B5 V2 CPU Spikes, pops & clicks

Official support for: acousticsamples.net
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wait, note dropouts happen with Reaper's virtual keyboard live, but not during transport playback... OK this might be a GUI thread related thing...

Ok good, you got me worried for a moment ;)
Because this would have been a UVI problem... We don't really handle the CPU usage on the GUI stuff unless they have a heavy function tied to them and it's not the case for most knobs.

thysm00 wrote: You did not tell me anything about the buffer size though.
Yes, I did: 128 samples. :wink:

BTW, I really love E-PIAN :hug:
i7 9700K @ 4.6 GHz - Asus Prime Z390-A - Corsair DDR4 3000 MHz - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB - RME HDSPe AIO + XLR balanced breakout - 2x Iiyama PL2492H - Novation Impulse 61 - Evolution UC-16 - Clavia Nord Lead 2 - Yamaha S80

so what system exactly is needed to run B-5 V2 smoothly whatever it is you're gonna play and regardless of a tempo?

In standalone mode and Reaper.

And how B-5 CPU load varies between these two?

I wanted to get it, but all these reports of spikes and clicks are not very encouraging.

The GUI issue seems to be a separate issue. That's also happening with UVI WS' arpeggio UI and seems not directly related to B5.

However, it seems that MIDI events (note ONs?) produce CPU spikes:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NWyq-B ... sp=sharing

In that demonstration one can see that the "pops" and "clicks" always happen around the same MIDI file positions. I have disabled the plugin UI but left focus on the plugin so you can see that CPU usage on average is around 5%. It's a 4 core (no HT) machine with single core boost. That means B5 is producing those artifacts despite the CPU working at less then 20% utilization.

As already pointed out by the dev, it seems (is) related to the many voices. Is there any way to avoid these spikes? Maybe there is memory managment going on in the background (Windows 10) because voice instances get freed and allocated? Are those voices pre-allocated? For sample processing I suggest to avoid everything possible that's related to changing plugin infrastructure like memory managment or acquiring external resources and the such. C++ can be quite nasty in that respect, and I suggest to only use it for laying out the general and largely fixed program structure. Creating or destroying class instances during regular time-critical processing should be avoided at all cost. Just my 2 cents. I don't know how advanced the dev knowledge is behind B5, so feel free to ignore me if I'm overstepping my boundaries here.

On another thread, i realized that you might be using reaper if you are getting those glitches, so try to check evildragon's advice in his last answer here:
viewtopic.php?t=503839

Return to “AcousticsampleS”