Windows 11 drivers for audio interfaces

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mr_meee wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:04 pm I came into this forum section expecting a topic like this, and it still amazes me how some people are naive when it comes to swap instantly into a new operative system just due to the looks, without any ensurance or even solid reviews into its advantages over proven ground.
And I'm still amazed there are still anti Microsoft warriors lurking in every forum, just waiting for a Windows thread to crash. They are very few, but they sound a lot. If you don't like Windows (or Microsoft), that's fine, don't use it. Just let people use whatever they want, and accept that some (probably most) people might not experience the problem being reported in the wild. Based on the millions of people who probably jumps on early on Windows release, the percentage of people who actually have trouble is very low.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:21 pm
Mr_meee wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:04 pm I came into this forum section expecting a topic like this, and it still amazes me how some people are naive when it comes to swap instantly into a new operative system just due to the looks, without any ensurance or even solid reviews into its advantages over proven ground.
And I'm still amazed there are still anti Microsoft warriors lurking in every forum, just waiting for a Windows thread to crash. They are very few, but they sound a lot. If you don't like Windows (or Microsoft), that's fine, don't use it. Just let people use whatever they want, and accept that some (probably most) people might not experience the problem being reported in the wild. Based on the millions of people who probably jumps on early on Windows release, the percentage of people who actually have trouble is very low.
I am not a Microsoft Hater, where did you got that idea from?

Just because i say you people are naive for migrating OS in day one, that doesnt make me an hater of anything.

I just stated the obvious

Anyone who owns hardware, software licenses, anyone who understands how drivers work, how they are usually OS locked, how some of them become even discontinued and not even officially updated anymore, those people who understand that, wont be migrating into a new operative system strait away.

Everyone learns eventually, you should take this opportunity.

If it was a new OS, I'd agree, but it's not. The changes are mostly cosmetic, although reading some of the dumbass things they have removed, like calendar integration and accessing Task Manager from the Taskbar, I am even more convinced that I will be sticking with Windows 10 for a while yet. But I would absolutely expect that all my drivers would still work, it's just Windows 11 itself I don't want to deal with.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Dasheesh wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:06 pmIt's also the biggest piece of spyware since google it'self.
Don't be ridiculous. Why do you think Windows collects data? What do you think they do with it?

Here's the reality of the situation. Firstly, Microsoft collects anonymous usage data that they use to see how we all interact with Windows. They can analyse that data and work out how to make Windows better for everyone. It's a good thing and if you opt out of it, which you are free to do, then you can't complain if the next version of Windows makes your life worse.

Then there is other personal data that is very definitely identifiable to individual users. That's the stuff you should be concerned about and should make an effort find out how it is being used. I'll save you the trouble - they collect your data so that you can access it anywhere, at any time, on any device. How else could they let you start watching a video on your phone and finish watching it on your laptop? How else could they automatically access your passwords so you can sign in anywhere, on any machine, and get all your settings, all your passwords, etc., without having to carry them all around in a notepad? To put it simply - they collect and store your data, with your permission, to make your life easier. Nothing more. And do you know what? It's f**king awesome!
Hearing more about the latest versions of linux, but I have NO IDEA what I'm doing with that, and dont want to spend my time looking for "options" to get simple tasks done. Still, good chance we will all be going linux soon as a whole.
Who would want to go to Linux, especially if they are not storing your data for you? It would be like stepping back to 2010. No thank you. I'd be far more likely to move to macOS.
Mr_meee wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:04 pmAnd really, are you people surprised there are not yet drivers working?
I would be if that was the case but I doubt it is. Sure, somebody had an issue but I'll guarantee if he reinstalled the current driver, the problem would go away. In fact, I'll be very surprised if anyone even bothers making new drivers for Windows 11. I reckon they will just take the current driver and change the name from "10" to "11" because that is almost certainly all it needs.
Again, super naive, specially considering any responsible producer or engineer wont change its workstation environment just because a new OS came out
Right, because they all have IT qualifications and know more than we do about it. NOT.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:31 am If it was a new OS, I'd agree, but it's not. The changes are mostly cosmetic, although reading some of the dumbass things they have removed, like calendar integration and accessing Task Manager from the Taskbar, I am even more convinced that I will be sticking with Windows 10 for a while yet. But I would absolutely expect that all my drivers would still work, it's just Windows 11 itself I don't want to deal with.
You seem to not understand how drivers work:

So let me explain to you, when you install a driver, normally you have some parts of the code that specifically limit the operative systems you can install them.

For instance, i had in the past old hardware that it was locked to be used till Windows Vista, and when i installed Windows 7, which was not an entirely new OS as well, but an improvement the drivers wouldnt work.

But why is that? is it because of the windows? No, its how those drivers were written, nothing to do With Microsoft.

And then i had to search on the internet how to install and till this very day, the only way of install the drivers of the hardware i still own, is to modify the installer code manually.

Now, you can claim...

"oh but the OS is the saame, and its only a cosmetic difference"

That only gives me more motives to tell you to not change it, because there are multiple ways you can customize the current Windows 10 without having to mess with your installed Hardware and software.

And the main issue here is purely the compatibility, and instability people may face when into a new operative system... that you may consider not entirely new, but the regardless your opinion, it may conflict with how things work and how you can make use of your own tools.

So my advice is very simply, for anyone that takes their audio projects seriously, unless absolutely needed, dont rush into Windows 11, give it some time, at least a year.

Than you can safely transition, and i would still recomend people to search for drivers of specific hardware before making the move, as well as investigating if their licensed products are working fine, and so on.

Only someone who is careless or dont really fear to not having their tools working would move in the blind.

Professionals dont do that, if you want to be a professional or taken seriously, you shouldnt do it as well!

I did the upgrade yesterday, and got two errors for missing dll's. I copied them from my "Windows.old" System32 folder to the new System32 folder. Nothing driver related though.
Windows 11 works just as good as Windows 10. My Audient ID14 Mk2 works too, same driver as in Windows 10.
One main difference I noticed that my hardware ( X570/ 5900x ) runs cooler with Windows 11.
I guess its already more optimized.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=571487
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

t3toooo wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:15 am I did the upgrade yesterday, and got two errors for missing dll's. I copied them from my "Windows.old" System32 folder to the new System32 folder. Nothing driver related though.
Windows 11 works just as good as Windows 10. My Audient ID14 Mk2 works too, same driver as in Windows 10.
One main difference I noticed that my hardware ( X570/ 5900x ) runs cooler with Windows 11.
I guess its already more optimized

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=571487
You mean at idle temperatures ? What does your 5900X run idle ? You air or water cooling ?

Interesting that it would run cooler.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

No bigger problems so far with Win11. It is very stable. I installed it on my gaming PC. I must note here that there is no exotic hardware inside of it (just a crappy SoundBlaster Z and a common AMD graphcs card).

I am not sure how things are on the driver's side. Win11 seems to demand signed drivers. My guess is that older and exotic audio devices with unsigned drivers might not longer work.
That's why my studio PC will remain on Win10.

Mr_meee wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:59 amSo let me explain to you, when you install a driver, normally you have some parts of the code that specifically limit the operative systems you can install them.
Whilst that is something that can be included in a driver installer, it is not something that needs to be there and even though you may get a warning that it's an unsupported OS, most of the time it will install and run perfectly well. And Windows 11 may not even let on that it's a different version, just as Windows 10 21H2 is seen like any other version of Windows 10, even though it's newer and different.
So my advice is very simply, for anyone that takes their audio projects seriously, unless absolutely needed, dont rush into Windows 11, give it some time, at least a year.
Dumb advice. This isn't Vista, it's a cosmetic upgrade to Windows 10. Everything is the same. Everything will keep working. As I've said, the most you might have to do is reinstall an existing driver but even that is unlikely. I certainly never had to upgrade any drivers when I started working in Windows 8 or Windows 10 - the old drivers, mostly Win7 but some probably unchanged since XP, that were already installed kept all my peripherals working perfectly. Every single one of them.

I might update my old laptop over the weekend, just to prove how totally unfounded your concerns are.

BONES wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:14 am Dumb advice. This isn't Vista, it's a cosmetic upgrade to Windows 10. Everything is the same. Everything will keep working.
You know what, its great you can garantee that everything will work.

because i have per example a 15 year old Edirol PCR 500 keyboard which i love to use, and i allready had to modify twice its drivers manually to use in Windows 7 and Windows 10.

In Windows 7, i had to change the install code in a notepad, and then manually install it, because it wouldnt work with that version (later roland updated the drivers, but prior to that i had to search in the web how to do it my self).

In Windows 10, this got more complicated, as windows is going towards security, more and more, and that means that indy developed drivers or non-signature drivers can only be installed in specific modes makes the process more complex. (even more since roland discontinued the product and the last drivers compatible are for Windows 8 )

There will be allways a way to go around security, and compatibility issues and eventually make everything work, no one said the contrary, the question is how long people have to wait till someone can go around those issues if they apear.

and obviously, this happened in every operative system transition, its not a novelty
neither my goal here is to advice professionals, since professionals have the same degree of knoledge i have, and therefor, they wont do such stupidy of migrating an OS strait away.

My advice is more oriented towards newcomers, people who are in their learning curve, and might be prone to commit mistakes, such as changing operative system without garantee's their hardware (new or old) will 100% work, and their software as well..

Now, you call me dumb for doing that, well Internet is internet and there will be allways people like in every corner, but...i dont have to argue with you, neither judge your motivations or knoledge, that is not of my concern.

My point here is very clear and certainly many people in this forum shares the same view.

Do whatever you want at your own risk, but dont insult others opinions just because you were entusiast enough to neglect any valuable contents (if any) inside your hard drive out of the need to experiment a new version of the windows.

My view:
Ideally, a music production computer should be a dedicated device. It doesn't need a constant online connection for no reason.
Mine still runs W10 v1607, and I don't see any reason to upgrade the OS.

But OK, if you only have on PC that you use for everything - and you can't help yourself clicking on any suspect link that you see - definitely, keep your OS relatively up-to-date.
PS. send me $1000 and I'll send you back $10,000. Don't hesitate! Offer expires today. :D

That aside, why upgrade to W11 now? No really, WHY? There should be a reason for doing something, right, other than boredom...

T-CM11 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:16 pm My view:
Ideally, a music production computer should be a dedicated device. It doesn't need a constant online connection for no reason.
Mine still runs W10 v1607, and I don't see any reason to upgrade the OS.

That aside, why upgrade to W11 now? No really, WHY? There should be a reason for doing something, right, other than boredom...
It all depends on what generation of computer/CPU you have. If you already have a top notch computer, then why should you have a dedicated device? If you have a 5 generation or older computer/CPU, sure, then I understand why it could be important.

Regarding Windows 11, yes, boredom could be pretty close to why I upgraded (I wanted something new and fresh, and felt Windows 11 was a few step closer to that). I was quite sure I wouldn't get into any problems since there is not very much under the hood that actually could become an issue in Windows 11. Steinberg's debug tool even reports my OS as Windows 10 still. Yes, I had some trouble with eLicenser, but I don't think it was due to Windows 11, but rather the upgrade itself, could have happened between 2020H1 and 2020H2 of Windows 10 as well.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:30 pm It all depends on what generation of computer/CPU you have. If you already have a top notch computer, then why should you have a dedicated device? If you have a 5 generation or older computer/CPU, sure, then I understand why it could be important.
An analogy: my Android phone sometimes crashes - it doesn't happen often, far from it - but it happens...
I've never had a non-smartphone that did that. For the purpose of making / receiving phone calls, those dedicated devices were just *better*.
I'm pretty good at troubleshooting software/hardware... but I never need to do that for my studio PC.

Besides the cost, there's nothing wrong with redundancy. 1 PC fails = no PC left.

Turns out there is an issue with Ryzen 5000 CPUs and L2 cache , probably why that guys system was running cooler as it wasn't running hard at all.

A hot fix is on the way. Lots of people running it without issue , but equally many having issues . Ryzen 5000 users I'd wait for a few hotfixes .
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

LeVzi wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:51 pm Turns out there is an issue with Ryzen 5000 CPUs and L2 cache ....
L3 cache apparently :wink:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-windows-11-slows-cpus-up-to-15-patch-coming wrote: AMD says it expects a Windows update to resolve the L3 cache issues, while a software update will remediate the problem with the UEFI CPPC2 preferred core technology. Both are expected to arrive this month. We'll update you as we learn more.
  • Measured and functional L3 cache latency may increase by ~3X.
  • Applications sensitive to memory subsystem access time may be impacted.
  • Expected performance impact of 3-5% in affected applications, 10-15% outliers possible in games commonly used for eSports.
  • UEFI CPPC2 (“preferred core”) may not preferentially schedule threads on a processor’s fastest core.
  • Applications sensitive to the performance of one or a few CPU threads may exhibit reduced performance.
  • Performance impact may be more detectable in >8-core processors above 65W TDP.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”