Impaktor - just get it!

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just saw Beepstreets Impaktor was out, got it, spent 10 minutes with it, and I'm in love..

Amazed at the sensitivity and sound quality, much better than I expected, and the ability to control pitch with loudness. Favorite preset so far: Clear Steel

I have many more advanced and evolved apps than this but I haven't had as much instant fun with my iPad since I got thumbjam a very long time ago. Plus I can see lots of potential for this app, and since it's Beeptreet (who made Sunrizer) one could expect lots of updates and added features.

Total Heaven for fingerdrummers. And useful whatever genre you're making music in. You won't spend $4.99 on anything more worth it this week. Just get it!

And btw, you have to use headphones, will be a mess otherwise.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/impaktor ... 24278?mt=8
Last edited by olja on Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

and a screenshot:

... and a little demo as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... duByOIRCd8

BTW; Nice toy and time waster, but I wish that Dev could concentrate more on promised (1 year overdue) update for iSequence ver.3 instead... ;)

On your suggestion, I bought this (that, and I have their other software and LOVE IT).

Does this have multiple tracks/layers? I can see this as invaluable to layer drums together (first play bass, then snare, then hi hats, etc)

I wonder is this will work along side the new DrumJam (which I also purchased)?

Mike

Yes, it has a 6-track loop recorder (you can load one of the ~90 or so drum instruments onto each of the six tracks), so you can layer kick, snare, percussion, etc. and it is a BLAST to play around with. You have to make sure you're using headphones, though, or the audio from playing loops over the speakers will trigger the drum sounds on the track you're trying to play. It is great for quickly layering up drum parts, and as you can mute and solo each track individually (as well as set volume and pan for each part), and then bounce down to either a file or AudioCopy, you can quickly come up with variations on your main beat (by muting, soloing) and bounce those down. It also has a "live" audio recorder, so you can record the output of your loops while you're playing another part. Very cool, but I prefer the bounce method as it's more controlled ;-)

As far as I can tell, there's no background audio in Impaktor (probably for the best) but I believe DrumJam has background audio and would work with Impaktor -- I can try this tonight.
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

It does have "multitrack" sequencer, but very limited and it does not have virtual MIDI or AUDIO.
It is a TOY just like Ocarina only instead of flute you have drum sounds (editable) instead.
It is a TOY - keep that in mind.

Leslie wrote:It does have "multitrack" sequencer, but very limited and it does not have virtual MIDI or AUDIO.
It is a TOY just like Ocarina only instead of flute you have drum sounds (editable) instead.
I disagree. I don't see this as a toy at all (and believe me -- I have TONS of "toy" audio apps). It's a versatile and expressive drum synthesizer. In playing around with it for 30 minutes last night I made at least 8 quality drum and percussion loops that could easily serve as the rhythmic hooks for several songs.

And what is "virtual AUDIO"? The app has CoreAUDIO support and AUDIOCopy, so I don't know what would be missing in that department? Background audio, maybe? Anyway, it's $5 (not $300 like the Korg Wavedrum, its closest competition). It's not going to break the bank, either way.

It's definetely not a toy. It reminds me Reaktor Prism, very similar to its FX version. Not sure to understand how Midi should be implemented, since it uses noise impulses made by the musician as an audio source. Prism does have a noise generator, but Impaktor does not as of now.
By the way, Impaktor is not limited to drum sounds, it's a great synth.
Just like in Prism, the input sensivity is a very important setting. Very useful to avoid unwanted artifacts.

Leslie wrote:It does have "multitrack" sequencer, but very limited and it does not have virtual MIDI or AUDIO.
I don't think it's a toy. It's an instrument. A very physical instrument with a very well thought out interface.

It's not a DAW, not a sequencer, not a deep syntheziser - just an extremely usable and great sounding instrument - with a pretty unique functionality.

There's clearly lots of work behind this, both on interface, usability, synthesis engine and algorithms for how the incoming audio could be used.

Very far from ocarina and the likes - there are billions of apps like that with toy-ish looks but it's very unfair to compare impaktor to them. Definitiely no 'play along to Justin Bieber' on this one.

Sorry guys, but this app is next to being useless in my studio set up...
NO MIDI means NO integration with my Cubase or Live setup :(
Still, cool and cheap app that can provide hours of enjoyment and fun - just like all iOS games :)

BTW; When will iSequence Ver.3 be released..!?

Leslie wrote:Sorry guys, but this app is next to being useless in my studio set up...
Still, cool and cheap app that can provide hours of enjoyment and fun - just like all iOS games :)

No offense meant, but from your comments, I think you might be missing the point on what the app actually is.

It's not intended to be a MIDI-triggered drum synth VST. It's a playable synthetic percussion instrument. Being trigged from incoming audio is integral to what the app is -- and it does what it does VERY well, with excellent "pro"-sounding results. If you in particular can't use something like that in your set-up (and honestly, I think you could find this useful: you could easily make and export hundreds of loops for use in Cubase or Live with this thing), that's fine, but that doesn't automatically make it a toy.

Point taken... ;)
Cool app regardless... :)

Does it MIDI out?

This looks pretty awesome..thinking about the possibilitie sampling its audio into Geist,

Leslie wrote:Sorry guys, but this app is next to being useless in my studio set up...

Wow. How one sided you are. There is life after MIDI you know. Perhaps it won't work for you, but for the rest of us that Multi track our audio, it works JUST FINE. You can lay down your beat(s) and then fill in the rest with keyboards or what not - bring it into your DAW and finish with Vsti.

Nope. Not a toy. More like a really convenient Drum Pad.

Mike

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”