B5 v 2.2 CPU spikes and audio glitches in Reaper using ModWheel

Official support for: acousticsamples.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Only in Reaper I hear a lot of audio glitches when I move the ModWheel to control the Rotary Speaker while I am playing B5 v2.2. Version 2 doesn't have the issue and works perfect!

Didn't have the issue back in the day with Cubase and don't have the issue on the standalone version (v3.0).

Any idea about this issue? Must I change a setting inside Reaper somewhere?
i7 9700K @ 4.6 GHz - Asus Prime Z390-A - Corsair DDR4 3000 MHz - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB - RME HDSPe AIO + XLR balanced breakout - 2x Iiyama PL2492H - Novation Impulse 61 - Evolution UC-16 - Clavia Nord Lead 2 - Yamaha S80

This sounds bit weird. Are you sure the mod wheel is not tied to anything else (in the B-5 or in Reaper) or maybe there is another software doing something with MIDI in the background?

Does it do the same thing in standalone?

Nope.

I also see erratic behaviour of the ModWheel when I'm moving it on my controller.
When I clear all MIDI settings the problem is gone, so it is definately a MIDI problem.
I wonder if other Reaper users experience the same.

Did you test the B-5 inside Reaper? If not, maybe you can verify the correct working inside Reaper.
Many thanks in advance!
i7 9700K @ 4.6 GHz - Asus Prime Z390-A - Corsair DDR4 3000 MHz - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB - RME HDSPe AIO + XLR balanced breakout - 2x Iiyama PL2492H - Novation Impulse 61 - Evolution UC-16 - Clavia Nord Lead 2 - Yamaha S80

You are correct, the V2 works fine and the V2.2 creates glitches in reaper... I'll investigate and let you know when a fix is ready.

Nevermind, it's not a bug, after looking at the code and the differences between the V2 and the V2.2, it turns out that the only difference is the fact that the host automation is exported for the leslie speed by default in the v2.2, so reaper is creating the glitches because of the host automation and probably can't handle it properly.

I don't know how to disable the host automation in Reaper and i'll let you find out as it's already complex enough, but as a temp solution, you can simply right click on the leslie switch on the interface and nexyt to host automation, select "none" at the top and the glitches will go away.

Methinks Reaper handles it fine, but Falcon isn't handling repeated host automation messages on this control very well so it glitches out.

In any case, not sure if host automation is really necessary on that control. MIDI learn should be perfectly sufficient, and shouldn't glitch out.

There are no repeated host automations, the value is sent when a button change happens, and it does not happen for every CC change, just when the button changes.
Maybe it's the default behaviour that does this, and maybe there is a way to handle the host automation differently in reaper, but since it works fine in every other sequencer and the problem is just with reaper, maybe the problem is with reaper...

Host automation is not MIDI CCs, so when automation is read during playback, it does get sent continuously AFAIK. There's no other way to handle host automation, that's pretty much how it always is. Reaper is doing things by the book here. Falcon has some other issues with Reaper only (where other plugins don't have those same issues) so it wouldn't surprise me the same is being the case here.

This is where you did not understand the problem.
I'm not confusing MIDI CCs and host automation and the issue here is not playback at all, it's live playing, the host is not supposed to send anything, but just receive.

The problem for this user happens when a MIDI CC changes a switch on the interface while playing live, in our script, the MIDI CC is mapped to control it. When that switch has a value change, it triggers a host automation change, but only if the value changes, there is nothing continuous here.

Honestly, i don't know how the sequencers handle the host automations internally, i just know that it work without glitches with other sequencers.

EDIT: Looking further into it, seemss like it's about "parameter automation notifications" option. This can be set per plugin in FX browser (right click plugin name, then Automation notifications submenu), should probably be set to ignore when not from UI thread, or ignore all.

I am not sure if host automation change should be triggered from the script - that should be left to the host to handle. I notice it's impossible to use track controls for automating this parameter in Reaper. Can only go one way then can't set it to another value... They are really sluggish.

BTW, using JUST host automation (parameter envelopes), instead of using MIDI CC - no glitches. Even with default setting for "parameter automation notifications".

Many, many thanks, EvilDragon! :clap:

The two solutions you mentioned work both fine!
Now I can finally use my B5 in my productions! :tu:

Return to “AcousticsampleS”