Macbook Pro M1, Air M1, Macbook Pro or Macbook Air?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've configured two M1 Minis for music production. No monitor issues, very few plugin issues. Almost all of my software resurrected on the M1s, the stuff that didn't wasa couple of Waves plugs and Garritan orchestra, which I stopped using 10 years ago anyway. Can't speak to any other DAWs, but Logic is steady as a rock and fast as f*** in native mode. Imo, buying an Intel machine at this point would be short-sighted, but whatever works for you.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I've been using an M1 MBA for over a year now with Reason 11 and 12 without any major issues. I love having the fanless design, compared to the jet engine that was my former 2015 15" MBP!

waxtrax wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:24 pm I've been using an M1 MBA for over a year now with Reason 11 and 12 without any major issues. I love having the fanless design, compared to the jet engine that was my former 2015 15" MBP!
In retrospect I should’ve gotten an MBA. The fan in my MBP hasn’t kicked in once over the past 6 months, no matter how hard I push it. It seems like the start/stop nature of music software without much GPU usage doesn’t really heat it up enough to need it.

Tronam wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:49 pm
waxtrax wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:24 pm I've been using an M1 MBA for over a year now with Reason 11 and 12 without any major issues. I love having the fanless design, compared to the jet engine that was my former 2015 15" MBP!
In retrospect I should’ve gotten an MBA. The fan in my MBP hasn’t kicked in once over the past 6 months, no matter how hard I push it. It seems like the start/stop nature of music software without much GPU usage doesn’t really heat it up enough to need it.
It certainly depends on the software. I’ve heard the M1 MBP‘s fan quite often while using Native Instruments tools. Still, no comparison to older Intel Macs :)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”