Propellerhead announces "Reason Compact" (now at version 2.0)

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm super disappointed in this... it looks and feels like Groovebox with less features (no song mode and only one instance of each instrument, wtf?) so it's only useful for creating simple loops, but Figure is better for that. The only advantage I can think of is that it exports to the desktop version of Reason. Am I missing something?

ilmai wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:50 am The only advantage I can think of is that it exports to the desktop version of Reason. Am I missing something?
That's the big difference right there - getting an actual Reason project song file. Figure would only allow exporting a lossy MP4 stereo mix down. That said, in Compact you can dive pretty deep into editing Europa, Monotone, and to some extent - Rytmik. I actually like where they're going with Compact - we just need more instruments (in particularly, a sampler).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Still think that this Reason Compact is primarily an iPhone app and we’ll be seeing Reason Mobile for iPad soon enough.

Too bad Props are tainting the Reason name and legacy with this app. It is so Mickey Mouse. Its really just Figure 2.0 - but with even less capabilities than Figure! That you can export out a Reason file to open in desktop is the only good thing about it.

Your only options for scales are major and minor. @##$%! Is there a pre count anywhere? Percussion names are over written by midi notes in first beat. Moving notes in seq? Messy. Whole sequencer jiggles. Solo/mute? Nope. Want to hear what you just edited in measure 4? You have to start your loop from the beginning at measure one. If you buy a percussion pack, how does that new pack get into your Reason DAW? Or are they just pre-existing samples that have been FX’d? How do you make your own pack? In one of the version release notes, it says you can.

festeringheap wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:55 pm That you can export out a Reason file to open in desktop is the only good thing about it.
Having a capable "pocket Europa" and Monotone bass synth is pretty good as well, IMHO. But I feel this is just an idea scratch pad since it's limited to 8 bars still. It's a capable idea scratch pad, IMHO.
festeringheap wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:55 pmIs there a pre count anywhere?
No, but do you really need one with just 8 bars? The loop keeps playing and you start recording your performance as needed. Press play, press record, and... record your performance...
festeringheap wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:55 pm If you buy a percussion pack, how does that new pack get into your Reason DAW? Or are they just pre-existing samples that have been FX’d?
All Rytmik samples are already included in the desktop version of Reason. You just have to pay to unlock them as IAP's on the mobile versions. Europa and Monotone packs are exported in your projects, though.
festeringheap wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:55 pm How do you make your own pack? In one of the version release notes, it says you can.
Once you tweak a device to your liking, whether it be Europa, Monotone, or Rytmik, you'll see an asterisk appear to the right of the patch name you're tweaking. That means you can save that preset to your own "pack". Tap the preset, and you'll see 3 dots to the right - hit that menu. Now you can add it to your "My Sounds" pack, or reset the preset back to default. Each device will have its own "My Sounds" pack for you to save your presets into.

To export your sounds, you either have to do it via the menu on the main page for each device, one preset at a time, or export the entire song project. I wish they had an option to export your entire "My Sounds" folder.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:27 pmOnce you tweak a device to your liking, whether it be Europa, Monotone, or Rytmik, you'll see an asterisk appear to the right of the patch name you're tweaking. That means you can save that preset to your own "pack". Tap the preset, and you'll see 3 dots to the right - hit that menu. Now you can add it to your "My Sounds" pack, or reset the preset back to default. Each device will have its own "My Sounds" pack for you to save your presets into.
Ahhh...I don't have that option. I guess you have to pay for Europa/Mono/Ryt to be able to save a patch to your own pack. I just came up with an nice enough patch using the free paramaters and arp - I'll just export that out using the global export page.

The app doesn't interest me enough yet to fork over any of my dough.

30 Dollars (so far) for 3 instruments and fudgey sequencer is quite a lot, considering you could get Gadget for 40 (20 right now on sale).
I think Props are just doing their usual overpricing gag - and it'll make Reason Mobile for iPad seem like a good deal when they overcharge for that as well. (But compared to Compact? Hey, that seems Reasonable...)

EnochLight wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:27 pm
Having a capable "pocket Europa" and Monotone bass synth is pretty good as well, IMHO. But I feel this is just an idea scratch pad since it's limited to 8 bars still. It's a capable idea scratch pad, IMHO.
Yes, definitely IYHO...I feel the opposite IMHO ... :hihi:

festeringheap wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:44 pm Yes, definitely IYHO...I feel the opposite IMHO ... :hihi:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness, I own both Reason Compact and Gadget for iOS. I find banging out an idea is a lot easier in Reason Compact compared to Gadget.

Oh! :hyper: Another Compact update! Was supposed to fix the overwrite of the first note label - but actually doesn't! :dog:

Reason Compact continues to crash Garageband when using IAA and a Compact device.

On the plus side, there are an extra 7 Monotone patches!!!!!!!! :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:
EnochLight wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:08 pm

In all seriousness, I own both Reason Compact and Gadget for iOS. I find banging out an idea is a lot easier in Reason Compact compared to Gadget.
Yeah I guess that we all have our favorite quick idea generators...

(maybe Compact 3.0 [or 4.0] for me :hihi: )

To me it feels as if they are putting the product name 'Reason' to this app as a marketing ploy. I was hugely disappointed with version 1.0 as it was just a simplified version of one Reason synth - it just seemed like a marketing ploy and nothing more.

Version 2.0 seems to have made little progress towards becoming Reason. It's more that Reason has gained some of the app's functionality rather than the other way round. If it's truly a mobile version of Reason, why does it lack so many of the best features of Reason? Where is the back panel access? Where is the amazing CV and gate patching?

Why call this app Reason at all? Why not call it by a unique name, and sell it on the fact that you can export files from it and use in Reason? I'd find it a bit more honest if they just created it as a new Propellerheads' app and gave it its own name.

Just my 2c.

festeringheap wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:41 am Oh! :hyper: Another Compact update! Was supposed to fix the overwrite of the first note label - but actually doesn't! :dog:
According to the release notes - it fixes the drum labels on the iPad in drum grid - which is exactly what it did on my iPad.

I don’t see anything in the release notes about a fix for what you describe.

Forgotten wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:05 am To me it feels as if they are putting the product name 'Reason' to this app as a marketing ploy. I was hugely disappointed with version 1.0 as it was just a simplified version of one Reason synth - it just seemed like a marketing ploy and nothing more.

Version 2.0 seems to have made little progress towards becoming Reason. It's more that Reason has gained some of the app's functionality rather than the other way round. If it's truly a mobile version of Reason, why does it lack so many of the best features of Reason? Where is the back panel access? Where is the amazing CV and gate patching?

Why call this app Reason at all? Why not call it by a unique name, and sell it on the fact that you can export files from it and use in Reason? I'd find it a bit more honest if they just created it as a new Propellerheads' app and gave it its own name.

Just my 2c.
Well, to be fair, it's called Reason Compact - Your Pocket Music Studio (updated from Reason Compact - Your Pocket Synth when it only had the synth), not Reason.

But I agree that this app so far is completely un-Reason-like. The only thing, so far, that is/was common with the desktop version is the Europa synth from Reason 10. And if you happened to own a version of Reason that predated Reason10, then the synth means nothing to you.

Rytmyk and Monotone would mean nothing to you either, as that just came out a few weeks ago in 10.4 to complement the app. If the bass and drums in the app were Subtractor and Kong, for example, and opened up your file with those devices in desktop, then it would have had more of that, ahh baby Reason feeling. But everything is brand new, so no.

I'm guessing that devices added from here on out will be ones that we are used to in the desktop version. Maybe Dr. Octo is next. There could be a ton of money made in selling IAP rex file packs.

So far, the only thing that feels "Reason" is the rack frame under the main devices . I didn't even notice that until this morning it is so faint. :o
Last edited by festeringheap on Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EnochLight wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:45 pm
festeringheap wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:41 am Oh! :hyper: Another Compact update! Was supposed to fix the overwrite of the first note label - but actually doesn't! :dog:
According to the release notes - it fixes the drum labels on the iPad in drum grid - which is exactly what it did on my iPad.

I don’t see anything in the release notes about a fix for what you describe.
Well, it's overwriting the labels in not only Rytmyk, but in Monotone and Europa as well. Maybe my iPad is screwed up.

EnochLight wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 2:10 pm
That's the big difference right there - getting an actual Reason project song file. Figure would only allow exporting a lossy MP4 stereo mix down.
I export .wav files from Figure - always did.

mrdoghead wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:29 am
That's the big difference right there - getting an actual Reason project song file. Figure would only allow exporting a lossy MP4 stereo mix down.
I export .wav files from Figure - always did.
Right - it’s been a hot minute since I used Figure. Stereo mix down in *.wav was an option.

ilmai wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:50 am The only advantage I can think of is that it exports to the desktop version of Reason. Am I missing something?
That's the big difference right there - getting an actual Reason project song file.
Maybe soon an option to:
a) do you own Reason Rack?
b)export to Ableton/Cubase/etc? and opening up the corresponding project file with the Reason Rack Plugins

you can't open project files in Reason rack. Only individual devices and combinator presets.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”