MAC vs Windows for production

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
KVRAF
2895 posts since 4 Jan, 2005

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:51 pm

You use Live the DAW or you need a Laptop to use live or Live ? Lolz sorry. MacBooks are great for music . I think Windows PCs are good for audio as well as Linux too and Apple too. I like MacBooks better than Windows Laptops . BUT rather build a PC for Windows or Linux than get a Macmini or iMac .

KVRAF
8268 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:04 pm

Bulbizarre wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:01 am
All in the title ! Anyone using MAC here ? How do you feel about a switch from Windows to MAC ? I heard it's more practical to manage projects and tidy things up on MAC.
Also I find it interesting to have a computer dedicated to production in order to avoid distraction (which I'm terrible at), for some random reason it looks like so many people use a MAC for this. I'm a Live user.
Some people need a switch to make money, or retain sanity.
Too many variables and use cases to worry about anyone elses opinion.
Shop wisely, trade for used stuff, and have it all :hyper:
My instrumental music is now on Spotify and the other streaming sites that Distrokid supplies, search Franklin Cheney, the song titles and cover art might offer a content clue, peace, energy, romantic, fun etc
Cheers

GRRRRRRR!
12577 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:44 pm

Bulbizarre wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:01 am
All in the title ! Anyone using MAC here ? How do you feel about a switch from Windows to MAC ? I heard it's more practical to manage projects and tidy things up on MAC.
Also I find it interesting to have a computer dedicated to production in order to avoid distraction (which I'm terrible at), for some random reason it looks like so many people use a MAC for this. I'm a Live user.
As someone who has worked on both Mac and PC equally over the last 20 years or so, the best things I can tell you is that I have only ever owned PCs for my own, personal use and that the company I work for moved from Mac to PC last year, after more than 20 years of being exclusively on Mac.

Why? For myself, it's how little control you get over a Mac. Everything is set-up for what Apple thinks you need, not necessarily for what you actually need. e.g. They optimise their graphics for multiple monitors, rather than for ultimate power, so anything that's GPU accelerated isn't going to perform as well.

Then have a look at how little Apple gives a shit about their customers. The minute USB Type C came out, they stopped putting any USB Type A ports on their laptops, forcing you to buy new cables or adapters for all your existing peripherals. And they dropped 32 bit support altogether a couple of OS versions ago, so any 32 bit software you may have relied on suddenly didn't work after the update. Now they are moving over to a whole new architecture that requires every software vendor who makes products for Mac to create new, compatible versions of everything. To be fair, they do have Rosetta in the new OS to do the translating for you if something you need hasn't been updated yet. It seems to work very well but you have to know they'll drop it as soon as it becomes even a slight burden on them. You can read on these forums how many people have been whining about native M1 support. Now, maybe these specific things don't worry you but they demonstrate the risk you are taking by going with a Mac.

By comparison, every software application I had on Windows 98SE still installs and runs on Windows 10, 23 years later and without any updates being required. That's the kind of reliability you can count on because Microsoft understand that their users expect exactly that.

I've never found any of the Macs I've worked on to be any less prone to crashing. In fact, until recently they crashed a lot more. These days I'd say they were about the same in that regard. There are a few things I like about macOS but nothing significant enough to put up wit hall the things I don't like. Windows also has good and bad, of course, but overall I find Windows a lot easier to live with, day to day. I also like that I can buy any computer I want to run it on. I can choose the number and types of ports I get and everything else. I've owned 9 or 10 laptops over the last 15 years and they've been from 6 different vendors. You gotta love choice, don't you?
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10(64), Evo8 | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

KVRian
1173 posts since 23 Sep, 2004 from Kocmoc

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:52 am

Both can be used just okay if you dont care much about whats what. Been there, done that. Using 2013 built PC atm. (running bit out of power though already) I dont care on which platform you succeed, just succeed on whats best for you :)
Soft Knees - Demoscene - Live 10 - Diva - Omnisphere - Slate Digital VSX - TDR - Kush Audio - Fabfilter - PA - Valhalla - Fuse - Pulsar - NI - OekSound etc...

KVRist
30 posts since 28 Aug, 2021

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:55 am

This kind of thread never ends well and honestly no one can give you a definitive answer for it. Everyone has their preference, I myself use both Mac and Windows PC both are great if you know what you are doing. I don't understand your distraction part. what kind of distraction you were talking about? and why does Windows and Mac systems would have anything to do with it?

KVRAF
7262 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:21 am

Another Mac and PC user here (writing from my Windows 10 computer). For the longest time, I was PC-only, then started using Macs for personal work and photo/video editing about 10 years ago. Slowly started experimenting with Logic and some other DAWs on my MacBook Air then MacBook Pro. All this while I was primarily using Windows 7 for music. Windows never worked very well for me with photos/video, while my Mac handled it flawlessly. Over time, I started realizing that I spent almost no time on maintenance or troubleshooting my Mac, but wasting far too much time doing that on my PCs and dealing with constant crashes, antivirus software headaches, etc, especially once I made the downgrade to W10, so I decided to go full Mac for music a few years ago and haven't been happier. I still use my PCs for work and some tasks, but I'm just much happier with my Mac for music, despite all the Apple shortcomings mentioned herein (and, yes, some of them are annoying af). As for the OP's question, neither is perfect, so go with your personal preference and get the best spec'ed computer you can afford.

KVRAF
9184 posts since 3 Feb, 2003 from Finland, Espoo

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:00 pm

I've been mostly a PC (DOS in the old days)/Windows user my whole life but I did just recently get the Mac M1 Mini. Why? Simply due to cost vs performance.

There wasn't anything that came close to the Mac M1 in terms of pure performance per watt to the bang for the buck, at least nothing I was aware of. I also purposefully sabotaged myself, forcing me not to install tons of plugins and only stick to M1 Native stuff. So far this has been a very liberating experience, even though I admit, GAS still hits hard and I keep asking developers when a native M1 arm version is coming out! Yeah, it's an illness that I definitely suffer from. :hihi:

Another reason has been that I absolutely loathe Windows 10. I just can't stand the seemingly random forced updates. I'm sure there is a way to hack around that but I'm too grumpy and old to care about that any longer.. so I went Mac.

Having said that: At the studio I'm still running an Intel based PC with Windows 7 and it still kicks ass! Won't change it until I absolutely have to.

In short: I suggest going with whatever gives you the best bang for your buck (taking into account usability and enjoyment too!).
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

KVRist
359 posts since 17 Sep, 2020

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:45 pm

Mac obviously... Wait, maybe PC.

KVRian
889 posts since 29 Oct, 2015 from Jupiter 8

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:53 pm

Another reason has been that I absolutely loathe Windows 10. I just can't stand the seemingly random forced updates. I'm sure there is a way to hack around that but I'm too grumpy and old to care about that any longer.. so I went Mac.
How forced are these?
I'm rarely online with my DAW, but does Win10 refuse to work if updates were detected, but not installed, because of an extremely poor internet connection?
There's no Logic to Windows

KVRAF
29978 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:05 pm

It doesn't refuse to work. But, I don't see any compelling reason not to update your computer. It's more secure (Ok, maybe neglectable when you use your computer responsibly), and, some newer software is also only tested on newer version of Windows 10 (Cubase, for example, lists Windows 10 1909 as a minimum system requirement, which is the Autumn 2019 update). There's also (obviously) been improvements which each of the big updates, for example, the settings dialog is almost completely migrated from the control panel now.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRian
889 posts since 29 Oct, 2015 from Jupiter 8

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:10 pm

yes, i wouldn't mind if it installed it automatically, but in my case it would probably require a week for something like a 200MB update.
There's no Logic to Windows

KVRAF
29978 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:13 pm

Aw, ok. That's definitely a reason not to update then. :)
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRian
921 posts since 6 Jun, 2016 from San Marcos, Texas

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:58 pm

comuter-updates_meme.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRAF
2895 posts since 4 Jan, 2005

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:07 pm

Mac uh your model is at the end of it's cycle you can't get the new shiny update that slows your sheet down .

GRRRRRRR!
12577 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:32 pm

cryophonik wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:21 am
Over time, I started realizing that I spent almost no time on maintenance or troubleshooting my Mac, but wasting far too much time doing that on my PCs and dealing with constant crashes, antivirus software headaches, etc, especially once I made the downgrade to W10, so I decided to go full Mac for music a few years ago and haven't been happier.
My experience is diametrically opposite to yours. The last time Windows crashed on me was in 2003. Studio One crashed on me in the first few weeks I started using it, which is almost exactly a year ago now. I have not had any application crash since (and the crash before that would have been several years earlier). OTOH, I don't recall a week at work without an application crash and it was only maybe 6 or 7 years ago that most application crashes would drag the whole system down with them. Apple seemed to sort that out eventually, though.

Do you have anti-virus software on your Mac? I reckon that's probably the difference - I have never installed any anti-virus on any PC I have ever owned. I rely entirely on Microsoft's built-in protection and I've never had even the slightest problem. Anti-virus software is just shit. All of it.
bmanic wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:00 pm
I just can't stand the seemingly random forced updates.
1. Random how?
2. What's the problem with them? I get updates on a very regular basis, mostly virus definition updates, and they just happen without me even being aware of it until the Restart icon pops up in my system tray. Even then, I keep working until I'm done for the day and let it update when I'm ready to shut down. It requires zero effort on my part and it never interferes with what I'm doing. And if there is some bizarre situation which means I don't want it to update, I can pause updates easily. I wish updating everything was this easy.
Having said that: At the studio I'm still running an Intel based PC with Windows 7 and it still kicks ass! Won't change it until I absolutely have to.
Funny, I can think of at least two occasions when Win7 f**ked me over by restating when I was in the middle of doing something. No other version of Windows ever did that. I still rate 7 as the worst version of Windows I ever used.
FapFilter wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:53 pm
How forced are these?
I'm rarely online with my DAW, but does Win10 refuse to work if updates were detected, but not installed, because of an extremely poor internet connection?
They just happen in the background while you work. They cause absolutely zero disruption. You can tell it when it's OK to install them if you like - mine knows that it is not OK to restart between 9am and 1am - and it won't care if it can't get an update, it will just put it off and try again later. Sometimes when I go and check, there can be several updates waiting but if I didn't check, I wouldn't know.
FapFilter wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:10 pm
yes, i wouldn't mind if it installed it automatically, but in my case it would probably require a week for something like a 200MB update.
200MB is like one minute on 4G. Tether your computer to your phone, set off the updates, go and make coffee and when you come back, it will be done.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10(64), Evo8 | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”