Bram Bos Phasemaker is amazing

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Bram Bos Phasemaker FM synth i so good, that i´m wondering why it doesn´t get more attention. I guess because FM Synthesis is so complex, it will give you headaches, but the iPad again proves to be the perfect playground to explore it. Kudos to Bram Bos for supplying a very good manual.

The app itself is perfectly done, AUv3 integration, great UI, great manual, and most importantly, great sound! It offers unique vintage but timeless FM-sound in the spirit of the legendary DX 7, and should be in every iOS synth collection! You will need to dedicate significant time though to explore the possibilities!

I got it and posted when it first came out

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=471944

and got tumbleweeds. It's gone well under the radar but is superb. It needed that first update though, for better preset management.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

You called it "Phrasemaker" that´s why i couldn´t find it in the search :)

It´s a little bit of a mystery to me, why this app isn´t breaking through as it should, since the Yamaha DX 7 was one of the most sold synths of all time, and programming it must have been terrible. It´s also a digital synth, so naturally the sound character can be replicated well by software. So now we have this legendary sound in a beautiful app, with great integration via AU and "crickets"?

I think it´s a combination of the complexity of the FM - synthesis, the sometimes chaotic nature of it and the mostly "cold" and metallic sounds. It´s the black magic of synthesis :D

If it´s so complex to operate, i can only imagine how crazy it is to actually code such a thing. Bram Bos is a master of FM Synthesis, the Ruismaker FM makes the meanest Kick/Basedrums on all of iOS! It´s my pleasure to support such a talented developer, especially with the ridiculously low prices he charges for his apps!

I guess brand recognition is everything. If Yamaha had released this App with a vintage UI Skin, called it "DX 7.1" charged 30 bucks for it, it would dominate the App Store charts :D

DayvanCowboy wrote:It´s a little bit of a mystery to me, why this app isn´t breaking through as it should, since the Yamaha DX 7 was one of the most sold synths of all time, and programming it must have been terrible...
In a word: presets. People often call the DX7 the sound of the 80s, but it was more accurately the default preset bank that was the sound of the 80s IMO. Patches like E Piano 1 (the sound of a million ballads) and the bass patch with the swell after it (can't remember if that was Bass 1 or 2) were absolutely everywhere. Very few seemed to take the time to actually program it. The proliferation of those presets has led to the DX7 having a really poor reputation these days, which is a shame as it can sound wild in the right hands. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-hML-I5RV0

Thanks for the heads-up on this iPad synth btw! Always looking for more interesting mobile instruments.

Oh, and for contrast, those ubiquitous DX7 presets you know and hate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3rrjQtQe5A

I haven't played it but from the screenshots it looks like you couldn't do much sound design with it as it has removed a lot of controls that would be in the full synth to make it simpler.

All 3 BB plugins have been under my radar since day 1 and like the audiodemos very much.

Crap is, they all cover a section of sound that I prefer in the main studio, hardware or in the box...drums for mixing and insert fxs and fm stuff for finetuning.
Maybe I'm just jealous of not having them as vstis and/or because I want some kind of patch export.

And, probably the only truth...having Fm4 app, FmDrive vsti, Lxr, Dx200, VolcaFm (with Touchbase) and a forgotten Fm8 I'm just sick and a never ending rant.
I haven't played it but from the screenshots it looks like you couldn't do much sound design with it as it has removed a lot of controls that would be in the full synth to make it simpler.
As usual, you've nailed one of my doubts. :hihi:

aMUSEd wrote:I haven't played it but from the screenshots it looks like you couldn't do much sound design with it as it has removed a lot of controls that would be in the full synth to make it simpler.
I have no idea how the sounddesign capabilities of this app match up with the dx 7 synth, but i do feel there is a lot of depth:
  • 6 operators configurable in 42 different algorithms
    12 different waveforms including white noise
    Individual envelopes for each operator
    Operators can be switched to AM
    gain/overdrive delay reverb etc
    Every operator and it´s parameter accessible by MIDI-CC, according to the manual
It certainly isn´t intended to be a DX 7 recreation, it does have some similarities, that comes with the 6-operator FM-Territory. I should have been more clear about that. Nevertheless, it fills a void in my synth arsenal, there´s a preset called "Pads of Canada" for example :hihi:

The sounds i´m building atm are mostly slightly distorted, detuned leads/pads with longer attack/release times that can sound "broken" and vintage right out of the box. Loving it!

The touch interface is just a great way to explore this complex synthesis type, and i absolutely prefer a maybe somewhat "limited" synth that i can master and enjoy to a vst monster that is hard to work with...

DayvanCowboy wrote:You called it "Phrasemaker" that´s why i couldn´t find it in the search :)
Thanks, changed. I was obviously distracted, probably by it, when I posted.

IMHO the controls are deeper than they seem and are more than enough whilst still being straight forward to program. Well, as straight forward as FM gets.

DayvanCowboy wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:I haven't played it but from the screenshots it looks like you couldn't do much sound design with it as it has removed a lot of controls that would be in the full synth to make it simpler.
I have no idea how the sounddesign capabilities of this app match up with the dx 7 synth, but i do feel there is a lot of depth:
  • 6 operators configurable in 42 different algorithms
    12 different waveforms including white noise
    Individual envelopes for each operator
    Operators can be switched to AM
    gain/overdrive delay reverb etc
    Every operator and it´s parameter accessible by MIDI-CC, according to the manual
OK I suppose the main thing is it isn't clear from the screenshots whether you can just select different algos or actually edit the modulation relationship between operators within them.

Check out the manual here

http://ruismaker.com/wp-content/uploads ... _guide.pdf

The blurb is bit brief.

Thanks - guess I will be getting this then, it does seem deep enough

khanyz wrote: IMHO the controls are deeper than they seem and are more than enough whilst still being straight forward to program. Well, as straight forward as FM gets.
I feel the same way, and FM is really about the nuances. Hitting these sweet spots with the overtones that change a sound dramatically, is just great with this app and the touch interface. It´s an astounding sonic spectrum in a very clean and like you´ve said, straightforward package. And for a ridiculous price! Hence, buy this app everyone :clap:

aMUSEd wrote:Thanks - guess I will be getting this then, it does seem deep enough
Awesome, i´m sure you´ll be very happy with it!

And, probably the only truth...having Fm4 app, FmDrive vsti, Lxr, Dx200, VolcaFm (with Touchbase) and a forgotten Fm8 I'm just sick and a never ending rant
Just checked out the FM4, which i´ve never even heard of either, looks very interesting as well, really like the demo on the website. Seems to have a more vintage character to it compared to the Bram Bos. I´m a sucker for Lo-Fi sounds! Guess i´ll have to buy it xD

There's also TF7 which sounds good and has a great playing UI, where each note is a pad with swipe modulation. No AU though and in-app purchases for features, which I don't like (preset in-apps I don't mind).

Phasemaker is the best, though IMO. For sound, programming and AU goodness.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”