Beatmaker 2, Nanostudio, Aurora - which?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Title says it all - I'm really tempted by Aurora, which seems to be the black sheep of the bunch. I want to learn one and learn it well. Waddya'all think?

I have all three... You can't go wrong with ether Beatmaker 2 or Nanostudio. Aurora is cool, but not a day to day sequencer. It's cool to have, but NOT worth the price.
Dell desktop Win 10 /2012 MacBook Pro
Cubase Pro 10/Mixcraft 9

Beatmaker 2 is very unstable
Last edited by pierreb on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I also have all of em. For serious compositions and even some basic mixing, I think Nano Studio is the clear winner.

Aurora is more a kind of curiosity. It also hasn't been updated in a long time so it might be discontinued (though it works just fine).

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I've got Beatmaker and Nanostudio. Nanostudio is better.

I also have beat maker 2 and nanostudio. Nanostudio is more intuitive and has better soft synth functionality, plus I have transferred about 10 gb of samples into nano and the audition feature, plus the way you can edit is easier. My gripe about nano is I like to look at visually pleasing apps and I'm sure it is great on iPhone, but on the iPad, the resolution looks bad. Would like to see further dev on iPad resolution, plus improved features, maybe even ability to play sound in the background while I record on another soft synth app. Nano studio would be my desert island iPad app still.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

saichele wrote:Title says it all - I'm really tempted by Aurora, which seems to be the black sheep of the bunch. I want to learn one and learn it well. Waddya'all think?
Also have all of them, but BM2 takes the price for the time being simply because it has multitasking. This way I am able to play and record a good bunch of synths with BM2 playing in the background. Synths like Addictive, iSyn Poly, Argon, SynthX and iVoxel have background audio. This is IMO a little more exiting than just layering Edens synths in Nanostudio or "blindly" import phrases from synths that are made without background audio and thus not necessarily will sound good once you hear them in the mix.

Aurora will especially be good as a live tool, if you like the Yamaha Tenori concept (scaled grid playing).

Cheers
Last edited by Locus M on Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint."

Take a look at iSequence - looks pretty amazing.

Own most of them - Beat Maker is excellent - have not bought the HD yet even though I have an iPad - dunno, it just feels like if you bought the iPhone version, you should at least get a discount to upgrade to the iPad version. Same thought goes for all apps that appear on both.

NanoStudio is great, but lacks the HD iPad version, as was mentioned.

A few others, which are quite similar, is FL Studio mobile, Music Studio, N-Track studio, Garageband and Studio HD.

I own FL Studio mobile and Music Studio and both are solid, but really look alike - in fact, I think one licensed the other out and simply applied its samples to one genre or another. FL Studio mobile is geared towards dance, trance, techno, electronica and other such genres. Music Studio is geared towards rock, pop and scoring.

On the Android tablet scene, the best I have found is Caustic. It is AMAZING - pretty much Reason on the Android. The synths are top tier and the drum machines are worthy. Overall, very useable and well worth the price.

Mike

Karmacomposer wrote:
I own FL Studio mobile and Music Studio and both are solid, but really look alike - in fact, I think one licensed the other out and simply applied its samples to one genre or another.
FL Studio Mobile is made in coorporation with Xewton and is powered by the Music Studio engine. It adds a few features such as a loop player and a stepsequencer for drums, drum pads, audio copy, sample import (from pc though) and direct import into FL studio Pc version, besides from the top notch samples.

Cheers
"I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint."

Just to correct something said a few posts ago..... If you own Beatmaker 2, you own both the iPad and and iPhone version. It is a universal app.

But, Beatmaker 1 is a completely different product, that is no longer in development, and there is not an iPad version......
Cubase Pro 10/Mixcraft 9

Hello,

I'm a big fan of Nanostudio. It's my ideation breeding app of lot of my tracks. My current track was started in Nanostudio, then each parts were mixdown and imported and edited, then doubled or more with big vst synths. I'm currently working on a new track and it follow the same process. I used a lot Beatmaker, but Nano is far far away in front, and on an Iphone 3GS as mine, it can run a lot of FXs, channels without lags, what is not the same with Beatmaker2. Maybe, BM2 is better on highend devices, not on mine. :)

Cheers,
setfan

@ 7fanb

Yes Nanostudio would be better on older devices. BM2 has more features and power, and therefore needs more ram and processer. On the iPad 2 it flies...... and with the iPad update it is great. NS has been promising an iPad up date since July of 2010, perhaps before years end it may actually happen... I'm not holding my breath.....
Cubase Pro 10/Mixcraft 9

BM2 running smooth here on an ipad 1.
I tried the nanostudio desktop version, and though it was nice, ultimately went with BM2 as it appears more comprehensive. Also has a very nifty loop slicer, useful for those amen breaks, if DnB is your thing. Though Eden is nice, there are imo much nicer synths like Sunrizer and Addicitve synth available, so a combination of BM2 with one or more of these gives much more mileage, at least in my opinion.
Isequence is another one to watch out for. Though limited by 8 mono "tracks", it has a good collection of sample based instruments, and a soon to come update will include the Substrax subtractive synth. Keep in mind this is for a future update, but once available, I think iSequence will be the only one with both sample based instruments and a synth. Currently, whatever is available is either one or the other.

Correction .. Just read over at palm sounds that Music Studio version 2.0 is soon to be launched. It will have audio tracks, and 2 synthesizers, in addition to the sample based instruments in version 1, so this may well end up being the most comprehensive solution out there. The lite version is out, but the full version has not been released yet.

I hope they mean actual synthesizers with internal sound generators rather than just sample based instruments based on synth samples. But the language suggests that they mean synths.

CT wrote:Correction .. Just read over at palm sounds that Music Studio version 2.0 is soon to be launched. It will have audio tracks, and 2 synthesizers, in addition to the sample based instruments in version 1, so this may well end up being the most comprehensive solution out there. The lite version is out, but the full version has not been released yet.

I hope they mean actual synthesizers with internal sound generators rather than just sample based instruments based on synth samples. But the language suggests that they mean synths.
I am afraid you misunderstood. There are no new generators. What it means is that the lite version has two new synth sounds while the full version will have 24 new sounds.

However, the dev plans to add a sampler, afaik, but not in this update.

There are other issues that will prevent MS from being the most comprehensive solution some time ahead, such as the very limited effect routing.

Cheers

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”