step up is 8Tb at two arms, two legs and three bollocks. Crucial dont make any internal SSDs larger than 2Tb.

Quick looks makes me think IronWolf Pro seems to be better priced than the WD Black? £185 for 6Tb from Scan.

Definitely a swap, not an add, ie no spare SATA ports?
I am using the IronWolf Pro (bigger one - 16 TB) with vey good results.
Fernando (FMR)

is noise an issue to you? the exos and ironwolf pro are typical enterprise drives - rated for heavy use, but also meant for rack mounted storage servers, so tend to run relatively hot (need decent cooling) and really kind of loud. Even the big normal ironwolfs are pretty noisy (got an 8tb in a nas at home - I can tell when it’s active).

if you’re on windows and have enough drive bays available you could use win10s storage spaces across two or more smaller drives (say a pair of 4tb ironwolf’s if you need 8tb) - ‘simple’ mode it’s basically raid0 so not only will let you use smaller/quieter (and often cheaper) drives, but will accelerate performance markedly. Also storage spaces allows future flexibility (need more space - add another drive to the pool)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”