Windows 10 keeps cutting out my audio but I can't find out why

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Having been through this myself I know the frustration! :(

Maybe youve got another application on your system that is taking control of audio. eg something like skype, zoom for example? You could take a look at what apps youve got that are allowed to start in the background or get started at boot time and either disable them / stop them auto starting or check their settings for audio control. And when this audio cut-out happens you could run task manager to see what else is running.

Also have you tried this combination:
windows audio setting for playback devices : 'allow apps to take exclusive control' = ticked
studio one 'release audio devices' = unticked

First of all, some things you didn't clarify yet:

1. Are you using ASIO or MME with your audio applications?
2. If you are using ASIO, which hardware is currently selected for the MME Audio System?

From what you wrote before, I suspect you are using the same audio hardware for everything, which is NOT advisable, IMO.

Besides, the Motu 828 mkii is now very old, and the drivers may not be optimized for Windows 10. I checked, and could only find drivers updated for Windows 8: https://motu.com/download/download_matc ... duct_id=21

You may wish to consider updating your audio hardware. If in doubt, open a ticket at MOTU.
Fernando (FMR)

Long story short it's to do with the Motu 828mkii USB driver - I installed the Motu on my son's new Windows 10 computer and installed his Presonus Audiobox 96 on my machine. No audio dropouts on mine while on his the audio cut out after around an hour. At least I now know it has nothing to do with my machine and I can safely go ahead and buy a new interface. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice - greatly appreciated šŸ‘!

:party: :wheee: :tu:

Carystaal wrote: ā†‘Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:17 am Long story short it's to do with the Motu 828mkii USB driver - I installed the Motu on my son's new Windows 10 computer and installed his Presonus Audiobox 96 on my machine. No audio dropouts on mine while on his the audio cut out after around an hour. At least I now know it has nothing to do with my machine and I can safely go ahead and buy a new interface. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice - greatly appreciated šŸ‘!
As I suspected. Glad you sorted this out - unfortunately, it means you will have to spend some money :(

That said, the new MOTU Ultralite Mk 5 seems like a great choice. I installed the Ultralite in a client recently, and she is more than happy with it.

There are also the Arturia interfaces as a possibility. Anyways, if you have the money, my strong advice would go towards an RME interface. I am still using an RME HDSP PCI + Multiface, which dates back more or less from the time of your MOTU, and it still serves me well, and has drivers and firmware updated for Windows 10.

THIS is what I call customer support and product longevity.
Last edited by fmr on Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Go with RME. Top-quality in all aspects. :tu:

RME is the king of performance!
The RME USB(Babyface Pro) stuff has better performance than some
PCI/PCIe/Thunderbolt stuff from other manufacturers!!
https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.ph ... count=4631

Cool!

Before you splash out on a new interface, go into the windows device manager and bring up all of your usb controller entries, and make sure the power management for those devices is turned off and that they are always on. That can cause what you have posted.

JamminFool wrote: ā†‘Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:28 pm Go with RME. Top-quality in all aspects. :tu:
And expensive...

I'm pretty sure that you're generally good with something less expensive, if you don't need the absolute lowest "I'm a pro who can't play in my orchestral pieces on anything with more than 3 ms of latency" deluxe device.

you don't get top-quality for cheap.
there are plenty of alternatives if you are looking to save.

For all of the affecteds by this problem i have a few advices that may help you:

+ Don't use the latest driver versions, use a version older by two previous versions, and if it's possible look for a version with the win10 compatibily on it's initial release; Normally this beta drivers for win10 have more stability on newer versions of win10.

+ Look for all audio devices linked to your interface on windows sound devices and then give to each one the desired frequency rate you are using, and DON'T FORGET THIS: Always disable both exclusive use checkboxes, this way windows will not change it all the time (That's what causes the problems).

+ make sure of not disconnecting the interface while the system is running.

Return to ā€œComputer Setup and System Configurationā€