Windows instead of Mac for near future ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

audiojunkie wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:28 pm It's up to you. Mac, Windows, Linux, or iPad are all legitimate operating systems for making music on these days. Each OS has its pros and cons. Macs are expensive and very proprietary (You get what you get, and don't throw a fit), but they are easy and just plain work. Windows is for generalists--most of the software is here and the operating system is functional, but not very flexible. Linux is for those who like the added efficiency, configurability and flexibility at the cost of a bit more learning curve. You can pretty much have everything exactly how you want it. iPads are for those who want to be extremely mobile. All have sufficient software and support to have a pro set up.
That pretty much sums it up! I use a PC, an iPad and a a Pi with a custom Linux version for audio (Patchbox OS) for the reasons given.

Only reason I use PC over MAC is I like to just buy a case and build my own PC that works for audio...cheaper and more suited to what I need plus I can just update/fix the parts as required.
If I was making music on a laptop exclusively I would definitely consider a Macbook.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

T-CM11 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:30 pm
Passing Bye wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:26 pm Dude, I'm literally using 10 years old PC with Linux Mint on it, advised guy to stick with Windows, but whatever. :lol: 8)
You don't want to be TOO obvious about it, I get it. :D
Yeah, that's why I post mostly about Windows builds and in Linux threads, sorry for being posting in M1 related ones too, thing is I'm really open minded about such things as computer and OS for music production, maybe this will freak some of you out, but I'm not religious about it.

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:24 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:12 pm
Passing Bye wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:55 pm Apple ecosystem is for folks who are willing to left behind old tech from time to time and embrace changes much faster.
... and live with the cconsequences. ;)

Apart from that, not everything Apple does is a step forward. I know, this company is extremely good in making you think that, and in making any of its users a fan, but, sometimes you really have to keep your eyes open, to avoid getting delusional.
Either way, point is, as a user you need to adopt to change more often and that's it. I'm not user, fan or supporter of Apple, agnostic about such things as OS, computers, vendors and whatever, use whatever makes most sense for my buck and needs.
Yeah. To make it clear: I'm not against change. It's just that Apple is a bit hardcore in terms of bleeding edge, and teaching their users what is good for them. With all the consequences that it brings. Especially for professionals who rely on a working machine.

It would piss me off big time if I couldn't go on using Waldorf Largo, for example. The way it is now, it's not M1 native, nor has it been tested for use with Rosetta2 (as far as I know). I don't know if it's usable under M1 Macs (maybe someone knows). It's that kind of uncertainty which would already put me off from such a adventurous undertaking.

Sometimes I read comparisons with Windows on ARM. It's far from what Apple does really. Microsoft doesn't equip every machine out there with ARM from one day to the other, and tells devs that they all have to develop for ARM now.

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:33 pm Yeah, that's why I post mostly about Windows builds and in Linux threads, sorry for being posting in M1 related ones too, thing is I'm really open minded about such things as computer and OS for music production, maybe this will freak some of you out, but I'm not religious about it.
So... how many Macs have you sold via this forum?

Anyway, enough of this - it was fun (for me). :hyper:
OT: If the question is about adding a Mac (laptop) (not replacing a PC)... then I see only one question: Budget?
I have 2 iPads for music, I use them like hardware synths - but I'd never replace my DAW PC (Windows) with an Apple device, for various reasons (MY reasons).

chk071 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:35 pmIt would piss me off big time if I couldn't go on using Waldorf Largo, for example. The way it is now, it's not M1 native, nor has it been tested for use with Rosetta2 (as far as I know). I don't know if it's usable under M1 Macs (maybe someone knows). It's that kind of uncertainty which would already put me off from such a adventurous undertaking.
Even if Largo works under Rosetta, you can be sure Apple will drop Rosetta in a few years. So unless Largo is updated to work natively with Apple Silicon, it is a goner.

T-CM11 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:48 pm Anyway, enough of this - it was fun (for me). :hyper:
It's fun for you to troll other people who actually genuinely help others on this forum day after day, thanks, glad I helped you too... :wink:

chk071 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:35 pmSometimes I read comparisons with Windows on ARM. It's far from what Apple does really. Microsoft doesn't equip every machine out there with ARM from one day to the other, and tells devs that they all have to develop for ARM now.
Microsoft couldn't do that if they wanted to... they don't make the machines... well, only a small percentage of them.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:22 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:35 pmSometimes I read comparisons with Windows on ARM. It's far from what Apple does really. Microsoft doesn't equip every machine out there with ARM from one day to the other, and tells devs that they all have to develop for ARM now.
Microsoft couldn't do that if they wanted to... they don't make the machines... well, only a small percentage of them.
Yup- Lets not confuse a PC with Microsoft, that just make an OS that can run on a PC

Of course it all could have been very different if IBM had bought DOS rather than licence it (Bill Gates!) and if the IBM PC hadn't been cloned! (history simplified for brevity)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

pdxindy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:22 pm
Microsoft couldn't do that if they wanted to... they don't make the machines...
Thankfully.

Windows 11 already shows sign in that direction... (requirements of TPM 2.0, 8th gen Intel CPU's, or AMD equivalent etc.).

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:18 pm It's fun for you to troll other people who actually genuinely help others on this forum day after day, thanks, glad I helped you too... :wink:
I sincerely apologise if you didn't find my "trolling" amusing.
Most of my posts here are serious and/or helpful, I think. This topic is/was just too much like another "mac vs pc" one... to actually be serious about it, to me.

If you like to know why I singled you out, it was because of this:
Agree, but he will always find something that isn't that will break his world apart, better for him to just continue to use Windows, Apple ecosystem is for folks who are willing to left behind old tech from time to time and embrace changes much faster.
There are multiple reasons for people to buy or "stick with" Apple hardware/software, but I highly doubt that the lesser backwards compatibility is one of them.

The OP is interested in the M1 for mobility reasons. Battery usage is probably the biggest advantage that (newer) Mac laptops have over Windows laptops. But is the absence of a power outlet while making music an often recurring situation? It isn't for me, ever.

chk071 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:44 pm Windows 11 already shows sign in that direction... (requirements of TPM 2.0, 8th gen Intel CPU's, or AMD equivalent etc.).
"easily" circumventable, actually with the "help" of Microsoft themselves.
It also doesn't compare to what Apple is doing. Microsoft's pushing of these requirements doesn't stop old(er) software from working on newer hardware (Apple dropping 32 bit and Rosetta (eventually) does).

True. It's a bit annoying, though, when you can't upgrade your 3 year old computer to Windows 11, just because its CPU is not on Microsoft's awesome list. Yes, you can circumvent that, but, I won't do it, because Microsoft already promised some other snares, like the inability to update unsupported computers. It's really not recommendable, especially when your computer still works fine with Windows 10.

chk071 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:16 pm True. It's a bit annoying, though, when you can't upgrade your 3 year old computer to Windows 11, just because its CPU is not on Microsoft's awesome list. Yes, you can circumvent that, but, I won't do it, because Microsoft already promised some other snares, like the inability to update unsupported computers.
I'm not updating to Windows 11 either, not anytime soon. Mainly because I have no reason to.
At the moment, the refusal to (automatically!!) update unsupported PCs remains nothing more than a Microsoft quote. People that have done so have already received automatic updates.

What did I say wrong, Apple does this, they keep pushing you almost forcedly, so if you want to keep using updated software, you need to be on their train, he was stressing plug-in compatibility, that's not something Apple takes pride in, opposed to system he is using now and which he get used to, eventually he will be forced to drop using some stuff when they get rid of Rosetta 2 support and at that point I have strong feeling he will get more than pissed... know I did before many times, it's mindset you need to adopt, do I really need to move on, should I stop updating or find better ecosystem... Windows is quite good thing in legacy aspect, if that is concern...

T-CM11 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:20 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:16 pm True. It's a bit annoying, though, when you can't upgrade your 3 year old computer to Windows 11, just because its CPU is not on Microsoft's awesome list. Yes, you can circumvent that, but, I won't do it, because Microsoft already promised some other snares, like the inability to update unsupported computers.
I'm not updating to Windows 11 either, not anytime soon. Mainly because I have no reason to.
At the moment, the refusal to (automatically!!) update unsupported PCs remains nothing more than a Microsoft quote. People that have done so have already received automatic updates.
There's only one reason for Windows 11: To further boost the revived laptop and desktop PC market. Thus, Microsoft and the vendors want to make sure that people buy a new computer. I would take Microsoft's promise as serious as the system requirements for Windows 11.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”