Apple staying with intel on new Mac pros

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

No comments lol. Ok I will start : Theres no mention of M1X ETA or performance, it may be that M1 cant scale much higher than it already has and they are stuck. The message is : pros use Intel, despite Apples Intel put downs. Some huge confusion will result.

Surprise surprise.

Funny comments though. As if a single DAW was responsible for that. Pros want performance. M1 is a compromise between performance and power consumption, just like any mobile CPU.

Theres no mention of M1X ETA or performance, it may be that M1 cant scale much higher than it already has and they are stuck
There's no mention of Intel either in Mac Pro's, it's just rumors at this point, but whatever it is, they will cash in as always.
The message is : pros use Intel, despite Apples Intel put downs. Some huge confusion will result.
Yeah, we all be confused that Apple is still taking money left and right from that same pro's...
Last edited by Passing Bye on Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Passing Bye wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:33 pm There's no mention of Intel either in Mac Pro's, it's just rumors at this point, but whatever it is, they will cash in as always.
Anyone who has been waiting for M1X and pro models will be shocked. What of the ARM investment that people have made? This rumour has good weight. Will Apple make out of this? They might lose instead as the taunting of Intel seems to have been premature. Its a backtrack.

You will loose your hair waiting for Apple to loose anything, they will cash in as always, at this point they should make AMD Mac Pro and cash in on all CPU religious suckers out there.

:tu:

chk071 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:28 pm Pros want performance. M1 is a compromise between performance and power consumption, just like any mobile CPU.
well, I had pretty much the highest end MacPro at one time and use an MBP exclusively today. The latter's form factor doesn't enter into it, it's a vastly more powerful machine. I can do rather massive things in realtime (a large part of which is the drivers for my audio interface; still 64 > 24 so whatever form factor I'd be having more up in realtime per se. It also specs out rather higher, and rather higher than many things people use, including this vapid "Pros" gesture {which you ain't}).
It uses plenty of power, there is no such thing as a compromise there. Cubase Pro and VE Pro in itself is going to use the battery up rather quickly: guess what? We plug it into the wall. :lol:

You have only assumptions and they're typically showing as wrong here. You can't possibly be using the platform, why all the talk? Silly.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jancivil wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:51 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:28 pm Pros want performance. M1 is a compromise between performance and power consumption, just like any mobile CPU.
well, I had pretty much the highest end MacPro at one time and use an MBP exclusively today. The latter's form factor doesn't enter into it, it's a vastly more powerful machine and I can do rather massive things in realtime.
Which generation Mac Pro? Which generation Macbook Pro?

Apples and apples, not apples and oranges.

You're the one shifting the goalpost.
You asserted something general regarding a compromise which has no basis. The point is, the form factor doesn't enter into it.

You asserted, I countered, now you want to change what the argument was, being flatly wrong.
This machine is going to spec out higher than some things "Pros" use, which can be observed. You never mentioned a specific object for comparison. You made a very broad generalistic assertion which is unsupportable, now the burden is on me to talk about specific objects. You don't know what you're talking about.

You aren't using any Mac or you could know something. All pure assumption, unexamined with no empirical basis.

jancivil wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:06 pm You asserted something general regarding a compromise which has no basis. The point is, the form factor doesn't enter into it.
It does. Mobile CPU's are a compromise between performance and power consumption. Unless you have a battery with 1 kWh in it. Then it probably won't matter much. Although the cooling won't be sufficient either, in such a small device.

I'm really surprised that you don't know that, especially with your super thin Macbook. Why do you think higher end desktop PC's need so much cooling? To have some nice background noise when you're computing?

according to links from that article the leaks are saying the macpro will exist as it is for one more round of updates but also side by side w/release of some kind of scaled up M-series Cube pro model which i think is a good idea and probably a good solution for a lot of people.
for me a more robust mac mini would probably meet my needs.. more ram more CPU and i'd be good i think w/what i do.

so, show me the Mac mini on steroids and the M-series Cube!

i suspect the global slow down of chip manufacturing and demand/shortages are forcing apple to make some adjustments to the timeline..

regardless.. i have plenty of popcorn to sit and munch while development unfolds and my (knock wood) laptop is doing fine and running the show over here so i'm content to wait as long as possible for it all to pan out however it's gonna pan out.

I await the day when I'll say 'SHOULDA WAITED FOR THE NEXT GEN ARM CHIP!' It will come, but right now my M1 Mini is performing beautifully with Logic and almost all of my non-native plugins. I have to upgrade Kontakt 5 to 6 and I'll have everything running that I had on my iMac, except the Mini handles Logic better.
BTW, the fan on my 27" iMac has never once interrupted a recording session. It only starts to crank when I play Civ VI, which, on the M1, is vastly superior. So it was the GPU that made that happen.
My point: for my needs, and for the two apps I use the most, Logic and Civ, the M1 with 16gb RAM/1 TB storage is just fine. I don't need the grunt power of the M2 or M1X, or whatever it will be. Add a nice 32" LG Ultrafine 4k monitor, and I have everything I need.
We bought 2 computers this year, one for my wife, one for me. With two new monitors and two Applecares, I've paid less than I did for the iMac.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I also don't need to spend €15,000 on a Mac Pro, Xeon or not.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

UltraJv wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:37 pm
Passing Bye wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:33 pm There's no mention of Intel either in Mac Pro's, it's just rumors at this point, but whatever it is, they will cash in as always.
Anyone who has been waiting for M1X and pro models will be shocked. What of the ARM investment that people have made? This rumour has good weight. Will Apple make out of this? They might lose instead as the taunting of Intel seems to have been premature. Its a backtrack.
What taunting of Intel? "We have more fantastic Intel Mac products on the way and will support them for many years to come" -Tim Cook. We haven't even reached the 1 year mark yet from the first Apple silicon releases and somehow it's already doom and gloom? Maybe wait until the proposed 2 year transition period is over before baselessly suggesting they're backtracking. So much impatient FUD, in the midst of a global manufacturing and chip shortage no less.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”