Apple announce new 14" & 16" MBP with M1Pro and M1Max

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
medienhexer
KVRian
1035 posts since 16 May, 2007 from At home. Good bye city ways!

Post Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:57 am

el davo wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:27 am
Ableton shows poor performance on Apple silicon as of yet. This benchmark compared the track count for a grand piano plug (apparently representative of other cpu demanding plugs including 3rd party):

M1 8 GB Ram: 12 tracks
M1 pro 16 GB: 32 tracks
i9 3.6GHz, 64 GB: 200+ tracks (at least>160, video ending was botched)

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://youtu.be/FHxBS0fo5WQ</span>
With sample instruments as the measure for performance, it would be important to see how much RAM is being used. If the 8/16 GB are spent when the CPU limit is reached, it might be an unfair comparison due to memory swapping and compression going on in the background. But yes, that still looks very inefficient at face value
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Tronam
KVRAF
1926 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from Seattle, WA - USA

Post Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:13 am

.jon wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:28 am
One more advantage of the 16" model is that it seems to handle heat much, much better than the smaller chassis, resulting in a quieter computer. I would recommend anyone who does not need to max portability to consider the 16" model for audio work for this reason alone- the practical difference is that under the same load, the 16" is quiet at fans off or at minimum throttle, when the 14" runs fans at 4.5K rpm. At least for me this seals the deal.
It’s true that the 14” will run its fans at a higher RPM than the 16” with synthetic benchmarks that saturate 100% of the CPU/GPU cores, but that fact can be a little misleading depending on the context. You’ll never hear them in music production because they’ll either be completely off or at idle. These fan systems are also considerably quieter than past Intel MacBooks. I’ve only heard the fans turn on twice in 10 months on my M1 MBP and both were after playing WoW for 30+min, never while running DAWs.

el davo
KVRist
272 posts since 20 Feb, 2005

Post Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:55 pm

medienhexer wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:57 am
el davo wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:27 am
Ableton shows poor performance on Apple silicon as of yet. This benchmark compared the track count for a grand piano plug (apparently representative of other cpu demanding plugs including 3rd party):

M1 8 GB Ram: 12 tracks
M1 pro 16 GB: 32 tracks
i9 3.6GHz, 64 GB: 200+ tracks (at least>160, video ending was botched)

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://youtu.be/FHxBS0fo5WQ</span>
With sample instruments as the measure for performance, it would be important to see how much RAM is being used. If the 8/16 GB are spent when the CPU limit is reached, it might be an unfair comparison due to memory swapping and compression going on in the background. But yes, that still looks very inefficient at face value
I just tried the same benchmark on my Macbook Pro 2013, 16 Gb RAM, 2.3 GHz i7.
27 tracks. Ableton used 3.33 Gb RAM at that point, so I don't think RAM constraints is the answer here. I love Logic, but was really hoping to be able to get more omph in Ableton too.

.jon
KVRAF
5769 posts since 9 Jul, 2002 from Helsinki

Post Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:01 pm

Excellent info, Tronam! To be honest my DAW projects aren't even pushing the limits of my prehistoric i5 2500K, so fan noise on these monsters probably isn't something I should worry about :D

pdxindy
KVRAF
20896 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:56 pm

My 16" M1 Pro MBP arrived today.

First thing... I installed Bitwig and have it running and the laptop is cool. My current one would already be hot and the fan would be on low. Sweet!

The screen is gorgeous. Been some complaints about the notch, but it makes more screen space so I'm happy about it. Visually I hardly notice it.

I never much liked the touch bar, but now I am kinda missing it as I try to do stuff with it and it isn't there. Never thought I would think that. Ha!

Tronam
KVRAF

Post Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:16 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:56 pm
My 16" M1 Pro MBP arrived today.

First thing... I installed Bitwig and have it running and the laptop is cool. My current one would already be hot and the fan would be on low. Sweet!

The screen is gorgeous. Been some complaints about the notch, but it makes more screen space so I'm happy about it. Visually I hardly notice it.

I never much liked the touch bar, but now I am kinda missing it as I try to do stuff with it and it isn't there. Never thought I would think that. Ha!
I also miss it for the predictive autofill in text fields. It had some other handy features like the side-by-side dual brightness sliders for internal and external displays.

I think you chose the right sweet spot model for music production. I'm having a little bit of order regret over going full M1 Max since it's unlikely I'll even use the extra GPU cores very often.

pdxindy
KVRAF

Post Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:25 am

Tronam wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:16 pm
I think you chose the right sweet spot model for music production. I'm having a little bit of order regret over going full M1 Max since it's unlikely I'll even use the extra GPU cores very often.
Yeah... I agree that is the best option for music. I do wish I had ordered the 4TB drive instead of 2. I have the 2 on my old laptop and have never run out of space and I hardly use any sample libraries, so 2 will be fine... but why not get 4 just in case.

I ran Bitwig for about 45 minutes last night using Bazille and Hive and pushing the CPU a bit... my old laptop would have been super hot with fans on within 5 minutes at most. The new laptop was still cool and quiet. I am really pleased about that!

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
9232 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:40 am

Does anyone ever get issues with installers not working? Maybe I'm doing things wrong (this is my first Mac) but I'll do something simple like:

1. Go to the AudioThings website
2. Download a bunch of the .dmg files
3. Open Finder, Downloads folder
4. Double click the .dmg files
5. Double click the .pkg file for the installer
6. Run the installer
7. Get to the step where the actual "Install" button is - Click it

Expected Result: It asks for my fingerprint (God this is annoying) and/or password then installs.

Actual Result: every now, after doing lots of installs, clicking install will do nothing. No prompt for my password or fingerprint. Even trying to Go Back or closing and launching a completely different installer does nothing. Once it happens, the only solution I've found so far is to restart.

pdxindy
KVRAF

Post Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:00 am

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:40 am
Actual Result: every now, after doing lots of installs, clicking install will do nothing. No prompt for my password or fingerprint. Even trying to Go Back or closing and launching a completely different installer does nothing. Once it happens, the only solution I've found so far is to restart.
Haven't had that happen... I've been installing a bunch of stuff since yesterday and it is all going smoothly.

Tronam
KVRAF

Post Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:02 am

I don't remember the last time I've had an installer do nothing, but sometimes a prompt window can be obscured by another or if the correct field isn't selected TouchID won't activate. Mission Control (F3 key or Control-up arrow) is really handy for quickly seeing an overview of all open windows, including any hiding behind the current one which is typically tied to the active application. Every once in a while you may run across an installer that either isn't properly signed or their certificate has expired, so you may need to right-click the executable and choose Open in the context menu to force it. The requirement for password/touchID for application installers is a major component of the OS security and I'm not aware of a way to disable it.

pdxindy
KVRAF

Post Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:14 am

Tronam wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:02 am
The requirement for password/touchID for application installers is a major component of the OS security and I'm not aware of a way to disable it.
It would be handy though, if I input the password/touchID once, that I didn't have to do it again 45 seconds later.

btw... the new screen on the 16" is excellent... quite impressive

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
9232 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:39 am

Thanks for the tips.

I just updated Monterey to the .01 update. Maybe that'll do the trick. Otherwise, I'll definitely be referencing Tronam's post.

I'm not saying Apple needs to entirely do away with password/TouchID on install, but yeah, when you're just running 50 installers basically back to back, it gets very tedious. Would be nice if there was a "don't ask again for the next hour" option or something. Might it make things a teensy bit less secure? Maybe. Would be a much better experience though.
pdxindy wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:14 am
btw... the new screen on the 16" is excellent... quite impressive
Really incredible. It looks like my OLED TV (or damn near) in terms of black levels, but with much better brightness and pixel density.

rezoneight
KVRian
635 posts since 18 Feb, 2004

Post Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:44 pm

And like color rendition, etc ;)

rezoneight
KVRian
635 posts since 18 Feb, 2004

Post Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:45 pm

The password thing is pretty much due to the Unix underbelly of macOS. Also depends on where the installer is installing to. Its annoying but I'd rather have the security personally. Especially with touch ID when its simply a matter of using your finger vs typing a password.

Download SOphist
KVRAF
3926 posts since 26 Jan, 2006 from :noitacoL

Post Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:55 pm

Help me out, please. Haven't gone thorough this thread and I'm not a tech savvy guy.

Would it be better to skip the base 8 core M1Pro model and go for a 10 Core model? Not that i need it for my actual musical purposes, but thinking more of future proofing.

I can't afford the 530 extra usd the 32 GB of Ram would cost me here and i have no particular interest in 1 Tb of storage, so my main option for upgrading would be to spend 230 eur on the 10 core chip. But it would also delay the delivery by one month... questions, questions...

thanks,
Miguel.
member of the guid of professional dilettantes.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”