Android audio apps

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Android is such a moving target I sometimes question the value of locking into a 2-year contract for an Android phone - although if I get something by HTC, the odds are new ROMs will be ported by XDA.

I'm still under my present contract for a few more months, and other than iphone (which I don't want - although I may get a touch or ipad), ATT doesn't have a lot of "interesting" phones yet. If that doesn't change, I may jump ship.

Doug
Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad - Spock, in "I, Mudd"

For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm

get jasuto... ace little modular synth 8)

steve.

My brother just released a virtual theremin app for Android (I don't know the name), so clearly it is possible to write audio apps with 2.1.
This sounds promising for me since I'm gonna get an Android for this xmas. I decided to wait a few OS updates to get me more rudimentary stability.
Best regards from Johan Brodd.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

My brothers app is called Etherophone. I'm actually not all that enthralled with it now that I've tried it... but I'll be giving him some feedback for sure.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I have to eat some of the words I wrote below.

I played with an Incredible at a Verizon kiosk, and was duly impressed. Much of the gain was due to the faster processor, compared to the phone I was using at the time - even on WIFI and with multiple web browsers, there were sites that loaded slowly, but on the Incredible with 3G inside a mall, it was smooth and fast.

Yesterday on my way back to the office from a dentist appointment, I saw the Sprint store wasn't busy, so I popped in to check out an Evo. I was even more impressed.

Between
- the impressive Evo (even on 3G, 4G isn't rolled out here)
- the cost savings of switching to Sprint from ATT (the ETF will balance out because I'd just paid ATT for next month)
- they gave me $95 for my present phone (ATT Tilt2 - high-end WM smartphone)
- HTC promised that all phones they release in 2010 will get 2.2 (Froyo) upgrades, and Froyo is promising big performance improvements on an already-fast phone.
- the lack of a waiting line at this store (they were almost over-staffed, the CSR that worked with me was going to be there for over 12 hours).

I walked out of the store with an Evo.

Some thoughts:
- Multi-touch made a big difference - my Tilt2 didn't have multi-touch. I would think this would be essential for a music app unless it's sequencer-driven.
- The Incredible and Evo both proved to me that I could work with a touchscreen-only phone.
- All my spare power supplies/cables are mini-USB, but this uses micro-USB. Annoying, but there's worse things and I shopped around for cheap cables.
- Evo battery life is kinda lame. I'm going to get another battery, fortunately I can swap them at my pleasure (take that, Apple!)
- There's only one WM app I have that doesn't have an Android counterpart, but the vendor has an alternative (web access) and is working on a full Android version.
- The new Apple phone expected on Monday will have even higher specs.

Thanks for the list of apps, fred-hal - I already got Ringdroid but didn't notice the others.

Doug
I wrote:Android is such a moving target I sometimes question the value of locking into a 2-year contract for an Android phone - although if I get something by HTC, the odds are new ROMs will be ported by XDA.

I'm still under my present contract for a few more months, and other than iphone (which I don't want - although I may get a touch or ipad), ATT doesn't have a lot of "interesting" phones yet. If that doesn't change, I may jump ship.
Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad - Spock, in "I, Mudd"

For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm

dougsyo wrote:

Higher specs than the EVO? Are you sure?

TristezaOrange wrote:
dougsyo wrote:

the leaked/rumoured screen specs are pretty bonkers by all accounts, 960x640 resolution. and if it gets the a4 processor it will be up to 1ghz, much more competetive with the latest snapdragons in the android phones than the current weedy effort in the 3gs. although the issue then will be battery life, same as the latest androids (and especially the evo). good screen and fast proccessor means shitty battery life and massive power drain.

it's certainly a good time to be looking for a phone though.... loads of choice in all areas.

cheers,

steve.

TristezaOrange wrote:
dougsyo wrote:

yes. at least the screen will be better (960x640). funny thing is, Apple did not have a choice here. they HAD to develop a new screen with 960x640 instead of using the common and cheaper 800x480, because older apps would not work on 800x480. on the 4G's screen, they can be transparently upscaled 2x.

Yea, the Evo is my next phone for sure. First phone to have quality video, so I'll be able to capture drunken retardation over the weekends with unprecedented detail.

Front camera is good, too. I really miss my touch cruise sometimes because I could skype/aim video on it.

Jasuto is pretty awesome. But I have a G1 (aka HTC Dream) and it's just too slow to run it properly. I guess it's a good thing I like glitches :P

so which phone is actually the most powerful and which ones can you put VST's on? i know there is a windows mobile 6.5, i have not found a HOST that could be loaded onto it.

I mean with 1 ghz processor and 1 gb RAM, you could totally run something like ableton live. right?

what about external perfials? audio interface? midi controller hookup?

this looked like the best
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/ ... ,41.1,21.1

Bump. Freeware ones:

- Chordbot - gets the most use from me, and also will teach music theory ignoramuses like me some basic chord structures :) Basic chord sequencer with nice sounds to choose from.
- Thereal Dialpad - double theremin type instrument. Great on "particle" mode when you are smashed. Etherophone is great, too.
- The one simply called "Synthesizer" which has quite a few synth/effect parameters open for tweaking and plays by chord buttons.
- Rehearsal Assistant is the best for recording tracks (you can organize and comment on recordings)
- Solo Lite/Robot guitarist - select chords and then play guitar per-string.
- Automatic Music Dictation Notate monophonic melodies whether you hum them or play on the guitar, etc.
- Fingerplay is an awesome MIDI controller for your computer.
- Uloops Music Composer is a loop sequencer with enough basic functionality to do bonafide DJ/mashup sets with.
- Lumin, sonnorox, Loops! - matrix step sequencers for melody and drums
- Tub Thumper - drum sampler with pads (annoying latency though)

The Chase wrote:Bump. Freeware ones:

- Chordbot - gets the most use from me, and also will teach music theory ignoramuses like me some basic chord structures :) Basic chord sequencer with nice sounds to choose from.
- Thereal Dialpad - double theremin type instrument. Great on "particle" mode when you are smashed. Etherophone is great, too.
- The one simply called "Synthesizer" which has quite a few synth/effect parameters open for tweaking and plays by chord buttons.
- Rehearsal Assistant is the best for recording tracks (you can organize and comment on recordings)
- Solo Lite/Robot guitarist - select chords and then play guitar per-string.
- Automatic Music Dictation Notate monophonic melodies whether you hum them or play on the guitar, etc.
- Fingerplay is an awesome MIDI controller for your computer.
- Uloops Music Composer is a loop sequencer with enough basic functionality to do bonafide DJ/mashup sets with.
- Lumin, sonnorox, Loops! - matrix step sequencers for melody and drums
- Tub Thumper - drum sampler with pads (annoying latency though)
Thanks for those! Already love ChordBot but I had no idea about Lumin. Solo Lite and Robot Guitarist are also favs of mine.

Synthesizer has a lot of annoying latency too and my Hero used to stutter with Ethereal Dialpad, have to check it out again now that 2.1 made it feel like a new phone. :)

Fingerplay and Rehearsal Assistant are being downloaded right now! :D

I have an iPhone. It really is a useless piece of fashionable crap. Extremely overpriced and extremely annoying to use. Unflexible, unfriendly, and hostile (i.e. you have to use WiFi for most transfers - and even then it's a tedious tedious process).

I had it jailbroken within minutes and it's still relatively useless.
Media Playback is limited to Apple Formats (unless you use jailborken OPlayer).

- No delivery reports.
- No ability for saving/attaching files to emails.
- Limited transfer options (wifi or itunes) - although i'm using various hacks.
- Awful battery life.
- SMS delays (and if somebody sends u a business card - it doesnt even tell you).
- For MP3 playback every files needs perfect MP3 tagging. So your home demo's might not be found. And iTunes seems to mess up the encoding of many files during transfer.
- And it seems, the average iPhone user is a bit "special" - search the (iPhone) forums for some assistance and most replies seem to revolve around "use iTunes". I remember having some technical issues with my previous WinMobile phone but finding in-depth practical/technical solutions and work-arounds.

However, it has 2 vital apps:

NanoStudio http://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/
Xewton Music Studio (which has lower latency). http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/overview/

If these 2 apps (or something similar) were available for the Android OS - with low latency (of course). I would gladly flush the iPhone down the toilet and get a new phone.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”