V-control Pro update - amazing..

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I finally got V-control Pro today after seeing they had a new update released with:

V-Window - Provides window control for plug-ins, surround panners, and any other windows.
MultiPanel - New multi-purpose view for a better organized GUI.
Additional DAW Support - Live, Reason, Reaper, Studio One, FL Studio, Tracktion.
Logic Improvements - Instrument parameter editing, counter jog/scrub control.
Pro Tools Improvements - Full-screen surround panner control. Sticky modifier buttons.

I use Cubase 6 and especially the V-window feature is fantastic - every window I have open in Cubase, I can select on my iPad and tweak the controls by hand. Just slightly laggy but I'm not on an ad-hoc network, still works really well.

These are actual screenshots from my iPad:

Have only used it very briefly but everything seems to work as it should. It's not cheap, $49.99, but for what it does it's definitely worth it. There's a free version to try out as well.

For me, this is what I've been longing for ever since I got an iPad.

More info at Neyrinck website:
http://www.neyrinck.com/en/products/v-control-pro

that actually does look really cool.

It seems quite good... These apps are getting expensive...

To bad it doesnt have a midi editor window, where we can compose music too.

If it is a 'virtual window' it can do anything cubase can do in a window, including midi editing...(I am assuming that is how ity is working, rather than re-codes graphics as it looks 'exactly' like cubase!)

Perhaps the poster can comment.

I wonder how well this can handle the little bitty controls on some synths - but it does look nice

Ipad only? or is android on the way?
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

Just downloaded the free version but it's difficult to make an opinion as "nothing" works :(

How do you set it up with ableton live ?

SLiC wrote:If it is a 'virtual window' it can do anything cubase can do in a window, including midi editing...(I am assuming that is how ity is working, rather than re-codes graphics as it looks 'exactly' like cubase!)

Perhaps the poster can comment.
Yes, exactly, and I've tried a few dedicated apps for that before, but they were actually more laggy than V-control Pro + they just let you move the mouse pointer with your finger, whereas here you touch and drag the sliders, knobs etc, feels much better. Not perfect, and small controls will be hard to work with, but for things like EQ curves like you see in the screenshot it works great. You can do everything you do with a mouse in the v-window (except double and rightclick as I understand) so basic MIDI editing like dragging parts should work.

And this has so much more, the mixer and transport functions are not v-windowed and works perfectly, no latency at all for me. Directly sensed and imported all the positions of sliders, mutes, pans, track names etc from my old Cubase project.
Ipad only? or is android on the way?
Yes iPad only, no sign of android as I could see on their website.

Just downloaded the free version but it's difficult to make an opinion as "nothing" works Sad

How do you set it up with ableton live ?
There's a user manual in the app plus a large FAQ on their website, should be instructions for each DAW there. You need to download the small Ney-fi program and install on your computer for it to communicate with the iPad, then add V-control as a control surface in Live.

The free version doesn't give you a chance to test the video view so it's pretty much useless . Would like to see how it behaves with my other stuff, cpu usage, .... for the rest I have touchable and the lemur so that mixer page is not too appealing to me.

mbncp wrote:The free version doesn't give you a chance to test the video view so it's pretty much useless . Would like to see how it behaves with my other stuff, cpu usage, .... for the rest I have touchable and the lemur so that mixer page is not too appealing to me.
You can see the virtual windows in the free version, but not tweak them. But sure, for Live especially, I think there are much more functional controller apps. Seems like the templates for Pro Tools, Cubase and Logic are the most advanced in V-Control Pro.

What's the advantage vs using a VNC type app? Especially considering the hefty added price. (no, I'm not saying it's a rip-off, or anything like that.)

Quite possibly the best $50 I spent last year, along with Valhalla Room. This update looks awesome - I've been using it with Pro Tools, but I can't wait to try it with S1!!!
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

conundrum wrote:What's the advantage vs using a VNC type app? Especially considering the hefty added price. (no, I'm not saying it's a rip-off, or anything like that.)
Well, V-control Pro is first and foremeost a DAW controller app, a Mackie HUI emulation for Cubase and I think it uses OSC for Logic. As such it's really the best I've tried, with multitouch sliders, solo, mute, pan, scrub, jog, markers and much more in a smart layout and probably worth the price alone if you're looking for something like that and don't have any hardware motorized faders etc. The V-window is a new feature, it's like a mini VNC app inside the the other app. I've tried two dedicated VNC apps before and was pretty disappointed with them, buggy, lots of lag and not a good feel when moving around the mouse pointer with your finger. I don't know how Neyrinck did it, but the latency is much better in V-Control Pro, almost instant showing of the window on the iPad and very little lag, I opened Battery today and it was possible to play a beat on the drumpads in the v-window. That would be impossible with the other VNC apps. I think this is extremly cool, I will have this open every time I start Cubase now. Hope more people discover it.

Here's a good video to show what it actually does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5Vcgf3-jvs

Now if only multi-touch worked then it'd be pretty much perfect!

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

conundrum wrote:What's the advantage vs using a VNC type app? Especially considering the hefty added price. (no, I'm not saying it's a rip-off, or anything like that.)
All VNC apps that we tried were not very responsive, so we set out to make V-Window more responsive. V-Window was designed to make user interfaces that have knobs, slider, and buttons very responsive. Also, V-Window lets you focus on a single window very easily.

Paul Neyrinck

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”