Apple announce new 14" & 16" MBP with M1Pro and M1Max

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Pro and Max, thx. The 24“ iMac failed to impress. I have the 16gb/1tb mini. Works great with Logic.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

I am a long time macos user. Really switched 2005 with the intel transition, before used Windows for over a decade. Had a lot of Apple computers, but almost all at some point started to have hardware issues, and due Apple's annoying price and repair politics, the repair was more expensive than buying a working used device again - what a waste of resources! After my pretty expensive 2600 eur imac completely was ruined due Apple's repair politics (it had a short on the firewire port, so the main fuse simply was destroyed, which I found out much later, watching Lious Rossmann's videos. But apple wanted to charge me 900+ eur for replacing the fuse, more than the device was worth back then), I switched to hackintosh for almost a decade, swearing not to buy any apple macos hardware ever again (did not regret this at all, best macos workstation ever).

Finally Apple now presented a quite good pro device with the recent new macbook pro 14/16 line. If they now make the ssd replacable again and remove the notch, I would say it is the perfect mobile working machine. Still then, a typical Apple move, two things annoy me already:

1. The notch. It is not the end of the world. Screen space still is fine without the extra space on top. But rumors now say, that the M2 generation won't have a notch. So why they added this? I tell you why: They want to have a contrast to the upcoming generation. They degrade the usability by purpose all the time. And again what a superior nonsense to fix the software to work better with such a special case hardware. Seen already with the useless touchbar. Developers now again have to adapt to this hardwarte edge case. Which then will be removed in one year.

2. The real annoyance for me though is Big Sur. I know macos quite well, how it's technically structured and how it evolved. Since 5 years I see a pretty bad development here. Instead really improving the os, they turn it into bloatware, and crippleware only fitting their recent models and locking in the user into their dictatorship.

The top menu bar now is such big. What a waste of space, and this only to better fit with their notch hardware. You can't make it small like before anymore. Why are they constantly ruin things that were good in macos before? Then a lot of apps now also have this ridiculous huge top bar. For example Safari (and Firefox, too, following really nonsense Apple design ideas) is now degraded in usability. I work a lot with browser tabs all day and now it's quite a mess. They did not even save pixelspace. They wasted pixelspace + degraded usability + readability. Only to fit the design the big menu bar, which again is only big because of notch hardware. What a total nonsense way to decide design... If Apple had introduced screen touch, ok then big top bars would make sense somehow. But then please optional! Apple though refuses to add touch. Since you should buy an ipad then...

Then they removed a lot of custom virtual resolutions. You can't opt-click "scaled resolution" in monitor settings anymore to get a detailed list of additional resolutions. They removed that. Instead on the new macbook pros, you only have one single upscaled resolution. Pretty sure they only added this again to somehow degrade the usability by purpose. So I can't switch to a 1920++ resolution on the 14 inch model anymore (I can though on my ooold macbook pro 15 2013, which also has a less dense display). Only the 16 inch model has some virtual resolution with 2100++ or so. But then again, why no 2500++ then? Or 2300++?

So I absolutely don't like Big Sur. It looks to me like multiple steps backwards from a professional perspective. It degrades usability, only for idiotic design decisions. And I bet they do this all by purpose. Then they constantly force apple users to follow their annoying every-single-year-a-new-pseudo-macos-version circles. And lock out older systems, even there is nothing new in the os except annoying design ideas. And they also ship silently efi bios updates for all the old models which you can't undo, once flashed. Due all the intel security holes they love to flash your old macbook pro to degrade the cpu and gpu performance by a ton, turning your well working old machine into a paperweight. You do not even need these patches, since only the NSA can use these security holes (they also don't need those to compromise your system). At least Apple should let the user decide if he/she wants the latest intel microcode patches flashed with a ton of performance degradation or not. Latest macos runs fine without any of these hardware flash update. Even Windows only softloads microcode, while in macos, its flashed to the efi, and there is no official documentation how to remove that patch again (also very typical for apple, lack of documentation for 3rd party).

Maybe I will wait another bunch of years then...

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:39 amFinally Apple now presented a quite good pro device with the recent new macbook pro 14/16 line. If they now make the ssd replacable again and remove the notch, I would say it is the perfect mobile working machine. Still then, a typical Apple move, two things annoy me already:

1. The notch. It is not the end of the world.
OMG... the notch is nothing. I never even notice it and it is not a bother in the slightest. It is just something for OCD types to obsess over.

The screen is awesome... the keyboard is quiet and feels good to type on... I still have not heard any fan noise and even when I push it at most it gets a bit warm. Plus Mag-safe is back! yay!

It's the best freakin laptop I ever had.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:39 amThen they removed a lot of custom virtual resolutions. You can't opt-click "scaled resolution" in monitor settings anymore to get a detailed list of additional resolutions. They removed that. Instead on the new macbook pros, you only have one single upscaled resolution. Pretty sure they only added this again to somehow degrade the usability by purpose. So I can't switch to a 1920++ resolution on the 14 inch model anymore (I can though on my ooold macbook pro 15 2013, which also has a less dense display). Only the 16 inch model has some virtual resolution with 2100++ or so. But then again, why no 2500++ then? Or 2300++?
You can, though, on external monitors where it actually makes sense... Never even tried this on the built in screen because I never felt the need to.
Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 15.51.32.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sQeetz on Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
void main(dumb)

[edit] quoted myself again instead of editing :dog:
void main(dumb)

[edit] I'm dumb
void main(dumb)

sQeetz wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:01 pm [edit] I'm dumb
We've all done it from time to time :hihi:

i've been using this macbook for about 3 hours now and i only just realised the notch :P

notch very much of a problem.

Dark mode is pretty fecking dark on these new macbooks :D

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”