Is Android Dead?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't think the latency is as big of a problem. It has its roots in Android itself and can't be easily addressed per se (from the point of view of a developer), but I feel like people give it too much "credit". If the audio delay is around 20-100 milliseconds, how much of an effect does it really have for the human reaction time, which is, in regards to auditory stimuli, around 160 milliseconds?

If the delay is longer, it's not Android, it's the developer.

Also, when it comes to developing for hundreds of different devices, that's not really that big of a problem either. Most if not all engines that support the Android SDK have easy scalability. The question for the developer is just how far to push the support. (The same as if to support a plugin for Windows XP, for example).

Not to mention that the market share is heavily leaning towards Android, especially as the iPhone dominance is only that prominent in US, not really seen as much in EU or Asian countries.
Take care :wink:

consordini wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:57 am If the audio delay is around 20-100 milliseconds, how much of an effect does it really have for the human reaction time, which is, in regards to auditory stimuli, around 160 milliseconds?
Are you effing serious? I take it you do not play any realtime instrument then (that would even include a turntable)?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:13 pm
consordini wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:57 am If the audio delay is around 20-100 milliseconds, how much of an effect does it really have for the human reaction time, which is, in regards to auditory stimuli, around 160 milliseconds?
Are you effing serious? I take it you do not play any realtime instrument then (that would even include a turntable)?
In this context reaction time is irrelevant. The important number is the time the brain needs for sensory perception which is generally considered to be in the 13ms range. This is also what game developers work with when they try to reach real time performance.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Exactly! It's absolutely foolish to assume playing musical instruments (or dancing) would solely depend on reaction - imagine every note would come with a 120ms delay after some other note (or whatever) that would trigger such a reaction. :shock: Musical performances would not at all be possible! :nutter:

It can be less than 13ms btw. , depending on music, instrument, feel, etc. ...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

To follow up on this topic, Google audio engineers recently published an article showcasing their recent accomplishments to improve the overall experience on Android:

https://android-developers.googleblog.c ... tency.html

Things are moving in a good way, and lots of recent devices show professional ready performances already.

By the way, if you are an Android audio app developer reading this, please join this subreddit we recently created so we can get in touch:

https://www.reddit.com/r/androidaudiodev/

They seem to provide some useful DAWs, and their FL Studio Mobile app is the best! Has pretty much everything I need, and it works on my old Samsung Galaxy Tab 4.

fairlyclose wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:57 am
thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:42 am
fedexnman wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:14 am I think they build the crap to last no more than two years . I may look at the Nokia's next time .
My Samsung Galaxy Note lasted around 2 years ... my current Nokia Lumia is 6 years old.
cue the derisive laughter :) but I really liked my Nokia windows phone - I was pretty sad when windows dumped their phoneOS
Right?!? I guess the market for people who just wanted to use a phone, wait for it, as a phone, was too small.

ghettosynth wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:27 pm
fairlyclose wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:57 am
thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:42 am
fedexnman wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:14 am I think they build the crap to last no more than two years . I may look at the Nokia's next time .
My Samsung Galaxy Note lasted around 2 years ... my current Nokia Lumia is 6 years old.
cue the derisive laughter :) but I really liked my Nokia windows phone - I was pretty sad when windows dumped their phoneOS
Right?!? I guess the market for people who just wanted to use a phone, wait for it, as a phone, was too small.
I got another Nokia running Android now, nice hardware but Android is still not as good as the windows OS as far as my experience goes - no idea about under the hood stuff.

I like the drawing and composition apps that are available for the Android system.

I'm developing a new music making app for Android by the way. It's still in alpha test, if you want to give it a try you can register here:
http://meteaurestudios.github.io/

It's still in development, so any feedback would be very appreciated :)

I’m not android user, I use iPhone, iPad Pro, iMac, Apple TV, etc; you get the picture…
But, after Steinberg releasing Cubase for android, I think the future looks bright for android users 🙂
Sure, it’s still not on a par with iOS, but I’m sure it will get there in few years time eventually - google permitting…

It's not very user-friendly but Grainstorm is a ridiculously deep and nerdy grain sampler on Android. Looks like it hasn't been mentioned on KVR so far.

Spacecraft Granular synth now also available on Android, instabuy imo:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ndroidpaid

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”